Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 5 Speed Manual
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my SG5 Fozzy I orderd the Grimmspeed master brake cylinder brace to have that extra feel/bite with my OEM disks and HP+ hawk pads.
I don't feel a difference between for and after install.

It only fits with three bolts. Two on the side wear the fuel filter bracket is placed and one where you have to pop out a plastic clip that hold some lines.

As you can see it does block the master cylinder.
In my case just an other hyped thing in forum world.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
OEM pedal travel for some season have too much free play. Adjusting those are the biggest improvement I got from stock brakes. The rod between the pedal and the master cylinder need to be adjusted to give no more than 2-4 mm of free play. Don't forget to adjust the brake light switch too.
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/adjust-brake-pedal-free-play-7436.html?

This master cylinder brace only noticeable under hard braking when you flex the firewall. I definitely notice difference but not under all circumstances.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is it brace placed on your car?
On mine I only had three mounting points.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Have you bled your brake system? Do that and I'll bet you will feel a difference. The effect of the master cylinder brace is only really noticeable under heavy braking where the force against the master cylinder causes the brake booster housing to flex.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
186 Posts
I noticed a big difference with this. Summer you didn't.
Ditto, I had one of these in my Impreza, it was REALLY noticeable, even to my doubting friend who helped me install it.

Just be careful tightening it, as after a couple years of track days I developed a slow leak between the booster and master cylinder, needed to be replaced. I suspect it was aggravated by the brake brace.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you bled your brake system? Do that and I'll bet you will feel a difference. The effect of the master cylinder brace is only really noticeable under heavy braking where the force against the master cylinder causes the brake booster housing to flex.
Ofcourse the system was bled.
I think I must brake harder or my master cylinder isn't that bad at all :p

·
Registered
2010 forester x manual
66 Posts
just installed mine on my 2010x. I can honestly say that there is a big difference even under low speed stopping. pedal is much firmer from the get go and this is with no other brake mods. I would say this is a must have to anyone who ummm, well who has driven any other car with power brakes!
good job Grim!
I can say that the cup on mine does not line up perfect with the center of the master cylinder, but there is enough play due to the cup design that it does sit flush.
anyone else with an sh want to chime in?

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Automatic
219 Posts
I have the MC brace, SS lines, stoptech pads, and motul fluid. HUGE difference compared to stock as the brakes feel significantly more responsive. Also, however much pressure i'm placing on the brakes is equal to the amount of brake pressure on the pads. Before these mods, the forester felt like it had sponges for brakes.

·
Registered
2007 forester xt auto
222 Posts
Seems to me an easy way to see if this works is to have someone pound on the brake pedal and watch for movement of the MC. If it moves the brace will work.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
35 Posts
OEM pedal travel for some season have too much free play. Adjusting those are the biggest improvement I got from stock brakes. The rod between the pedal and the master cylinder need to be adjusted to give no more than 2-4 mm of free play. Don't forget to adjust the brake light switch too.
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/adjust-brake-pedal-free-play-7436.html?

This master cylinder brace only noticeable under hard braking when you flex the firewall. I definitely notice difference but not under all circumstances.
Pedal adjustment took about two minutes and feels like new breaks! Stupid easy things that make a world of difference. For street driving.

Still think I'm gonna get the MC brace and do a full sys bleed replacing with some high grade fluid. Always want more stop on the track.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts
Ofcourse the system was bled.
I think I must brake harder or my master cylinder isn't that bad at all :p
This part doesn't fix anything if the master cylinder is bad, it is there to keep the firewall from flexing under heavy braking. If you aren't pushing the brake pedal hard enough for the the firewall to flex - that's a good thing.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT LTD 4EAT
16 Posts
just installed mine on my 2010x. I can honestly say that there is a big difference even under low speed stopping. pedal is much firmer from the get go and this is with no other brake mods. I would say this is a must have to anyone who ummm, well who has driven any other car with power brakes!

good job Grim!

I can say that the cup on mine does not line up perfect with the center of the master cylinder, but there is enough play due to the cup design that it does sit flush.

anyone else with an sh want to chime in?

I've got one on my '10 XT and noticed an immediate improvement for all braking scenarios...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts