Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tom tom XL340 GPS and don't want to stick it on the screen for security and convenience reasons. :shake: Anyone work out a good way to mount it on the dash so I can reach it easily and remove quickly?

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
We mounted ours with a piece of velcro directly in front of the clock. One side of the velcro on the bottom of the GPS about 4 inches long, other side stuck to the small ledge in front of the clock. Worked great and was easily removed.

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 340 model has a suction pad with a clip on ball joint to the GPS.The suction pad needs to have a glassy surface to stick to - won't grip onto the dash itself - too porous. I've seen some plastic disks on ebay but they have a sticky underside, and who knows what they will leave behind once removed?:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I just found the answer:bananapowerslide:!!
You clamp the suction mount to a CD box , then drop the CD box into the neat fit of the dash-top box.
The lid then becomes a sunshield too:bacon: !! Hopefully it won't flap up and down too much on the road . Then you can fold the GPS back and close the lid to store it !

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't organise a pic right now, sorry:tissue:, but if you have the centre dash-top lift up stash box - inside it is the dimension of CD boxes laid flat. Probably on purpose :icon_rolleyes:
So if you lift the lid and clamp the GPs to a CD box inside,( or clamp it to the CD box first then drop into the cavity) it is held firmly in place just where you want it with the screen facing you, and when you drop the cover lid it falls on the GPS to create a sunshield.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Hey, I just found the answer:bananapowerslide:!!
You clamp the suction mount to a CD box , then drop the CD box into the neat fit of the dash-top box.
The lid then becomes a sunshield too:bacon: !! Hopefully it won't flap up and down too much on the road . Then you can fold the GPS back and close the lid to store it !
Just remember not to leave your GPS in the cubby too long on a hot day as it can stuff the screen, and it has happened to one other member on here.
The internal temps on cars get fairly high hence the reason why you also don't leave children or animals in a car, even if the windows are "cracked" to let air in and you expect to be in and out of the shop in less than 5 mins, it doesn't take long for that heat to become a killer.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Just remember not to leave your GPS in the cubby too long on a hot day as it can stuff the screen, and it has happened to one other member on here.
The internal temps on cars get fairly high hence the reason why you also don't leave children or animals in a car, even if the windows are "cracked" to let air in and you expect to be in and out of the shop in less than 5 mins, it doesn't take long for that heat to become a killer.
Some of the kids I've had to deal with at times this would be the kindest thing we could do for them :icon_rolleyes:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Some of the kids I've had to deal with at times this would be the kindest thing we could do for them :icon_rolleyes:
No! You lock the parents in the car, they are the root cause of most bad behaving kids.
Remember it all begins at home.

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium 4EAT
104 Posts
Thanks for the reminder of the temperature issue, Subyroo. I was contemplating making a semi-permanent flip-down mount for my Garmin Nuvi in the dash-top box. I would love to keep the GPS in there on a hinged brace and open the lid and swing it down for use. Now I'm realizing that I shouldn't keep my GPS in there at all in the summer. Back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
on the 09, i bent about a 12mm long, thin, rigid plastic strip a few times and slid the top of it up into the plastic edge/gap between the clock display and the dash, then sliding it over to the left out of the way of viewing the clock, outside temp and fuel consumption. it's about 40mm high with some "s" bends on the bottom for rigidity. i stuck a 2 x 1 cm strip of Scotch Reclosable Fasteners by 3M on the 4cm vertical surface of the plastic, and a 1 x 1 cm strip on the back of the gps. i also put an 8 x 2 cm non-slip mat on the dash under the gps (not glued, but held in place by the "s" bends in the plastic strip, to stop any potential rattling. works a charm and very unobtrusive. easy to mount and dismount the gps, and i can easily slide my silver dash sun reflector into place.

ha! the plastic strip i ended up using was cut from a Listerine bottle!

i'm going to try a similar thing and position on an 02 Impreza.

Dick Smith also carry gps mounting discs - 2 for $8. the sole reviewer on the dse site likes them. i might be trying them on the in-laws cars.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts