Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I must say that is quite clever. That is much less work than my method. Do you have any installed pictures, I am curious to see how it looks with that much of the width gone.

Good job.

TAGXT04 said:
I'd like to add that I just did a similar mod to the existing grill for under $40. If you are careful it's possible to do for the cost of the mesh ($20), zip ties ($.06) and Dremel cutting disks ($dunno.)

Here's the thread http://www.subaruforester.org/viewtopic.php?t=420

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Hate to ask this but can you get us a shot from the rear 3/4 of the grill? I'd like to see how much plastic surround you wound up taking off......

Thanks, it really does look good. I just wish that we could find some deeper plastic mesh that doesn't show the hood latch and radiator support as much...

Steve

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
I'll have to take it off and get the shot of the sides. Across the top is basically down to the screw landings for the bezel. That way the mesh laid flat across them and the same screw holds the mesh and the bezel. You can see it in this shot:

The mesh has little "tabs" on the right and left sides that wrap down to the same screw landings.

More pictures, including the installed picture, are in this thread: http://subaruforester.org/viewtopic.php?t=420

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
toysbyus said:
I just wish that we could find some deeper plastic mesh that doesn't show the hood latch and radiator support as much...
The flash in the photos does makes it worse. So does the "white" from the dried salt spray characteristic of the treatments used in the northeast for melting snow. I think a good bath, and maybe some black spray paint on the latch and radiator, would improve the look.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
careful when choosing grilles like this one

see the side pieces that go between the grille and headlight. those are add-ons, i beieve and stick out more than on our stock USDMs. I had a thread about a Crossports JDM grille I got a few years ago and had fitment issues.

the grille itself is pretty sweet, but the gaps under the bumper and along the sides made it look really ghetto. The grille i had is still actually at gruppe-s if anyone wants to buy it from them. they can probably order the matching bumper and side pieces, but you'd probably have to sell your kidneys.

There are some euro and jdm grilles that should fit our USDMs, just a find one with a whole pic of the front of the car so u can tell if u need the side pieces and/or another bumper.

The DIY mod looks pretty nice and affordable.

I just removed my chrome border and got it painted for $30 bucks. Takes only a few minutes to take off. (sorry no closeup)

the shop guy said he sanded it down and prepped it well, blah blah blah, but a trip to the mtns/snow will show that he really didn't, but nothing a little touch-up paint can't fix and it was only $30bucks. I got quoted a hundred or so by another shop who said that's how much it would cost to do it right.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Evil XT said:
I think im gettin gone. It looks mesh with the Subaru sign in the middle right...I think I have a pic..

I want this one....

Will it fit ours? Cheammotors.co.uk can pretty much get us anything we want. They are doing alot of group buys through the legacy boards

Nick
Hahah...that looks exactly like mine now except mine is black...cost me roughly $70 bux total for the mod...including cost of the used grill. I will post new pics next week.

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
wondering if it will fit..

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
I'd like to add that I just did a similar mod to the existing grill for under $40. If you are careful it's possible to do for the cost of the mesh ($20), zip ties ($.06) and Dremel cutting disks ($dunno.)

Here's the thread http://www.subaruforester.org/viewtopic.php?t=420
I like the way you made that. the mesh is set more foward...PMed You
Thanks
Nick

21 - 28 of 28 Posts