Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got rear-ended yesterday, not sure how to get the pix in the thread so please see attachments. I've written this once already and lost it, dam attachments.
Anyhow, my main concern is safety going forward with two little kids in the back, what happens if I get tagged there again. I also don't want moonroof leaks going forward, I want her to track straight, etc......Most ppl say she’ll never be the same and others say that’s not true if the shop is good. I'd be fine with it getting totaled at this point.
I didn’t know where to take the car, so I deferred to insurance company, which has a great rep in NJ. So since the accident happened near work and not my home, I just kept it near there. (I don’t know of any reputable shops near my home anyway). I had it flat bedded to the shop, and they already started looking at it. My concern is that they’re already saying she won’t be totaled. With the estimated $10-$11K book value (04XS with 115k on it), and 80% threshold, then that means I need at least $8K in damages. Right now he’s estimating $5800, but he hasn’t even taken off the wheel and doesn’t look like he even opened the hatch. (I went there today to get some stuff out of the back and couldn’t open the cargo cover because it was jammed in there from the damage, didn’t look like he looked back there).
Anyhow, I’m uncomfortable with what’s going on, he’s already ordering parts from nearby Subaru dealer, but how can he do that if he hasn’t finished the estimate? Since he’s affiliated with the insurance company, guess he can and this expedites the whole process. He just sends pix back to the office rep. This leads me to believe the office rep won’t even come out to look at the car. Should I get a second opinion. Did I lose that right when I signed papers allowing him to look at it? I think one was to assess and one was to do the work. All work is guaranteed for the time I own the car, but don’t know if I want her any more. Can anyone provide any input? Will damage costs go up? He’s saying not enough, but I find that hard to believe, the wheel was pushed forward for Pete Sake, and all that suspension is bent (although I have read that isn’t a big deal, especially if the axle isn’t bent). Help?

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Oh damm, that's not gonna buff out. Hopefully it can be fixed as good as new.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
Remember as much as we love the Subie's, it can be replaced. You or family can't! Glad no one was hurt.

Give your innsurance company a call. Explain that you do not have a complete estimate yet. But parts are being ordered. Strongly suggest that you want the under belly to be throughly evaluated etc., before anymore parts are ordered and a complete listing of steps to complete the repairs. Tell them at this point becuase you feel your car has NOT been throughly evaluated that a second opinion is necessary. You can tell much by the insurance company's reaction to your requests. You will likely have to project manage the repairs, if you go that direction, to make sure it is correctly done.

Now the good news. You might be surprised on the repairs. The design of the Subaru's crumple zones appeared to have worked based on your pictures. Of course underneath the skin really needs to be looked-at. It might be worth fixing and driving as you look for another Subaru. If you do fix it, the four-wheel alingment will tell an immediate story if the tolerances can be set and remain. Don't forget to have them reset the steering sensors for correct wheel position.

Good Luck, glad you are OK!

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Also, be sure that Genuine Subaru parts are used as opposed to aftermarket parts. Sometimes insurance companies and collision centers worked to get cheap parts to save overall.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
Doesn't look that bad, from what i can see the body should still be straight, if they do a good body repair it shouldn't be noticeable. Oh, make sure they check the rear subframe for straightness

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks everyone for the info. I will get on the horn with insurance today to express my concerns. I hope it will be ok and back to new, but just worried if I get it back and it's not, then I won't be getting anywhere near it's resale value. I was already told prior to accident that a nearby subaru dealer would only give me $5500 for it as a trade-in. So I laughed and said forget it.
Anyhow thanks again everyone. Will post later when I find out more.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I was already told prior to accident that a nearby subaru dealer would only give me $5500 for it as a trade-in. So I laughed and said forget it.
:icon_rolleyes: you know what they say, sucker born every minute..
we had the dealer tell us the most he could possibly sell our trade in for was $4000, so he would only offer us $1000 ! look to cg for 'value' not dealerships..

oh, and that's a game of Tag I'd gladly miss out on :biggrin:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
wow what's with your dealerships (both of you)? the ones i go to keep saying they'll give me black book value, which right now is about $10k. maybe it matters how much of it is paid off?

best wishes with the damages though. get your insurance company to do what you want, especially if it's your own.

oh and the damage looks like it outside of the protective cage from the A-C pillars, so anyone should be fine in the cabin, unless they uncover some sort of heavy damage between there. But the unibody is partially destroyed, so there will be sheet metal work in that rear quarter, which could produce squeaking (and other issues) even if done well. but we've seen Foresters like this back on the road like new again.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been busy at work, so didn't call insurance co early enough and I'm now playing phone tag. Ouch is correct, when you're not expecting it, you really get tossed. Luckily the car did what it was designed to do, and absorbed the blow. Head rest really saved my neck, I remember my head snapping back and hitting it, so it did it's job as well.
I'm worried about the other issues that you talk about neoshi. Squeaks are no biggie, that's what the volume on the radio is for, but just don't want to have to continually go back to this shop claiming this still isn't right, and that doesn't feel right. Get rental car all over again, just for them to come back and say all is well.

Again thanks to everyone for their best wishes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
Looks like some good advice was given, all I can say is you are handling it much better than I would.

Good Luck and best wishes,

Eric

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I have taken my car in for a couple different thing (paint keyed and a smashed window/break-in). Both times I went with a local body shop that was in the insurance company's trusted network. What this meant was that no insurance adjuster or approval was needed. The shop estimated the damages and began fixing it right away. Since you are going through the insurance company (as opposed to laying it yourself) and the shop is a trusted one by your insurance company there is no need to wait.

But definitely make sure that that is the case.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Lukas like a scratch to me ;). I wrapped my car around the tree ;) and the estimate to fix it was 24k ;) (keep in mind we talking her about MB) ;) the shopped fixed it (took them 30 days) lol they put all new cars refused to used used or recondition parts even though the insurance tried to push them into it, the car drove better than new after that. When traiding my car in at local MB delaer they noted that the car was in fender bender ;) lol hahahahahahahahaha 24k fender bender ;). If the shop is good they will bring your car to like new condition. Don't stress so much ;) your insurer warrants the rapeir for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What toddlamp is saying is true,that is the case with me. The shop is trusted by insurance. I finally spoke to ins today. I did express my concerns as well as some of yours, and insurance contact handling my case just said he couldn't answer my questions, but I could most certainly talk to the body shop. He did say he looked at the estimate and saw that it was approved, so things are forging ahead. I asked to see the estimate so he's mailing it to me. I sure hope you're right snajper69 and she comes back good as new. Just have no idea how good they are, since I don't know anyone that has had work done there. The shop is about 40 miles from my house. Keepin 'em crossed, and just trying to make sure I cover my basis. Thanks to all of you for your words of wisdom, puts my mind at ease much more so. Have a great weekend all!

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
What toddlamp is saying is true,that is the case with me. The shop is trusted by insurance. I finally spoke to ins today. I did express my concerns as well as some of yours, and insurance contact handling my case just said he couldn't answer my questions, but I could most certainly talk to the body shop. He did say he looked at the estimate and saw that it was approved, so things are forging ahead. I asked to see the estimate so he's mailing it to me. I sure hope you're right snajper69 and she comes back good as new. Just have no idea how good they are, since I don't know anyone that has had work done there. The shop is about 40 miles from my house. Keepin 'em crossed, and just trying to make sure I cover my basis. Thanks to all of you for your words of wisdom, puts my mind at ease much more so. Have a great weekend all!
Who is your insurer? I know that when I had an accident in my WRX, and they were not a trusted shop, the adjuster came out after the work was done and actually inspected the work to make sure it was done right. In my case and as you stated the work is guaranteed. Make sure you examine it the best you can while there at pick up and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take it to a local dealer (preferably one you trust) and ask them to give it a one over (say during an oil change). Tell them the damage, show them the estimate (or work order) and see what they say.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Yikes!

Just one thing to add, your insurance company should scan in the repair list and email it to you. Will be much faster.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Yikes!

Just one thing to add, your insurance company should scan in the repair list and email it to you. Will be much faster.
and then when you receive it, you tell them, welcome to the 21st century! :lol:

·
Registered
2004 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ha ha ha ha ! LMAO! That is a good point, email would be much easier. Thanks for the advice. I will def take it to my subaru dealer and have them take a peak. My uncle owns his own repair shop too (not body work) but still a good source for professional opinion.

Oh and I'm with NJ Manufacturers. They have good rep, and they are careful about who they insure and who does work. It is apparently really tough to become certified by them as a body shop. BTW the shop is certified by them, that's why I decided to go there in the first place. I asked insurance who they recommend first and this shop came up, so I figured I was good to go. This process sounds much different than what I'm used to hearing, but sounds like Toddlamp has had a similar experience so I guess it's not out of the ordinary.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
ha ha ha ha ! LMAO! That is a good point, email would be much easier. Thanks for the advice. I will def take it to my subaru dealer and have them take a peak. My uncle owns his own repair shop too (not body work) but still a good source for professional opinion.

Oh and I'm with NJ Manufacturers. They have good rep, and they are careful about who they insure and who does work. It is apparently really tough to become certified by them as a body shop. BTW the shop is certified by them, that's why I decided to go there in the first place. I asked insurance who they recommend first and this shop came up, so I figured I was good to go. This process sounds much different than what I'm used to hearing, but sounds like Toddlamp has had a similar experience so I guess it's not out of the ordinary.
Back in the day the process was bring car in, have it assessed, have adjuster come out to review, have new estimate done, have adjust come out to review, lather, rinse, repeat, and finally get repairs done.

The insurance companies have simplified the process.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts