Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Touring Package
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking to buy a good GPS unit. I am hoping to get a unit that is equally at home in my Forester as it would be hiking up a mountain.
I would mostly use the GPS unit in Canada, but I would like to have the unit operational in North America, maps and all.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for looking,
wcmd

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
I assume you are talking about a portable. I cannot speak for hiking use, but for road use, I have a tom tom, and I can recommend it for road use.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Personally, I am a Garmin fan. I bought a TomTom (I forget the model) and took it for a ride for about 15 minutes and it went right back in the box; I hated it. IMHO, it was not user friendly at all.

I have the Garmin 1390T and it works quite well. It has North America and Hawaii maps. I live in Alaska and it works great. Just recently took it to Hawaii with us and it works flawlessly there too. Prior to that, my son used it in South Florida and he said it worked great there too. It has a Pedestrian Mode as well.

Though the FM Lifetime Traffic doesn't work in Alaska, it worked great in Hawaii and Florida so I would imagine that it would work great in any large city. It has great features and Bluetooth to boot.

It is certainly work a look.

·
Registered
2010 2.5XTL
9 Posts
Well, i just bought a Garmin nuvi 755t (non-bluetooth) almost brand new off ebay for $150 & i couldn't be happier. Lotsa mount options but i haven't had a chance to wring it out yet.
Seems really high quality.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Honestly, I haven't seen a GOOD GPS for BOTH hiking and road use. My recommendation is to buy one for each purpose. You will be much happier.

Foreword: I'm an avid backpacker and a very heavy GPS user. I help teach a route finding course with my climbing club here in Oregon where we instruct people on how to properly navigate using a map, compass, and GPS. I've seen a lot of handheld GPS's and only a few brands really get it right.

On-road use: I don't own one. I use my iPhone and MotionX's GPS Drive application found on the App Store. It's a great program and is constantly being updated.

My second suggestion is a Garmin Nuvi. Tom Tom is decent but their antennas are amateur at best. Their software is decent but the units crap out pretty quickly. I don't have an explanation, they just do. The Garmins have great software, they're durable, and affordable. The stock mount is minimal and holds quite well. They're as simple or as advanced as you like. My grandfather uses one and has never asked me for help with it. (I'm constantly fixing his PC.) If you want in-dash, go Kenwood. They use the Garmin software and antenna. Great units.

Backpacking use: I suggest one that takes REPLACEABLE batteries. I say this because if the battery is built-in and you get lost...what do you do when the battery runs out? For the best "cover your donkey solution" you need one that takes standard batteries and you need to pack enough backup batteries to cover yourself. (Also pack a map and compass and KNOW how to use them) For GPS brands go Garmin or Magellan. Garmin makes a really decent budget unit. The E-Trex. There's two flavors a yellow one and a blue one. The yellow one is nice for people with hand problems and can't work a small joystick (read: the elderly). The blue one is in my opinion nicer. Navigating the menus are a lot faster due to the joystick as well as text entry. I am not familiar with current models of Magellans but they're all pretty decent units. Buy from REI and return it if you're not happy. Their 100% satisfaction guarantee is worth every penny.

If you're still stuck on having a "best for both" device, get an iPhone and buy both of MotionX's GPS apps. They're priceless. I rarely bust out my E-Trex except for when I am going out for more than one night. It's great for Geocaching and the turn by turn directions are awesome. It's always updated when you're connected via 3G. Such a great device. One thing you can do is get a USB battery pack that takes AA's and use that to charge it while out in the woods. My only hangup with the software was that they only support one map datum so if you are using an ollllllllld map then you're screwed. Always double check your map datum.

I hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Here is a good forum with lots of info and you can ask anything you want.
GPS Review : GPS Reviews

I got a Magellan for my own personal reasons and I am almost done with the install on my SH.....will post up soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts