Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 forester xt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished greasing my 04 sti struts and now my car sits almost 2" higher than when I took it apart. Does anyone know if it will settle back down? I like the ride height before I greased them but I had the typical clunking. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Have you driven it yet. If not, drive it about a mile, then measure it.

·
Premium Member
04 XT 6spd
946 Posts
i have sti struts and have been thinking of doing the same, except, i'm thinking of changing the springs out. if i were to drop it another inch i think it would look sweet. what do you think.

·
Registered
05 forester xt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have sti struts and have been thinking of doing the same, except, i'm thinking of changing the springs out. if i were to drop it another inch i think it would look sweet. what do you think.
I drove it 35 miles no change. Not sure whats goin on. Pretty frustrating I loved the way it looked before cant understand why it would sit that much higher from just greasing them?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you over packed the grease into the strut below the guide bushings where it serves no purpose. This would in theory keep the strut from compressing if there isn't enough of an air gap for the excess grease to bleed out. Seeing a lot of grease weeping out of either end?

This is how you do it properly. Highly recommend the zerk fittings as well.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1911692

·
Registered
05 forester xt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I can think of is you over packed the grease into the strut below the guide bushings where it serves no purpose. This would in theory keep the strut from compressing if there isn't enough of an air gap for the excess grease to bleed out. Seeing a lot of grease weeping out of either end?
no grease weaping... I forwarded the link I found on here to my mechanic and now that you mention it the pictures looked like they filled the entire body with grease. It has lowering springs on it so I expect it to ride rough but now it doesnt seem to hardly compress at all. If that entire body was filled your theory might be right, thanks

·
Registered
05 forester xt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is how you do it properly. Highly recommend the zerk fittings as well.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1911692
wow thats and awesome write up! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts