Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2005 Fxt on the 26th and getting it up to speed. I have new tires225/55-16, Perrin rear sway bar on the way with the mounts.

My swift springs arrived today and I began reading expecting to install them in the morning. I am generally not a slouch when it comes to mechanical work. I spent years rebuilding Landcruisers and engines. After my search I am not sure that I want to make this my first project on my new car. Can I do it? I am sure that I can....... eventually........ but.

I am lacking some of the tools that others have mentioned needing when I take it apart. I need it back in service the same day. I can get a spring compressor but I dont have an impact wrench any more etc. There were a few stories here that remind me of my Cruiser days but they were never my daily driver and i could leave the garage sale of parts all over until I had time to get back to it. Anything could be fixed on the cruiser with a bigger hammer and a welder. I am not sure that I am good with the whole axle coming out thing. Its not a couple of U bolts and a few bushings :crazy: is it?

Any suggestions for a shop in my area or otherwise??

Oh well thanks for tolerating another noob rant.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
19 Posts
An air gun can be helpful getting the nut off the top of the strut, but is not always necessary. You just need to remove the strut assembly from the top and bottom mounting points so you can use the spring compressor tool to switch the springs off the front struts. The rear mounting bolt on the lower can be a bit tight, but a jack under a breaker bar usually will get it. Having four jack stands or a lift is the way to go. Ratcheting wrenches can be useful if you have a set.

If you had to you could pull the assemblies your self and have a shop change the springs. I'm sure you can find a walk through on NASIOC or LGT forums. Any shop could change the springs for you.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
If money isn't an object, I'd say find a shop to do it, it'll probably cost you around $200. It's just too cold to be doing all that in your garage, especially in your neck of the country.

Having said that, if you want to save some dough, the install isn't that hard especially if you have experience as you say. Before working on my car I'd only done oil changes, but I did the spring install in my garage and it wasn't too bad. Took about 4.5 hours without power tools. There are some nice walk-throughs and nice people on this forum who can help you if you get stuck. :icon_razz: I got confused when the top hats didn't fit into the new spring the same way they did in the OEM one, but once you re-expand the spring everything fits perfectly. Really it's just a few bolts and some elbow grease. Do the fronts first, they're a bit more involved, and then when you do the rear springs it'll go super fast.

Here's my install thread:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/swift-install-not-going-so-swiftly-help-26419/

Either way you'll love the outcome, the swifts really change the look and feel of the car.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Having it done today

I mean the 90 weight covered axles not the housing. Lancruiser axles do not come out unless you work at it and I have done that installing lockers and disc brake conversions.

I can't say money is no object but time is and it is cold in the garage. I am headed to Less Schwab at 2PM today. They charge $60 per corner.

I will add my rear sway bar this Sunday when I get off work. That should do it for the underside for a while. I measured today and it is almost exactly 29 inches from the ground to the lip of the fender. I am excited to see where it ends up! I will post the results picture later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Springs on lower than I expected

OK its done but lower than I expected. It no measures 27.25 to the front fenders and 27 to the rear. Anyone else have the same drop with swift springs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
can you post pics? I'd like to see how yours came out.. I will post pics of mine tonight.
I can get a little more than two fingers space between my tires and wheel well in the front and close to three fingers in the back

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Here's my FSXT with Swift Springs for reference. The tires are a tad smaller than OEM, hence the extra (0.5" or so of) wheel gap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts