Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

When I eventually loose all confidence in the stock Geo's in wet weather I would like a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's, has anyone run a set of these before.
What is the dry and wet weather handling like, snow conditions is not a problem as its very, very rare we get any where I live.

·
Premium Member
04 XT 5MT
112 Posts
I have them in 225/55/16 on 16x7 wheels. 4mph speedometer error (slower than indicated)
I run 40 psi front 38 psi rear. Cobb swaybars front&rear. Corners as if on rails. They smoke when you spin them, but do NOT squeel!
They are sticky when warm and I am told they do not wear a long time.
Not a factor with Me...
They are a dedicated rain tire first and dry tire second.
THEY SUCK IN THE SNOW! Almost dangerous...

I also have a set dedicated snow tires.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
I also have my eye on these for summer tires. So anyone opinions would be very helpful

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
I was tempted but they were more than $100 more than the other tyres I ended up with.
You might need to check what the min rim width is for that size especially if you have 17x7s (min might be 7.5)

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
225/50/17 would be a better sizing.

They're a great tyre, just on the expensive side.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I've been running this size for my falken 512s and will probably be picking up the F1s in this size come spring. It's either the F1s or the Avon M500s.

stevem said:
225/50/17 would be a better sizing.

They're a great tyre, just on the expensive side.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
We have Avons on our svx and love them. I had F1s on my m3 and they were great but somewhat less on center feel than the Piots I replaced. Both great in rain.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
How do the Avon's compare to the F1s?

Jeffn said:
We have Avons on our svx and love them. I had F1s on my m3 and they were great but somewhat less on center feel than the Piots I replaced. Both great in rain.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
How do the F1s compare to their other tire - Assurance Triple Treds?

Anyone have any experience with both tires before?

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I really don't think you can compare the F1s to the thriple threads.. The F1s are ultra highperfornace summer tires. The tripple treds are normal all season passenger tires.

SKSTI said:
How do the F1s compare to their other tire - Assurance Triple Treds?

Anyone have any experience with both tires before?

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Thanks, but I do want to hear opinions regarding the difference. I would like to know if the F1s are worth the extra dough. If it's horrible in the wet but great in the dry then I woudln't even consider them. But if they're great in the dry and fairly good in the wet - I'd want to know how good.

I could look up comparo charts, but I'd rather hear input from owners that have long-term experience with these tires.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
SKSTI said:
I could look up comparo charts, but I'd rather hear input from owners that have long-term experience with these tires.
But unless someone has owned both you probably wont get a definitive answer, well unless one of the tyres sucks badly.

The big problem is anyone jumping from Geos to another tyre will think the other tyre is good.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I don't think you will find anyone that will have the Tripple Treads on the same car, wheel combo as the F1s. From what I've read, the F1s are excellent in the dry and wet. I don't see how the tripple treads can compete with Z rated summer rubber. For what the F1s are intended for, they will be hard to beat by any tire in its category.. but now you want to compare the F1 to a tire that's not even it's its category. The only way to get a fair comparo would be to find someone who has used the F1 and the Tripple Tread on the same wheel and car in the same size.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
SKSTI said:
I would like to know if the F1s are worth the extra dough. If it's horrible in the wet but great in the dry then I woudln't even consider them. But if they're great in the dry and fairly good in the wet - I'd want to know how good.
The Eagle F1 GS-D3's are incredible on a dry road - and amazing on a wet road. I had a set of 225/45/ZR17's on my WRX. It was almost impossible to get them to hydroplane - even through standing water. Driving on a wet road with these tires is 99% the same as being on a dry road. They are definately worth the extra $$$ if you are looking for a dedicated summer tire - and the sizing works for you. (Just don't try them in the snow!)

Real world pix:

;)

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Looks gooood.. You're making me want to shell out the extra money now.

wrx_now_forester_xt said:
The Eagle F1 GS-D3's are incredible on a dry road - and amazing on a wet road. I had a set of 225/45/ZR17's on my WRX. It was almost impossible to get them to hydroplane - even through standing water. Driving on a wet road with these tires is 99% the same as being on a dry road. They are definately worth the extra $$$ if you are looking for a dedicated summer tire - and the sizing works for you. (Just don't try them in the snow!)

Real world pix:

;)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
SKSTI said:
Thanks, but I do want to hear opinions regarding the difference. I would like to know if the F1s are worth the extra dough. If it's horrible in the wet but great in the dry then I woudln't even consider them. But if they're great in the dry and fairly good in the wet - I'd want to know how good.

I understand your request but thought I might add this in. Most summer tires these days perform as well as or better than all seasons in the rain with the exception of a few. The main difference being the all season's compound stays softer when the temperatures drop.

Obviously there's no comparison when it comes to dry handling. Just look at the tread patterns and durometer ratings. I've seen a few very favorable reviews on the Eagles recently.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Thank you very much, W-N-FXT. I don't plan on hitting snow anytime soon, so the F1s sounds like great tires.

And thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
How do the Avon's compare to the F1s?
The F1s are higher perf, less flexible than the Avons but both are great in the wet, maybe a tad better with the Fs wet but we have the m500 summer tread.

And I'll add that the F1s are not as precise on initial turn in as Pilots or some others I had but overall a great choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts