Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
They got the XT part right in the body.

Also they mentioned the dodgy security, which I think is very poor but it seems to pass all these wonderful 5 star security ratings. The bloody central locking button is easily reached from the top of frameless doors???

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
dicknose said:
They got the XT part right in the body.

Also they mentioned the dodgy security, which I think is very poor but it seems to pass all these wonderful 5 star security ratings. The bloody central locking button is easily reached from the top of frameless doors???
This is not good re security. I really didn't know it as that easy !

I'm going to quiz the dealer on this. Not good enough

Maybe that is why they put datadot on it - knew it was gong to be stolen.

:(

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
You can query all you like, they will point to some security rating by the NRMA that says its good and yet theives have broken into Foresters without leaving a mark.
A year or so ago a bunch were hit at Macquarie Centre, which isnt good news when thats your local shops.

Some people had the spare wheel stolen (yes a steelie) but that would be a bigger risk with the MY06 having an alloy spare.

Have a look at the drivers door, the arm rest has a bunch of buttons which should include the central locking. Look at where it is and now imagine how easy it is to poke a curved bit of something in the top of the window and push that button - bingo every door including the rear are unlocked.

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
Candy said:
- knew it was gong to be stolen.

:(
That's only for getting 'into' the car. They would have had a much harder time getting around the imobiliser.

Given that most people who are going to steal stuff from inside the car are quite happy to break windows, I would not worry too much about them getting into the vehicle in this way.

You could of course, get an alarm 'upgrade' with microwave detectors in the vehicle.
http://cobracaralarms.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1108514063702-3464

Rob.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
soobdo said:
That's only for getting 'into' the car. They would have had a much harder time getting around the imobiliser.

Rob.
The datadots comment was just being facetious Rob

However, the immobiliser only stops it being driven, not trailered.

As you say, any car is "easy" to break into. I just assumed that Subaru would have thought a little about placement of the locks given the older models and current clmate.

As for alarms - pointless. People generally ignore them from what I have seen and thieves are usually in and out before it helps any.

I guess I'm just disappointed it wasn't thought out a little.

No drama, hasn't put me off my purchase.

Edit - aren't you all glad my little sheep girlfriend has gone :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The foz is a lot lower key than other subarus in the range (except for Dicknose's which has a bonnet scoop that could swallow an albatross whole without even clipping its wings). Park a foz and wrx 2 side by side in a street in Woolloomooloo and I guarantee your run-of-the-mill teenage junkie will go the rex first and then the forester (probably only 2 minutes later though :D )

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
1_hung_low said:
The foz is a lot lower key than other subarus in the range (except for Dicknose's which has a bonnet scoop that could swallow an albatross whole without even clipping its wings). Park a foz and wrx 2 side by side in a street in Woolloomooloo and I guarantee your run-of-the-mill teenage junkie will go the rex first and then the forester (probably only 2 minutes later though :D )
Rex first, any commodore second, falcon third. The Forester is probably below 10th on the list. ;-)

The Falcons in particular were doing a roaring trade in thefts of the premium sound system for a while. Break one window, pop the trunk, undo a few screws, and your away to the local pub with a couple of amplifiers.

Rob.

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
Candy said:
However, the immobiliser only stops it being driven, not trailered.
Anyone prepared to trailer a vehicle is not going to be stopped by anything short of a trunk monkey with a shotgun. :-( Datadots do tend to discourage this sort though.
As you say, any car is "easy" to break into. I just assumed that Subaru would have thought a little about placement of the locks given the older models and current clmate.
Actually, I'd rather they were in (and out) without damaging anything. It's just as easy (and quicker) for them to smash a window.
As for alarms - pointless. People generally ignore them from what I have seen and thieves are usually in and out before it helps any.
Agreed on that. That's why I don't have an alarm. Since Australia legislated that imobilisers were compulsary in new cars (and that they met a certian standard) you simply don't hear of a lot of 'newer' cars being driven away.

Rob.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
soobdo said:
Rex first, any commodore second, falcon third. The Forester is probably below 10th on the list. ;-)

The Falcons in particular were doing a roaring trade in thefts of the premium sound system for a while. Break one window, pop the trunk, undo a few screws, and your away to the local pub with a couple of amplifiers.

Rob.
yeah, the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel :D :D

Apologies about my bitterness about this suburb. It just seems that I have a 50% strike rate every time I park in this area, and guess what, I am heading there this afternoon for a few beers with mates, hence I am nervous AGAIN.

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
1_hung_low said:
yeah, the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel :D :D

Apologies about my bitterness about this suburb. It just seems that I have a 50% strike rate every time I park in this area, and guess what, I am heading there this afternoon for a few beers with mates, hence I am nervous AGAIN.
Just dance like your sig - that will drive the thieves away!:D

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
The folks at AZP (back here in the states) have devised a three stage system which will increase the Subaru security system's effectiveness immensely.

They're in northern new jersey, which is pretty much the car theft mecca of the northeastern US.

I'm not sure if you'd want to go through the trouble of ordering stuff from them, but perhaps there is something similar in your neck of the woods?

I know that one of the things that they do is to modify the driver door window/lock control panel, but I'm not sure how... it's top-secret!

azpinstalls.com, if you're interested.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
soobdo said:
Actually, I'd rather they were in (and out) without damaging anything. It's just as easy (and quicker) for them to smash a window.
Rob.
Easy - leave the windows down and the car unlocked :p

Point taken though. I still think it is silly design "fault" but as many have said, if they want to get in they will.

I'm in a low crime area so no big drama.

Cheers

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Candy said:
Easy - leave the windows down and the car unlocked :p
While I know thats in jest, it is actually illegal.

blitzoid - car theft in Australia is much worse than in the US. Not sure if this is just a historical thing (been easy, not tough on sentancing young offenders etc) or a reflection of the fact that we are very urbanised (most of us live in large cities of million plus)
Australia has about 4 times the rate of car theft than the USA (but a bit less than England!)
One good thing is that now all new cars must have an immobiliser. But that doesnt stop people trying to grab stuff from the cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts