Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car on the road this morning after the Walbro install. It has been up on Jack stands for the last week or so. It is currently tuned using the Cobb VF39 map as directed by DBtuned. My appointment is Thursday morning for the dyno tune. I am "talking" here because my wife and kids look at me like I am from mars when I talk about my progress and the power.

Results:

I have not given the car more than 1/3 throttle and not over 3500 RPM so far. The car is TOTALLY different and wants to go! The power is amazing. I can't wait until after the tune on Thursday! Looks cool at the stoplight with smoke billowing out of the hood scoop from the DEI wrap on the downpipe. The kids want the old guy to get out of the car before he burns up. I am glad I did not put on the silicone spray stuff. I wrapped the Cobb pipe from the top to just before the cat and modified the stock turbo heat shield. I had a new cobb heat shield on hand but felt like the stocker would work better with some mods.

Mods this week:

Grimmspeed Ceremic PnP sti exhaust
STi uppipe
New VF48
STi TMIC
Stock airbox right down to the fram filter
Cobb catted downpipe
STi midpipe and muffler
Walbro 255
New Colder plugs (Cobb reccomendation)
Cobb VF39 map (used with caution until tune!!)

Suspension:

Swift springs
Perrin rear sway bar
Lateral link weld supports

Mods coming:
02-03 STi scoop
Subtle splitter
Subtle Chimney
Some type of brake upgrades

I was able to grind off the exhaust hanger fron the forester pipe behind the muffler towards the front of the car. It is exactly opposite of the STi one. I will weld it on today and there is no need to remove the STi hanger.

OK sorry I am excited:woohoo:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
Good for you! Congrats. I'm the only one in my family that mods my car. Everybody thinks its a waste of money and energy, but at least my wife supports my interests. She doesn't get it, but she supports me. She knows what's what I enjoy.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
my question is if you are running the VF48 and the STI TMIC and do not have the 02-03 scoop and splitter yet are you concerned with the limited air flow for cooling. I like your set up alot this is my plan, are the stock injectoring going to be fine?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Nice setup! I have nearly the identical setup, just a VF39 instead of a VF48. Besides that, all your current and future plans are what I run. I think you will love the setup!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Staying out of boost is like saying no to the second glass of wine. I can do it if I set my mind to it but I don't like it!

I am worried about cooling the TMIC air but I have the 2002-03 STi scoop on order. I was thinking that here in Tahoe I should be fine until I can get the scoop. The highest temp so far has been 60 as part of a heat wave and when I go to work in the morning it is below freezing.

As far as the stock 2005 XT injectors being OK I have no idea. I have not been able to confirm exactly what I have. I have read that the stockers will limit me to 300 hp and are the same as the 2004-2005 STi whaterer they are. I have no intention of pushing the car that hard. I am hopeful for a 275/275 tune.

So " be Careful" and "stay out of boost" . I have been told by Cobb and my tuner that I should be OK as long as I dont go crazy and I dont intend to. What happens if I hammer it to see what it will do? I don't intend to though I am just curious and I will be driving over a major mountain to get to the tuner so I am a bit nervous.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
Staying with stock injectors is a good "limit" to keep a lid on HP and preserve driveline parts. Once you cross that line be prepared to "pay to play."

You'll be rockin' once you're tuned!
This is exactly why I'm not doing injectors either. Too easy to upgrade everything else from that point.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
I'm going to be in this boat soon, but with a VF43. I also have the 4EAT. What would be a good hp/tq limit to keep that tranny on board for a few more years?
Less than 300 hp/tq at the wheels. With the VF43 you'll be around 260-280, depending on supporting mods and tune.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,503 Posts
I've been running STi turbo and TMIC with stock splitter and scoop for 1 1/2 years and 25K+ miles, it'll be fine.

Stan
I have a stock scoop as well with STi TMIC/VF39. I really don't think it's a problem unless you plan to track the car... my TMIC doesn't feel hot to the touch after I drive around town.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
of course itll be fine, but it can only improve things once the larger scoop and splitter are involved. this is also a mod that wont show gains on a dyno because of lack of real world conditions (ie: enough air flow), but once on the street or track it will be slightly noticeable.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Oh, no doubt. I've just been lazy putting off installing the scoop and splitter because the scoop is white. I'm just going to primer it black and throw it on along with the Subtle splitter, then order NPB paint in a spraycan from Subarugenuineparts.com. DIY paintjobs FTW.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have no track plans for my car or even street racing for that matter. But I Really Really wanted to hammer it yesterday when the redneck in the smoke belching Z28 wanted to have a go at my little grandpa car. Why did he pick me? My car looks and sounds almost stock. It has a very slight rumble at idle but thats about it.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Wait to get it tuned, it's worth it.

Over the weekend I run on the OTS VF43 map as a test. It ran alright, but was noticeably sluggish, my guess is it's richer and the timing isn't as aggressively tuned. I can feel alot more power on my custom map, it's much more fun to drive the car.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car is tuned and runs great. I had it tuned and DBtuned in Rosevill California. I missed my numbers though. Paul said I was running 255hp and 275 Tq on the mustang dyno. He thought one of my limiting factors was the STi exhaust. I am happy with that as I don't want the car any louder.

FYI the VF39 map was not dangerously tuned for the VF48 for casual driving to the tuner.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
That's pretty good numbers for Mustang dyno. You lose around 10-15hp running the 2.5" STi exhaust, but to me it is worth it. I'll trade 10-15hp for quiet anyday.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts