Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was told my shocks are NOT leaking. This was my regular independent mechanic. I had an alignment done about 1 month ago at Les Schwab. They had a new kid doing the alignments I noticed, the regular guy was gone, and after the alignment he said my struts in the rear were leaking. New mechanic who changed the oil this morning said I was smart to get this second opinion, that a lot of people would have paid then and there for the new shocks which ran about $450 I was told too. So it does pay to get a second opinion!! I was also told I should expect a lot of miles be put on my car based on how well I take care of it too!!! Loved hearing that!:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,969 Posts
I keep a close eye on the tire wear & how the vehicle handles. No issues = nothing that needs to be fixed. :wink:

I haven't had an alignment done on either of our Foresters, not even on our '95 Neon Sport, which has been in our family since it was purchased new.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
652 Posts
had been 2 years since my last check
For my 2007 Forester I was supposed to get my alignment checked at a certain point, so I had it checked at the 4 yr mark. It was off by the slightest measureable amount, but it could have been like that from new. I have not gotten an alignment or check on any car since then.

I look at the tires twice a year, and rotate them twice a year, when I put the winter tires on and take them off. If there's no weird tire wear, and the car drives normally, is there a reason to get an alignment check?

I don't even get an alignment when I get new tires.

I couldn't find reasonably-priced alloy winter wheels for my wife's car so I got some aftermarket ones. The offset is slightly different from stock. Would having the wrong offset cause a bigger problem than a slight alignment problem?

·
Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we can have bad roads up here in the spring from the freeze/thaw cycles of winter. Gotta watch those potholes!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I was fed a "leaking shocks" line for warranty work by a dealer on my impreza and then they tried it again a few months later on my forester which i declined. Is funny because the shocks lasted another 175,000 miles. Seems to be a way some shops drum up work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts