Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good mounting solution or pics for a portable GPS?

Also, do you have a newer GPS you really are satisfied with?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,900 Posts
There's been a good bit of discussion about this here. Click Search above, plug the two words GPS and mounting into the box, and hit Go. You'll get about two pages of results. Wander through them, especially the longer theeads, and you'll see what's already been discussed regarding this topic.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,954 Posts
I have been trying to work a way to mount my portable gps in the sunglass cubbie. Flip down and rock it. No luck so far, but im not giving up.
Are you talking about the cubbie in the ceiling? If so, it could, but you'd have to have a remote antenna so the GPS can see the satellites. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I just hate the idea of hacking up my part for it to not work. Im sure it will, but I dont truch my skills. Also, my power switch is on the top, so it would have to have a toggle switch for power so I can turn it off when the car isnt on.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,954 Posts
^^ Yes, there always something! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,261 Posts
Honestly, what percentage of time do you use it? I just stick it to the windshield in about 10 seconds. Best reception there. Take it off when done. Whats the problem with doing it this way?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
I have been trying to work a way to mount my portable gps in the sunglass cubbie. Flip down and rock it. No luck so far, but im not giving up.
Just beware of the summer temps in that glasses cubby, itwould get as hot as the centre dash cubby and that has been reported to bork GPS screens when they were left in there during the heat of the day.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
6 Posts
Good mounting thread link up there - I'll be wading through it.

As for a GPS I researched around and picked up a Garmin 255WT from Best Buy on black friday that I am very happy with. My needs were simple none of the bluetooth/mp3 but I wanted to be able to easily load faves/POIs/and extract trip data.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Just beware of the summer temps in that glasses cubby, itwould get as hot as the centre dash cubby and that has been reported to bork GPS screens when they were left in there during the heat of the day.
Not that I dont believe it but there are so many new cars out with roof mounted tv's, etc. Where is mythbusters when we need em?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
^ It really depends on the device - my GReddy Informeter, for example, it's LCD screen "bleaches" for a while, on a hot day, until the unit gets cooled a little. I also remember buddies of mine with portable GPS units a few years back, all of which seemed rather "fragile," but I currently own two TomToms (a simple One 3rd. Ed. and a also rather run-of-the-mill XL 340S), which have been very, very rugged.

Still, given that it is a decently complex electronic device - like a modern top-line in-cabin stand-alone portable RADAR detector - the advice I usually give is that if you're going to leave it in-car, be it exposed to view or not, you should realize that it may be subject to a higher chance of damage/malfunction that if you were to take more careful care of it. :wink:

That said, all my devices are in-car. :smile: I just accept it, and move on.

OK, back on-topic. :redface:

Like I said in the thread that bettsyboy cited:

I use a simple home-made metal bracket, painted matte black, screwed a spare ARKON mount onto it (use Google or your favorite search engine, and just search for the make/model of your GPS, plus the word "mount," and you'll get plenty of hits, and eBay is another good resource), and affixed the entire thing to the dash with strips of RadioShack's "SuperLock" fasteners, which is like Velcro on steroids. It utilizes the clean break-away 3M "VHT" adhesive, which is extremely resistant to even summertime cabin temperatures, and is very unobtrusive, when no device is mounted.

I have our units mounted pretty much in the same spot that bettsyboy mounted his - only a little closer to midline - it allows easy sightlines (I rarely look at the GPS when I'm actually driving, but if I needed to, it doesn't take my eyes far off-road) and reach, and also allows the front seat passenger to operate it, if-necessary. Use of the SuperLock fasteners allows the mount to be removed easily, so as to minimize break-in risk and also to minimize dash clutter, when we're not using the GPS.

I typically charge-up overnight before a trip needing the GPS, but since our aftermarket Motorola Bluetooth's power plug also feeds our TomToms just fine, it's there for in-vehicle recharging, if there's ever a need. That's in my wife's FXT.

In my Legacy, it's also in pretty much that same dash position, albeit more driver-biased, and I've hardwired a dedicated USB plug for its use, which snakes up out of the driver's side A/C vent.

I'll try to get some pictures, tonight.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
^ I aim to please, sir! :icon_biggrin:

OK, so, I'm back. Here's some small pix, to save bandwidth, as well as to hide the fact that I am absolutely horrible at taking pix. :icon_redface:

In the wifey's '09 FXT, here's where the strip of SuperLock lies, in the flat area, just to the front of the dash-top multifunctional display:

If you can't spot it, look at the upper right hand corner of the XM tuner, just above the CD-player's "1" and "2" buttons. It's a flat strip that looks slightly out-of-color.

To that strip is mounted my home-made mounting bracket of rattle-canned flat-black aluminum strip (pilfered from a RadioShack "Project Enclosure"), to which is screwed the proper ARKON mount adapter for this particular (TomTom One, 3rd. Ed.) GPS unit. The end result looks like this:

Note the proximity to the steering wheel, as well as the fact that it is placed within secondary sightlines. The only thing it really obstructs, for the driver, is the dash multifunctional (MPG/temp./clock) readout, but the GPS takes care of the clock function. It's also well within reach, albeit a slight stretch, for the front seat passenger.

The charging cord, which is the same, luckily, for the Motorola Bluetooth unit that my wife uses, is stashed away in the center console:

It has a stretchy cord center-section, so, if-necessary, the passenger could still use the unit to help the driver navigate, but keep it charging.

[ Disregard the RADAR detector. It's only stored there, not used while actually buried! :crazy: ]

In my '05 Legacy:

The strip of SuperLock appears just above the driver's side vent of the center-stack. Excuse the clutter, but yes, I've got an accessory fetish, and I like it that my cabin looks like a reject's version of the Space Shuttle. :icon_redface::icon_razz: For the curious, yes, the cubby door still functions, and can close to hide the two gauges (AEM UEGO wideband AFR on the left, with a cut trim-ring so as to allow the door to close; AutoMeter SportComp II voltmeber, to the right; the two bi-modal LEDs are for my front and rear LPPs; the mount is a Cas "Cubbypod") the mount by the passenger's side is a home-made dock for my first-generation Slacker unit, which feeds through the AUX port of my H&K Drive+Play, with the wire, as you can see, snaked into the dash via the vent on that side, in a manner similar to how I stashed the hardwire for the GPS unit on my side:

Here you can see me pulling the USB lead out of my vent.

And that's how the GPS looks, mounted in my car. Since I'm typically either solo or with Anna (my daughter, who is now nearing 4, and is in the back, in her child safety seat), the placement bias is much closer to my operational needs. Again, I like having it close-at-hand, as well as within secondary sightlines, should I need to refer to it visually. The mount is similar to what I did with the One, and uses an AKRON adapter for the EasyPort, which I found through a Google search.

Oh, and no, it's not that I keep the better GPS in my car. Both units are usually somewhere in our home office, and on a trip, no matter whose vehicle we take, I'll grab the XL. The One was what got me addicted to TomToms, and it was a free gift from a Vendor whom I shop through, at work.... I just wanted to give everyone here an idea of what the different placements/units looked like, and the One's mount just happens to have been better adjusted to show on the wifey's FXT.

Hope this helps y'all with your ideas! :woohoo:

----

PS:

For those wondering about why I don't have a Carputer or the like - and instead have this messy array of devices and interfaces scattered all over.

Yes, I do datalog my vehicle very often (I'm on an ECUTeK tune, by Tim Bailey, and I own both EasyECU as well as DeltaDash), and yes, I know that it could be much more easily and cleanly done with a Carputer, but I'm decently happy with my Netbook interface, since I don't do any actual tuning, myself, and basically periodically log to monitor the health of the car - the Netbook is easy enough to take out to the car. The same goes for the routine upgrading of firmware of my various speed-detection countermeasures. Given my computer-un-savvy nature, the Carputer is just not a project I feel comfortable tackling, particularly as it will require advanced ICE techniques, which I lack.

Regarding additive cost of the components? It's really not an issue, since all of the music interfaces - and also the GPSs - were bought at steeply discounted prices (the H&K Drive+Play was $35, shipped, the Slacker, just over $40, the iPOD Nano which I keep in the car, $25, shipped...you see where I'm going here). Particularly as I don't log much seat time in the car, the cost-benefit ratio of an intensive Carputer-based entertainment system declines steeply.

Perhaps, someday, after I finally go bigger-turbo with Winky, I'll turn around and tackle ICE again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts