Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got another of those e-mail surveys from Subaru. Anyone else get it? This one, again, probes perceptions of the distinctives of the marque. My way of putting it, the question seems to be, "Will you still love us if we have something other than AWD-only cars?" I'd infer Subaru is strongly considering putting one or more FWD-only products in the mix. Anyone have an idea which Toyota that might be?

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Other than the longitudinal drivetrain arrangement - subarus arent as unique and funky as they used to be. The Quirkier the better for me. They sold out to get market share.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Everyone I know thinks my car is ugly. Call it quirky if you want. I LOVE it. I've driven faster cars, better handling cars, and more expensive cars. I've never driven a car as fun and engaging as my Foz. Now that's a quirk. I feel connected to it, and I don't know why. I'm a lifetime gearhead whose been messing with and driving cars since I was 12. I've owned 17 cars in the 16 years I've had a license. My first fozzy is a $2700 beater, and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything other than another one. But, you are right, the new ones are much more mainstream cars than the older models. It is a necessary evil in the car business.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Everyone I know thinks my car is ugly. Call it quirky if you want. I LOVE it. QUOTE]

Ummm....I've been around long enough to remember a couple of cars called the Pacer and the Gremlin, made by a company called AMC (they also made Jeep). Those 2 cars were butt-ugly and no one--I mean no one--thought they were cool. Subaru isn't winning those Motor Trend awards by uglifying its vehicles.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Case in point - as a car guy I liked the Tribeca nose* and appreciated the automotive and aircraft heritage. Subaru changed it and made it generic chinese throwaway. They sold more. General populus knows nothing of art and design. Thus plain, banal, vanilla, mainstream soapboxes sell as family cars. I initially hated the 2010 Outback - but I will say it is more crossover looking than before where it was more or less a station wagon jacked up with OWL tyres and pinstriping - but none-the-less perfectly functional and not overly portly. Outback is now somewhat market-competitive with the new, daring Venza, as it appears much larger too.
* less so the tail - too conservative given the overall package.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
^ Ditto.

You can't blame Subaru for wanting to sell more cars. This means designing a car MORE people like.
All the while loosing the earth mothers and alternate lifestyle contingent. This is the previous VW Microbus and Bug demographic. Maybe they will move to the Nissan Cube and the Kia SEOUL?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
All the while loosing the earth mothers and alternate lifestyle contingent. This is the previous VW Microbus and Bug demographic. Maybe they will move to the Nissan Cube and the Kia SEOUL?
I get your point, I really do. When the Forester first came out, I remarked to someone that I liked it, and this elicited quite the belly laugh. It's styling made it very much a love it or hate it vehicle. Now I guess you could say it's a little more warm and fuzzy. However, I suspect the subie AWD system is going to keep winning over a lot of those "earth mothers" you mention. Especially here in New England.
Steve
09 fuzzy Foz

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 X Prem.
51 Posts
I got the survey.

Subaru has a problem: they need to meet the new CAFE mileage standards that the Govt. is forcing on them. One easy way to improve mileage is to abandon AWD. The problem they are having is that AWD has been such a selling point that they stand to lose a lot of current customers if they axe it.

The sad reality is that without AWD its just another ugly Japanese car.

BTW: I liked the old Tribeca nose a lot. I just didn't need a Mommy van.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
I received the survey a few weeks back. Subaru seems very concerned about their image.

The previous Foresters always appealed to me, however, the interior dimensions were too tight for a guy my size and build (tall-fat).

The '09 looks less 'Subaru like' than I would prefer - which is why I ditched the stock chrome Chrysler look a like grille for the Sports grille. The grill on the second generation Tribeca really screams Chrysler Pacifica- the first generation was 'unique' to say the least.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got the survey.

Subaru has a problem: they need to meet the new CAFE mileage standards that the Govt. is forcing on them. One easy way to improve mileage is to abandon AWD. The problem they are having is that AWD has been such a selling point that they stand to lose a lot of current customers if they axe it.

The sad reality is that without AWD its just another ugly Japanese car.

BTW: I liked the old Tribeca nose a lot. I just didn't need a Mommy van.
Ive never seen any men driving a newer forester around here in So. NH. - never. SO you got a mommy Station Wagon ;) I think the old tribeca was more masculine than fem. See Guys and Gals in Outback wageons pretty much 50/50.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
... ... However, I suspect the subie AWD system is going to keep winning over a lot of those "earth mothers" you mention. Especially here in New England.
Steve
09 fuzzy Foz
The AWD is not unique and if available on most everything these days. Escape/Rav/Rogue/Equinox/Tiguan/Edge/CRV/Journey/Murano/Infinity g35/Vitara/Fusion etc. Our 05 rav 4 AWD was just as good and a bit more connected to the road. The new ravs are too big for us. Too bad the Suzuki got portly too and now gets poor fuel mileage. OLD Samurai and Tracker are popular around here as winter beaters - severe snow buggies.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Ive never seen any men driving a newer forester around here in So. NH. - never. SO you got a mommy Station Wagon ;) I think the old tribeca was more masculine than fem. See Guys and Gals in Outback wageons pretty much 50/50.
Never, eh? Hmmm....I wonder if that is some sort of regional anomaly? Checking out the new member forum, I see lots of posts by male buyers of 09-10 Foresters. Just thinking out loud here...assuming there are a fair number of guys driving older Foresters in NH, what vehicle(s) do you think they'll buy when they're ready to buy another new car/truck/whatever?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
I just received and filled out this survey today. All sorts of questions about the brand and sort of what Subaru means to me.

In a nut shell I told them I purchased a Subaru for the AWD.

They also asked questions about options and pricing for a 6 cylinder Forester, a plug in, a hybrid and a diesel. They also asked a follow up question as to what transmission I'd like to see with a diesel.

I certainly hope they aren't thinking of entirely abandoning AWD and having a diesel option in NA... :woohoo:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts