Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester Premium Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been a long time Subaru driver. Currently I have a 02 WRX with "a few" custom mods. My wife has been driving an 04 Camry for a few years, but we just picked up an 06 Forester Premium with 17k on the clock. Since it's mainly her car, I can't modify it the way I want to. However, I do have the ok for some external mods. I want to keep the ride as stock as possible. Currently looking at Subtle Solutions 1" lift blocks, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires (ran them on my wrx when it was lifted...great tires), WRX rear sway bar, roof basket, and 2 of the 20" Cree 10k lumen LED bars. What happens after that, who knows. I've got a lot of reading to do.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
Welcome from Elizabethtown. I bought my 08 at the york dealership. You might want to check the sparkl plugs. Now yours doesn't have a whole lot of miles...but its 100% that the plug tubes leak oil so if you pull the boots they will have oil on them. If that's the case maybe you can get them fixed if you bought it at a dealership.

·
Registered
06 Forester Premium Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adc: I'm down in Wrightsville. We inherited the Forester from my wife's grandmother. She used to to go to church and the grocery store. LOL, the longest trip it has taken in it's life was the drive to our house when we went to pick it up. I will have to see if there is still a warranty or not. Is leaking tubes common? I'm assuming the leak would be from the grommet gaskets on the valve cover.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
Welcome from Western PA. . Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
I will have to see if there is still a warranty or not. Is leaking tubes common? I'm assuming the leak would be from the grommet gaskets on the valve cover.
I assume you are out of warranty since its not through a dealer.
Its not only common, its a certainty. You might want to do plugs. It calls for every 20K miles. Now its normally good for at least 40K miles but since they have been there so long you want to get them out of there.

One other thing I would do is gradually (perodically over the next month/year)....accelerate it to 4000 rpm's a bunchj of times (2nd gear). Then 4500 rpm's , 5000 rpms til you get it to a few undred rpms short of red line. That engine probably has never seen 4000 rpms. You want to make sure the cylinder wall doesn't develop a ridge in it.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Prem. auto.
46 Posts
svynx

Welcome from western Pa. Wow! 17k on an '06, sweet! The advice from the other poster about the spark plug sockets leaking oil is very sound. A very common occurrence if not a certainty. The O-rings that separate the plug sockets from the cams' oil supply fail, allowing oil to enter the socket, soaking the plug and plug wire, eventually causing a mis-fire and check eng. light. If you pull a plug and the boot is wet with oil, the seals are gonzo. However, due to your low miles, you may be good to go for a long time. Good luck, the best snow car, ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts