Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About two seconds ago, my son asked if we could call the new car "Blue Lightning." I reminded him that it is actually green, so he just switched the color in the name. Works for me.

It replaced a stock 04 TS 5MT in silver about a month ago. The TS was bought new with 11 miles on it from Van Bortel, and had 143k on it exactly ten years later. Forester had 45k when I picked it up from the same dealer.

Less than 24 hours later, I found a large air fitting in the road with my right rear tire about two miles from home. Was able to repair it without any issues.

Not doing anything fancy to it- a daily driver that sometimes gets stuff thrown on the roof. So far it has -

Yakima landing pads and control towers (reused old round bar system from the Impreza)
Pioneer FH-X700BT with JDM bezel
OEM remote start (was on the vehicle when I bought it, but they missed that when they listed it). :woohoo:

Thinking about adding -
Diode Dyamics stage 3 kit
Front and rear sway bars
Weathertechs for the floor
@Chucker

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Put the bike rack back on the round bars to move bikes from mother-in-law's back to our house now that the kids are riding bikes. Replaced broken pins on the fairing with nuts and bolts, and still need to replace worn pads on bottom of fairing braces.

Picked up a full set of Weathertech digitals and a red footwell illumination kit from sf.org member BlkDog. They went in last night.

Also have 19mm Sti RSB on hand, but wasn't able to break end links loose. Having a local shop toss it on for me next Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
Seems like a good start. Congrats!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I may back off of the stage threes, and just go stage two except for the tailgate light. Map lights would be red, others would be white.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't claim that the red was my idea - I read it somewhere else on here, and it made perfect sense to me. Diode Dynamics order went in yesterday morning, should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Went with Stage 2 red maps, Stage 2 cool white dome & doors, and Stage 3 cool white trunk light. Got 10% off of the order for telling them about a broken link on their website :rock: Was tempted to get Stage 3 backups, but I'll save that for some other time.

19mm STI rear sway bar was just installed a few minutes ago by small shop here called Turning Leaf Automotive - they came recommended by soloz2. Bar came from user pdaeng when he upgraded to a Whiteline bar.

I'm not totally OCD, but now am thinking about changing the cubby and accent between the map lights to red as well....

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Diode Dynamics order arrived today. Apologies ahead of time for sketchy cellphone pics.

The goods -

Whole trunk fixture popped out easily just by pressing on driver's side adjacent to the light. Stage 3 trunk light fit into the trunk light fixture OK. Nice that they provide attachments for two bulb types.

Stage 3 cool white trunk light in place (no idea how the hell I got crap up there) -

Stage 2 cool white dome light in place -

Door light (before) -

Stage 2 cool white door light (after) Needed to rotate endcaps on both lights before I got a good connection -

Map lights, one stock, one Stage 2 red for comparison's sake-

Saved stock bulbs, put them back in DD's packaging, and stashed them in the cargo area for the future. Pretty happy with the purchase. Can't wait to see them after dark. :Banane02:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Went to the park while the kids were at a friend's house. I shudder to think what the stock carpet mats would have looked like. WeatherTechs for the win!

Mud. It's what makes a a Subaru, a Subaru.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amazon order arrived. Fumoto 105 and T-70 bit. Stashed in the cargo area for future use.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More Amazon goodness inbound - Weathertech rainguards should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny thing is, with summer dawn/dusk, I haven't been in the car after dark yet.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Rain guards came a day early :woohoo: Would have taken less than two minutes per window, but I had a seven year old helping me, so maybe ten minutes total, tops.

Driver's door, front bottom corner -

Driver's door top rear corner, including funhouse-style selfie -

Driver's side rear. Note no WT sticker on the piece, so you have to take an extra half second to check if it is the LH or RH part, since install instruction state that stickers go to rear.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Quick semi-overexposed cell phone shot before heading to work, showing rainguards installed.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Took the Foz up to camp for the first time. Filled 29 water jugs, with some "assistance."

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OEM tweeter kit arrived. I think it took longer to open and dispose of the packaging than it took to install. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Diode Dynamics is too damned fast. I placed an order at 0830 on Friday morning for tail lights and backup lights before heading off to my son's field trip with him. I realized while on the trip that I forgot to get the third brake light, too. By the time I got home at 1350, the order had already shipped two hours earlier at 1145. :raspberry:

The order arrived in the Monday morning mail. My son and I installed them real quick before dinner, so only a few pics. The goods -

The old along with the new -

The install tech finishing up the job -

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Found my old plate rings from college when I was at Mom and Pop's for Father's Day. They represent the 174th Tactical Fighter Wing, New York Air National Guard. They were given to me by my best man- his dad was a senior officer in the unit during a Desert Storm.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just missed getting T-Boned yesterday while on vacation. Person sitting at a stop sign on a side street somehow didn't see me coming, and pulled out just as I was entering the intersection. Snappy Foz steering and a reasonably quick reaction from my old fat butt saved the passenger side from impact. My wife said the other vehicle was less than a foot from her at its closest point.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts