Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I have not dicked with the car in quite some time. I mean performance wise. I have seriously been trying to live up to my word with my wife and have been doing quite well. But a couple of days ago, I got a little burning smell when in the car when I got to work. In any case, things got really bad yesterday on the way home and I noticed oil in my garage. I could not see anything when I took a look at it at 9pm nor did I want to deal with it. It was more like really! Now?!!!

Today I took off work early and went to my local suby mechanic. We took a look and determined that it was the banjo bolt/washer on the oil supply line (you may remember that I had to replace the lower portion of the oil supply line a year ago to a tune of $706) We changed the washers and put in a new bolt. I went ahead and had him change the oil since it was soon to be due.

I drove home and had alot of smoke. I called the mechanic on the phone and figured it was just excess oil that we got on the turbo burning off. I then noticed more oil on the ground but this time it was clean oil. Uh oh, looks like we did not solve the problem after all.

I got home from the gym (personal trainer job) and tore into it. I took off my heat shield so I could see a little bit more and cleaned up everything. I then started the car and immediately saw that the oil was not coming from the bajo bolt/washer but rather the hard line where it connects to the banjo bolt. It is not 11:30 and of couse I can not call the mechanic, though I would like to. He did state that he has the line in stock as we were joking about the last time. Looks like I will be buying one of those now.

Here is my question. I paid $185 for 1.5 hours of labor and my oil supplies. Should I be upset that we did not solve the problem? What you consider a fair deal for he and I to work out? I can see paying for the part but should I have to pay him for labor to install it? What do you think?

Oh, yah, I have to drive the car to my girls basket ball game in the morning and it is supposed to snow tomorrow! Go figure. But the game is litterally 2 miles from the shop so maybe I can swing by there and get it taken care of.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
I would be upset if his diagnosis was wrong but the main thing is to get it fixed. If he's a good businessman and cares about repeat customers and customer loyalty he should be leniant (sp?) when charging you for replacement of the hard line. (maybe eat the labor expense and only charge for the cost of the line)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say at the very very least, have him charge you at the 'warranty' rate of labor. That's like the minimum rate that most places charge (typically if they're a bigger shop, the mechanic gets paid regardless). At the same time, if he is willing to own up to it, he SHOULD just charge you for the parts and cover most, if not all, of the labor to do it the 2nd time around.

My personal opinion would be to have him calculate out the job of changing your line, but then subtract the "labor costs" of what the 1st job entailed (minus the oil change of course).

Good luck!

D

·
0 Posts
I would think that since the problem didn't get fixed that he should do the labor free of charge or just a low fee. I hope it all works out.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate your feedback guys. I have known this guy for a while and pretty much everyone with subys in my area go to this guys shop. He really is a good guy and I am sure he will do the best he can to help get me back on the road. It is just a bumber that we did not see it. I am sure that if we had started the car before I left (other than when I drove it out of the shop) to see if it was leaking we would have been good.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I would have to say that the shop is closed today. I have not gotten a return call and no replies to my messages. Looks like I will be taking Monday morning off now as well. This really sucks. The snow is coming down and I have no drift machine!

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
DAMWAGN said:
I have known this guy for a while and pretty much everyone with subys in my area go to this guys shop. He really is a good guy and I am sure he will do the best he can to help get me back on the road.
Sounds like you already established a good relation with this mechanic, something that's not easily done since most shops nowadays just want to take your money and send you on your way. You'd probably get charge very little or not at all from the description of his personality.

Nothing's more annoying than car trouble. Good luck with your repair.

·
Premium Member
07 x auto
147 Posts
I would think that he should have started the car and checked for leaks after the first repair, especially after working on an oil line. my.02 worth.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's the short top hard line comingoff the turbo attaching to the other hardline that goes to the block? I've got it if you need it. I know the dealer cost of that is pretty steep.

Lemme know. I can meet up with you Monday if you want and bring it along.

Hell, we could swap it out in your parking lot.

Frank

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last I recall, when I did not need that portion of the line, it was going for $90. I know exactly how to change it but without there part there is not much I can do. I figure that I can probably have him do it on Monday.

Fank,
Go ahead and bring it with you. If for some reason he can not do it or does not have it I will link up with you. I just do not want to have to drive my car that far if I do not have to as it now creates alot of smoke and would not be worth the trouble of getting pulled over.

I want to order a flex line for that but have no idea where to get it from. Didnt you have to get one for your set up?

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. That is exactly what I am looking for. I will still have to get a stock one just to get me by until the braided one comes in though. Maybe I can just barrow the one from Frank. Phone time.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'll bring it Monday. I've also got an SS braided line for a Slowboy 20G that I don't need. I'm not sure if the top fitting on the VF39 is the same but it will definately fit the block side of the line. I'll bring 'em both. That one is new in the box.

Frank

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool! I will see you tomorrow. I will send you a PM with my number at work so you can just give me a call and we can set something up.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am pretty sure we should be ok, knocks on wood. Frank has done this a couple of times now and I have done it twice. The down side is that we will be outside (parking garage) and the lighting is not that great. But it should be ok. Once in, I will be contacting Forced Performance and trying to get my hands on a stainless steel flex line instead. I know I will be swapping to a larger turbo some time this summer and I do not want to have to deal with this line again. Right now though, i just want to stop being "Spyhunter" as GTP called me the last time. I did make it into work today with very minimal smoke. I kept the car out of boost the whole way and cruised at 55-60 the entire way. I sware it took for ever to get here but clean up was quick and it did not look like my radiator blew up.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we got the line switched out and turned the car on. We did not see any leaks but only time will really tell. I did however leave the heatshielf off for now so that it will be more visible when I get home.

Thanks much to Frank for donating the line and the time to dick with the thing. Next time I will make sure that I have some box wrenches with me. But Frank made due while I was back at my building running around all over trying to find metric wrenches. Go figure that there is not a single one in my building let alone a 12mm which was needed to remove the wastegate actuator for more room to work on the oil line! As if that was not bad enough for him to deal with, the line just did not want to line up and thread back together. Eventually the planets alligned, at exactly the same time and the seas split revealing dry ground and Bam! It went together.

Thanks, all, for your comments. i will now be looking for the other line and trying to get it ordered.

chris

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will let you know how it goes when i get home or later tonight. I have my fingers crossed but think we will be ok.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All is good with the Damwagn! Frank got the line connected and we are not burning any more oil. No Drips!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts