Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the GrimmSpeed license plate relocation kit for my 2012 LGT, but after selling it, thought I could use the same bolt on the 2014 SJ XT; nope. The GT's bolt was about 1.5" from clearing the front bumper. After consulting with GrimmSpeed and paying $32 (w/ S/H) for the 2008+ WRX bolt, I finally mounted the front plate. Here's the result:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forcefully, yet slowly, bent the bracket to conform with the bumper; not sure if you can see that. I slide the mount to the far end of the plate-mount. I think it looks better than parallel with the original plate location.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
I would do something like that if I didn't live in nyc since people parallel park it would get bent into my bumper.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
Hey guys......where did you buy the grimmspeed relocation kit.....and how did you specify the right tow-hook bolt size so that I won't be sent the wrong one.....also....if anyone had went with the plate delete.....which wrx model year are we supposed to go with (on the grimmspeed website they want you to pick a model year range for "correct fitment").....didn't know something as simple and standard? as a front license plate bracket/delete was variable.......any help is appreciated.....I'm in the process of buying goodies for the XT to put on for the summer.....

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
Hey guys......where did you buy the grimmspeed relocation kit.....and how did you specify the right tow-hook bolt size so that I won't be sent the wrong one.....also....if anyone had went with the plate delete.....which wrx model year are we supposed to go with (on the grimmspeed website they want you to pick a model year range for "correct fitment").....didn't know something as simple and standard? as a front license plate bracket/delete was variable.......any help is appreciated.....I'm in the process of buying goodies for the XT to put on for the summer.....
wrx 08-14

I bought an 02-07 and he got a legacy gt which is the same part number.

BRZ and the newer 15 do fit but they are longer bolts If i recall...

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
wrx 08-14

I bought an 02-07 and he got a legacy gt which is the same part number.

BRZ and the newer 15 do fit but they are longer bolts If i recall...
Thanks!

If you don't mind....can you tell me where you purchased it from....and also.....I assume you just selected WRX 08-14 and bought the kit for that timeframe correct?

·
Registered
2015 FXT CVT
15 Posts
Just out of curiosity ... why do you not want the front plate in the middle?
I'm guessing you're talking about the original location for it? I can't stand front license plates and especially when it blocks the sexiness of the XT's front bumper. Unfortunately CA is required to have it so I bought the GrimmSpeed as well and am picking it up this morning.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Has anyone considered implications for having that bolt going into the bumper all the time?

The owners manual states that driving around with the recovery bolt (in same location) can cause airbag deployment problems in an accident.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
Mine got hit a few times, but the minor accident no airbag deployed.

I'm not too worried since it will bend lol..

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
49 Posts
Ended up purchasing one of these after I got a ticket for being parked on the side of the road with no front license plate. Didn't care for how far it stuck out from the front of the car. I ground down maybe a 1/8"-1/4" off each side of it and remounted it with the curved bracket reversed. Much closer to the front bumper now. I should have measured the distance beforehand, but I didn't.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts