Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a 2008 Forester Sports about a month ago and it's an amazing car. I love the AWD and the power it makes. (Upgraded from a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8) However, I have found a few minor things that aren't worth taking it back to the dealership to get fixed as I'd like to get familiar with my vehicle, and I have a couple other questions for the community. I plan on tackling these questions this weekend, so any help is appreciated.

Quick facts:
-Currently has just under 75k miles.
-No accidents on record, nothing suggests it's ever been in an accident.
-AT.

1. When I come to a stop there is a small bump/tick/knock against the gear selector. When I showed my uncle he suggested it was a solenoid clicking when it was downshifting into first gear. We put it in 1 and did a normal stop and the same thing happened. It feels mechanical, like a loose nut is rolling around. I've poked around under the plastic and I didn't see anything. It began doing this about 2.5 weeks after I bought it. It wasn't happening when I test drove the car. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

2. My gear selector light works, then doesn't work. Sometimes it comes on when I turn the lights on, sometimes it comes on five minutes later. I've checked the bulb and it's tight. My plan is to take it out, clean the connectors and try again. If this persists I might test the fuses, check to make sure I'm always getting power to the bulb and such. Are these lights notorious for having intermittent problems?

3. If I really put my foot into it and get it revved up there's a high pitch whistling sound coming from under the car, dead in the center. It usually happens (from a stop) between 2 and 2,500 RPM. It's not very loud and it doesn't last long. I'll be honest I have no idea what this is. Is it something that happens with AWD? A Redditor suggested that it may be a hole in the exhaust, but I doubt that would have passed MD inspection, I will double check though.

4. I'm looking to get the OEM "spoiler" and some splash guards from Subaru Genuine Parts. Has anyone purchased these before? Are they good quality? Is there another brand/store that's better? A Redditor suggested I look at the Rally Armor splash guards.

5. Would anyone happen to have a spare set of the BBS rims a noobie could get? I love the look, but I've only seen them for around 1,200 or 1,400 bucks which is out of my range.

Any help is welcome and appreciated. Please excuse my poor formatting should anything go horribly wrong here.

Here's a link to a picture if anyone is interested.
My 2008 Forester Sport, pup included - Imgur

·
Registered
2007 Sports 2.5XT 5MT
66 Posts
Congrats on the car! Great color.

Regarding 4 & 5

Spoiler - I purchased my oem spoiler from Subiegal (@ Annapolis subaru, in the vendor section). Great service and the part was perfect. The non-led brake light version is much cheaper

Splash guards - if you want something that looks oem, get the splash guards from Subigal or and site that sells the genuine subaru items. they also come up used occasionally. If you want something with a little more protection that looks a little meaner than stock, I like the gorilla flaps. There's a couple threads on the site about them. The color/texture is a little closer to the existing black trim on the forester, and they're tough as nails.

Wheels - you can find BBSs for cheaper than that, just takes some searching and patience since they're getting pretty old. Alternatively, Rota makes some replicas of the spec c wheels in 18x8 and 18x8.5, which are basically just larger gold versions of the 2008 XT sport wheels that normally come in 17x7 (7.5?) in gunmetal.

rota 18x8.5 gravels, oem spoiler, and very hard to see gorilla flaps in the photo below.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,513 Posts
It looks like you're a new member, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Question #1: Take a look here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/06xt-4eat-auto-click-12426/#post140592 & here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ick-noise-not-between-2-3-a-49248/#post551504 :icon_eek:

Question #2: Perhaps the filament in the bulb is open & is swing around in bulb making contact... light, at times? :confused:

I'd recommend Jackie, SubaruPartsGirl here on the forum for accessories & factory/OEM parts. She's a forum supporting vendor & a parts wiz. She gives forum members a discount. Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Automatic
6 Posts
Best Colour (IMO) WRBP

In another Forum post, we discussed the sense of marketing to "us" when WRX & STi have the WRBP colour distinction. Well, we love it, I won't buy any other colour - although my friend bought a "pumpkin" Crosstrek & really loves it, after she sold her beloved 2004 FXT.

Denzil (in Ottawa, Canada)

·
Registered
2008 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply man. Two quick questions for ya.

Is that your vehicle in the photo? Sweet ride, love the look.

Would Subiegal also have pricing and such for the Rota wheels and splash guards? Do you have a direct link where one could buy some?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,699 Posts
Welcome from Pa.
I have a 2008 and none of the issues you have.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for those threads man. I'll try the gel thing and see if that helps any. It's not a bad noise that makes me worried about the car or anything, it's just annoying. I'm very particular about things like this. Just want to be sure everything is in working order.

I'll take a look at the filament again when I open her up. That's not something I'd thought about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts