Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What it says really. Hazy Headlights. I’ve tried a couple of kits and think probably worse off then when I started. Read tip about the wonders of Brasso. So I did the Forester and the Legacy this morning. Brilliant results. Put it on with a quilted kitchen towel then left it for about 5 minutes. Buffed it off with a microfibre cloth and really really good. I hope this works as well for you as it did for me. ATVB. Alan

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
143 Posts
Any mild paste abrasive should work. I use a headlight cleaner that is quite similar. I suspect ceramic stove top cleaner would work as well. The key though is applying a coat or two of paste wax afterward, or taping off the headlights/ removing them and applying a coat of UV resistant clear coat.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,461 Posts
My mate who has dentures used tooth paste(on his lenses) after I told him it would work and it did !
When his wife asked him where the tooth paste had gone he said " how the f%&k should I know ive got no teeth"

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
284 Posts
Once used brasso on a turnatble pespex cover. Brilliant result, until it exploded whilst I was polishing it....apparantly, there is ammonia in brasso as well as the abrasives that makes some plastics brittle. Not trying to rain on your parade, just a cautionary tale.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,086 Posts
I've used the toothpaste method on headlights to good effect too - I found a toothpaste with those little "scrubber bits" in worked best compared to a smoother paste if that makes sense.

Sunlight will have a similar effect on surgical scarring as it does on headlights, slowly fading them

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
145 Posts
I used the Turtle Wax kit with abrasive and polish. It was only about 12 bucks and worked well

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
143 Posts
I use the turtle wax kit as well. In fact, haven't even used the sanding pads, just the cleanser, and the lens polish. Did it today while putting a coat of wax on the Forester for winter protection. With a coat of turtle wax on the lenses and buff, the headlights look great.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
162 Posts
Brasso is a new one, sounds good.
I occasionally use solvol autosol ( metal polish in a tube) on a green jiffy pad, followed by a coat of wax. Works well
Dont like spending my money on fancy new fangled kits with more packaging than substance and supporting their advertisements!

·
Registered
2004 Forester STi
64 Posts
I wet sanded them down to 1000grit, & sprayed with UV resistant clearcoat. That way they don't need repeated polishing each year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wo there sounds more dangerous than adding 50/50 methanol/water injection to your fuel system. 🤣
Not sure what's so dangerous about water injection systems. Been dabbling in water injection and hydrogen generators for 20 or more years now at first building my own generators and coupling them with commercially available water injection units. In the winter, have to add isopropyl alcohol to keep water from freezing and keep a 5 gal can of racing fuel around to achieve the same effect. This company https://aquatuneinternational.com/ now produces them. I had their original water injection unit many years ago prior to their combining it into one unit now. Have this one on my one Baja and installed the old water injection with a separate hydrogen generator which nets 50 - 55 mpg on a restored 91 Chrysler LeBaron conv't I rebuilt that has a V6 motor. Biggest safety thing is to make sure you have a good check valve in the hydrogen hose because you in essence are riding around with a hydrogen bomb under the hood that in the unlikely event of a backfire, BOOM!

·
Registered
2015 2015 2.5i Touring CVT
101 Posts
I used "standard" toothpaste and a soft cloth and buffed out the haze in my wife's 2005 Outback headlight covers. Looked brand new; about 10' per headlight.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
23 Posts
Another +1 for the gritty tooth paste. It has worked good for my old Corolla and need to get some more for my Subaru since the regular stuff isn’t doing as good a job.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
671 Posts
I've used the toothpaste method on headlights to good effect too - I found a toothpaste with those little "scrubber bits" in worked best compared to a smoother paste if that makes sense.

Sunlight will have a similar effect on surgical scarring as it does on headlights, slowly fading them
Yep, tartar control toothpaste and buff with wet cloth. I'd be wary of anything like Brasso due to the solvents that are usually an ingredient and not good for plastic. If you use a buffing wheel dont' go to hard or fast or it can melt the plastic.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
350 Posts
Evening all, I went down the toothpaste route this evening, I couldn't find any brasso in the cupboards, I added a bit of baking sofa, or bicarbonate of soda (not sure which?).

Honestly it's amazing!

20191115_193619.jpg 20191115_193605.jpg

It's hard to tell with the fact it's night time but I could see the difference instantly!!!

Another product I considered, but didn't use was this stuff:
20191115_184356.jpg 20191115_184411.jpg

Not sure if you can see on the pic, but it says it can be used on acrylic, fibreglass etc, not sure if I want to risk it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts