Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My 05' Forester started to generate some grinding noise and rattling sound when I make sharp turns at low speed. It only happens when I need to turn the steering wheel all the way close to the left or right extreme. Any clue or suggestion?

Thanks,
ZT

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1 Posts
Same Noises

My mate Lori just came home from Autoscandia in Herndon, VA with a $1300 repair estimate to replace the rack and pinion assembly and tie rods on her 2001 Subaru Forester. On very slow left turns into parking spaces she gets a clicking / grinding sound, and she claims it occasionally binds without seizing. The Autoscandia mechanic said the right rack boot was torn and leaking, and judge from this that the seals were broken. I am not so sure. The Diagnostics Page from the Forester 2001 Shop Manual for the rack and pinion assembly starts with this -- "Caution: It is likely that although one judges fluid leakage, there is actually no leakage. This is because the fluid spilt during the last maintenance was not completely wiped off."

I'm at a loss as to why the sound seem to emanate from the left front when the right front boot is broken. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Need to locate the sound. My grinding is coming from my brake booster. The sound got quieter with a new vacuum hose but don't know if you have the same exact sound. Is it coming from behind your dash?

You could always change the power steering fluid too..

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
When I bought my forester, the guy before me put the front sway bar in upside down/backwards. It mad a nasty grinding sound on sharp turns either left or right. Check it out?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts