Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STi 6 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my forester was experiencing some clicking noises on sharp left turns when accelerating. I thought maybe it was the CV axles, so I went under to check them out. The CV axle boots were good, but I did see that grease was coming out of the top of the outer tie rod boot on both ends. The boots don't seem to be torn. This is a 2015 Forester with about 70k. I'm not sure if it was always like this, but they are the original tie rods. Is this excess grease that worked its way out or is something wrong? I guess the CV axle could still be bad without any tears to the boot, since I don't think an outer tie rod would making clicking noises on a turn? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,249 Posts
Tie rods don't tend to click to when failing. They just get looser over time. Jacking the car up and pulling at the tire with your hands at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position is a good test to see how loose your tire rods are (tires do have some inherent flex though remember). If they are so loose they are clicking, this should be obvious. Grease leaking out is abnormal for tie rods, but the boots on them still look to be filled with some grease so it could have been excess.

With hands at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock you can try to wobble to wheel. That will test for the ball joint. Ball joints tend to make one large pop or crack on turning when failing however.

When I had Michelin pilot sport exaltos on my 2003 forester I had clicking on turns with them. I initially thought it was my CV joints, but when I replaced the tires the clicking went away (no rocks or nails in them). It must have been the wear bars on the tread indicating that they were almost at 2/32" of tread. Could be the same for you.

CV joints can fail and the boots still appear intact. There could be a small tear that is hard to visualize or it could just be a defective joint.

·
Registered
2008 STi 6 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Issue has been fixed and it turned out to be a bad CV axle.

When still trying to figure out what the problem was, I did some testing in a parking lot to try and isolate the noise. It was clicking from the driver's side on sharp, accelerating left and right turns. The noise was louder turning left. Decided to ordered a CV axle from a junkyard online and hoped that was the solution. CV axle boots on the car were good. I disconnected the sway bar endlink, control arm lower ball joint, and tie rod end to get the axle out. This is the alternate method versus undoing the strut, which might require a new alignment. Was able to get a better look at tie rod end and ball joint, and rubber boots were good on them. Installed the new, used axle and no more noise on subsequent test drive. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts