Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 2.5L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I bought an 04 FXT 2.5 liter (84000 miles now) about six months ago, and one day I look forward to tricking it out, but right now my wife just had a baby (a beautiful boy) and we have been hit hard with the bill, and my turbo is going. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I will need to actually tune a stock turbocharger if I'm not increasing the boost?

It would really help out to know. The closest turbo shop is 5 hours away, and I don't even know if they know what they're doing. We're in Northern Michigan, the U.P. so the AWD on the vehicle certainly helps!

I love my Subaru, just a little dissappointed in the turbo failure.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I bought an 04 FXT 2.5 liter (84000 miles now) about six months ago, and one day I look forward to tricking it out, but right now my wife just had a baby (a beautiful boy) and we have been hit hard with the bill, and my turbo is going. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I will need to actually tune a stock turbocharger if I'm not increasing the boost?

It would really help out to know. The closest turbo shop is 5 hours away, and I don't even know if they know what they're doing. We're in Northern Michigan, the U.P. so the AWD on the vehicle certainly helps!

Eh, don't worry about it. I bought my '04 a month ago, and after 3 weeks of driving the turbo took a crap on me.

Try searching here, NASIOC, and i-club for a used td04 turbo. I found mine for $180 shipped. Then, it was only about $200 to install it.

You don't need to re-tune it if you're putting in the same turbo.

Hope this helps.

and congrats on the baby boy :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear about your turbo failure... If your not in a super rush to fix the issue and can wait about 2 weeks. I will be installing a upgraded turbo to my car. So, I will have my turbo off my 2004 FXT with only 37k. Car runs and drives great. Turbo should be in perfect running order. The car has never had increased boost levels or mods on it. I will be selling it for $200 shipped. If your intersted PM me, or email me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Hi Everyone,

These things happen. Find a used TD04 on the boards for $100-200 and toss it on and call it done.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Make sure you clean the Banjo bolt oil filter that common to get plugged on that year of Subaru Turbo. A new oil line are always recommended after turbo failure.

Stock turbo are cheap but will blow up again if the oil line are not in tip top condition.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
While you are in there, replace your stock uppipe with a catless one, that could have been the cause of your turbo's death.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Make sure you clean the Banjo bolt oil filter that common to get plugged on that year of Subaru Turbo. A new oil line are always recommended after turbo failure.

Stock turbo are cheap but will blow up again if the oil line are not in tip top condition.
While you are in there, replace your stock uppipe with a catless one, that could have been the cause of your turbo's death.

Stan
both good suggestions. I personally just pull the screen filter...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts