Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been just over a month now but since I still love how my car turned out I figured I would share my experience

So in early Oct I went to Ray for a nice conservatve tune for my 06 forester xt. He asked what parts I had into it and my driving habits so he could have a better perspective as to what to give me.

After setting a date and changing it due to the dyno needing a part I went with a friend down to Albany to meet up with Ray.

At first I was wondering where he was as it turned out he ran into traffic or something. But it didn't matter because wwhile I waited Steve the guy who ran the shop gave me and my friend a private car show I mean 1026hp ctsv Cadillac 950hp Integra evo's supras. Needless to say it past the time.

After Ray got there and we got my car hooked up we set a couple base lines to see where my car was at. 227hp and 246 lb ft. Not bad for a little over one hundred thousand miles and my mods. After an hour or two later of runs cool downs and smoke breaks we got my car finely I mean buttery smoth 256hp and 308lb ft . I was happy and so was Ray
I took it for a test drive and it drove better. Not that it was bad before. But every rpm was so smooth and clean

Overall it was a great experience. Ray didn't stop until we were both happy and they even thought it was a nice break on there ears since I had an sti cat back. I would definitely recommend [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT Touring High Torque CVT
701 Posts
Good to know and thanks for sharing.
It's hard to find knowledgeable, honest, talented people nowadays and, having owned an interior renovation business, I know good word of mouth is (just like in the Amex commercials)... Priceless.
I've heard good things about Ray from other members of this forum. I think I'll reach out to him once Cobb comes out with the AP for my XT!

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
Good call @Gdaddy721, ive had nothing but great things to say as well about my back and forths with Ray. Loved the way my XT has functioned after each change/tune with him. I drive it in a variety of conditions/areas/circumstances and its performed wonderfully in every way. Rips on the ol' backroads and still enjoys sitting in the terrible commute traffic of SEPA, haha.

As @fxtny mentioned....it's nice to see someone that covers the broad spectrum of enthusiasts (and shows equal interest whether you going for 10sec 1/4s or just want your XT to run a little healthier) and is always willing to help/answer questions/explain things/etc. I've said it before probably on here...but i happen to live couple blocks away from 1 darn big subaru performance shop (Cobb protuner/dealer) and another pretty well rounded shop...but still don't think twice about calling anyone but Ray when i think about my next round of mods.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Quantum race works is the shop Ray protuned my car out of in Ravena NY . And like I said everyone there was helpful and nice.
Ray said Natefisher from this forum had his car done the day before mine so I would like to see how his came out.

And my dyno graph and mods list can be seen on the last page (61) of the dyno sheets thread.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it hasn't even been a year and I took a much needed trip to rays a couple weeks ago,

I recently installed A vf43 Bigger up pipe and fuel pump on top of my already present mods
Cobb intake
Perrin turbo inlet
"Vf43"
Sti tmic
Cobb throttle body coupler
"Larger up pipe"
4" bell mouth 3" down pipe
"Turbo xs mid pipe"
Sti axle back
and of course a walbrou 255
oh and accesport.....

Ray was right on time , probably because Steve told him to be there an hour earlier ha,

Said he got a brand spanken New evo for the wife and what not,

after getting the dyno packs attached the tuning part took much less time than the previous visit

All said and done my 2006 forester xt with manual trans.... Is sitting at

311hp and 342 lb ft of torque
I am very happy and great thanks to Ray!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's real good nate, up there with most modern v8's

Thanks fxterrific I'm very happy with the results

anyone have a good clutch kit recommendation, don't need one yet however I like to plan for the future and will buy one some time this summer or sooner if need be

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,186 Posts
Unless you pushing enough power to cause slipping, I'd stay as close to stock as possible. Exedy stage 1 maybe (I think they may make the OEM one if I'm not mistaken). But I'd probably stick with OEM. As clutches get stronger, the driveability goes down, its a tradeoff.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
311hp and 342lb ft

The exedy stage one says it holds 300 Hp is that to close for comfort or is it just me being paronoid ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another +1 for Ray. He's very patient, very knowledgeable, fast respond time and I even got a good deal on a TMIC from him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts