Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of 4 Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires. These are a relatively new all weather tire, snow rated in Canada with the snowflake symbol and used year round, not taken off/on like winter tires. Supposedly a premium tire with great reviews.
I expected the tires to be a bit noisier than my original Geolandars (despite many reviews saying how quiet they are) as they have a more aggressive tread. But what I did not expect was the rough ride (many if not most reviews described it as very comfortable). I feel like a tank or an ATV bouncing around and at times am concerned these tires will wreck my suspension.

Any of you....especially Canadians....have any experience oin these or other "all weather tires:?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya....but I am an apartment dweller with no space for storing tires, plus my car is a lease with a year and a half to go. Those original Geolandars were garbage and were cracking at 40,000 KM.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes to alignment....same shop. I am going back to the tire shop to ask about this. Three shops I have gone to have told me their customers are happy with these tires

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
What he said^ check tire pressure but remember not to go to low as when it gets cold the pressure will be lower. Basically do what ever the door says when the tire hasn't been driven (cold pressure).

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If these tires are as rough as I have it, I can only imagine that even softer winter tires are worse. I am mostly looking for Forester owners who have all weather or winter tires but with a pleasant ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got michelin x-ice tires out on my 07 forester and it is smooth as glass. Even with the 250k mile original suspension. Softer tires usually ride smoother, not rougher

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
133 Posts
I just bought a set of 4 Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires. These are a relatively new all weather tire, snow rated in Canada with the snowflake symbol and used year round, not taken off/on like winter tires. Supposedly a premium tire with great reviews.
I expected the tires to be a bit noisier than my original Geolandars (despite many reviews saying how quiet they are) as they have a more aggressive tread. But what I did not expect was the rough ride (many if not most reviews described it as very comfortable). I feel like a tank or an ATV bouncing around and at times am concerned these tires will wreck my suspension.

Any of you....especially Canadians....have any experience oin these or other "all weather tires:?
I bought these tires a while back and I find them to be vastly superior to the Bridgestone Duelers that came with my Forester. They grip the road nicely and the ride is comfortable. Are you sure you have the proper inflation set?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
721 Posts
Did that shop do a proper balance too? Wheels/tires need to cleaned up accumulated muck, then mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
242 Posts
Do check tire pressure after installation. Tire shops use a lot of pressure to snap the bead into place and sometimes forget to drop it back to something reasonable. Some years ago I had an experience like yours and when I checked the pressure it was over 50psi.

We put a set of Weatherready tires on my wife's Mazda. My impression (and it's only an impression) is that it took a few weeks for the tires to break in.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester
2 Posts
I just came from the Discount Tire store in Tallahassee, FL. I had four Goodyear Assurance and I took it to the shop because my TPMS sensor came on and my steering wheel was shifting back and forth. Diagnosis took .3 seconds... the front passenger tire was separating. This was a 2014/2015 tire with roughly half the tread left. I got a $40 credit on the defective tire, four Yokohama tires, and a lot less money. To anyone in the Tallahassee area, I spoke with Chris and highly recommend the shop. No, I didn't notice a significant difference when I swapped the factory Geolanders for the Goodyear Assurance.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 25i CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just came from the Discount Tire store in Tallahassee, FL. I had four Goodyear Assurance and I took it to the shop because my TPMS sensor came on and my steering wheel was shifting back and forth. Diagnosis took .3 seconds... the front passenger tire was separating. This was a 2014/2015 tire with roughly half the tread left. I got a $40 credit on the defective tire, four Yokohama tires, and a lot less money. To anyone in the Tallahassee area, I spoke with Chris and highly recommend the shop. No, I didn't notice a significant difference when I swapped the factory Geolanders for the Goodyear Assurance.
The Weatherready is newer....came out only in 2017 or early 2018...not sure when. The assurance is an all season and the Weatherready is a softer all weather tire

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
544 Posts
I over inflated some tires to see if I could get better gas mileage. Was like driving on rocks.
I was young and dumb and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I also have gone to a second alignment shop to check on the first one. Balance, alignment, half price when you tell them you are having a problem and want to check up on the other place. (without naming them)

I am in hick Maine so that may make a difference.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
636 Posts
We are replacing our OEM Duelers on my 2017 Forester XT this week with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires. Only have 28K on the Duelers and they are beginning to show wear bars.

Local Goodyear retailer is running a special this week and next of only $25 to mount and balance all 4 tires. Also, Goodyear is offering a mail in rebate $100 visa card if you buy a set of 4 before 12/31/18. Total OTD price with taxes, state mandated fees in PA is $943.

Will report back after a 1000 miles and first big major snowfall use

·
Registered
2016 Forester
115 Posts
We are replacing our OEM Duelers on my 2017 Forester XT this week with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires. Only have 28K on the Duelers and they are beginning to show wear bars.
Are you sure you're not looking at the snow platform (winter wear) indicators? I have 7/32nds remaining on all 4 of my OEM Duelers at 30K on my 2016. The snow platforms are at 5/32nds, are only in the outer grooves, and have small ribs on them before they are worn. The main wear indicators are at 2/32nds, are smooth, cross all four grooves, and are aligned with the tread wear indicator triangles on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
636 Posts
Yep....thanks for that @16SubuFore ! I am looking a the snow platform wear indicators and they are at 5/32nds. I will be driving from time to time back and forth to Cleveland from Pittsburgh and I am not going to risk it with the OEM tires at this stage of wear. I-80 and Cleveland in general can have some really nasty winter weather with the lake effect snow.

I should have been more specific. Great call out for those that are not aware of the two different wear indicators.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i
23 Posts
I put the weatherready's on my 2018, bumped up from 225 60 r17 to 225 65 r17 (much cheaper per tire and a little more ground clearance, a win-win) and couldn't be happier, they have been fantastic so far. Quiet, smooth ride overall and in the rain far superior to the OE Yoko Geolanders. Worst thing is a little drop in MPG but that was expected given the more aggressive tread and better traction, I'll take that any day for better tires.

Looking forward to some snow this winter.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
@dirtyduke
There could be a couple things going on there, the tire is taller so potentially you could lose mpg on that,also the computer sees you as traveling less distance due to the taller tire unless you are calculating the mpg manually. I am quite interested in seeing how these work out. I haven't bought snow tires for my Forester yet because I like the all weather option if they prove to be good :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts