Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I went looking for a good deal on a trailer hitch in Toronto and after much research I ended up at U-Haul! Can you believe it? They were the cheapest and their warranty is $5. The small hitch guys couldn't even come close. I will post pics when I get my car back and I will say that for $330 it is not a bad deal including hitch, wiring, draw bar, and ball with labor included too. It's a type 2 hitch that I got for pulling this:

It's a 1970's boat and a little rough around the edges, but it runs mint and I got it for a really CHEAP price. Can't wait to get out on the water this summer. Anyone got a cottage or spot they use and need some company? I will also post up about how it is to pull this thing with my 98'. I look forward to more fishing trips this year. Anyone else pull boats with their Fozzie? I am very excited to see how this will go.

Nadeem

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,942 Posts
There have been good reports about U-Haul here.

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, picking up the boat worked! I drove 150kms with it and it was actually really good except at highway speed going up BIG hills. I had to drop it into 4th and rev it pretty high to hold speed. So far so good. Did a lot of work on the boat this weekend including rewiring the whole thing and putting in some other little creature comforts like a cd player. I will post some pics when I can.

Nadeem

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,377 Posts
I got a U-Haul for my 08. No wiring. Installed 170 bucks.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
I haven't read much yet but are they that hard to install? I'm in the market now and looking as well. Uhaul seems the one to get..

Cheers~

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are bolt up but you have to move the exhaust down while installing. You get warranty and stuff when they do it which is why I shelled out the cash instead of doing it myself.

Nadeem

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Check the rear transom on that baby. Boats rot there first and take a beating from the engine weight. Now you need to get a boat license too. It's mandatory now.

I pull this with no problems.

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the boat license but still working on the wax job. Rear transom is solid. Your boat is MUCH nicer than mine. Looks great attached to the Foz! Will get pics up when I am done with the wax job.

Nadeem

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
Hi guys, that boat is looking pretty sweet. I picked up a OEM hitch with wiring for $110.00 (mint) no ball though but I think I got a pretty good deal. Wouldn't you? Gonna try and put it on today..Time to read some more..
Have a good one! I'll have pic's later..I need to downlod the bash plate pic's too but that's another thread...

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys, that boat is looking pretty sweet. I picked up a OEM hitch with wiring for $110.00 (mint) no ball though but I think I got a pretty good deal. Wouldn't you? Gonna try and put it on today..Time to read some more..
Have a good one! I'll have pic's later..I need to download the bash plate pic's too but that's another thread...
That is a damn good price. Be careful moving the exhaust around to put in the hitch. I would recommend disconnecting instead of just removing the hangers and wiggling the hitch in. An OEM muffler is expensive.

Nadeem

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice boat Nadeem!
We should meet up sometime and do a boating trip... The lake is too random here to predict any conditions in advance though.
What lake? It is iffy going on any big lake as I have gotten stuck before with other boats. This one is tri-hull so it stays pretty stable even in rough waters though. Are there any small lakes around you with fish in them?

Nadeem

1 - 20 of 26 Posts