Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for either high-perf all-seasons or summer tires that are also good in the wet, but want to keep them as light as possible, the goal being to minimize rotational mass, unsprung weight, etc. Also not particularly interested in going wide- been there, done that on other vehicles. I kind of want to keep the sleeper look, and actually enjoy slipping the wheels on dry pavement on the odd occasion...

Bought some NIB 17X7 BBS RKs (OEM Saab 9-2X Aero, ET 48 ) relatively cheap from GenuineSaab.com. (OK, and the BBS center caps to go with them. I've always wanted some BBS wheels, and likely won't find any new ones that are cheaper :) )

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=385&osCsid=762c4a3d01eabf8f499a6b49e71fdf38

These will replace the stock 16 inchers in the Spring when the snow tires come off. They are not super light, but not bad at just under 17 lbs.

Most tires I'm finding in the sizes below are in the 25 to 30 lb. range... according to Tire Rack, the stock POS 16" Geo's were only about 20 lbs.

I'm considering 215/50, 225/50, maybe even 215/55 (~25.4 to 26.3" diam.). And yes, the different diameters will affect acceleration 8)

TIA for any recommendations.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What- no replies yet? :lol:

Just playing at post ho...for the larger cause!

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
There was a post here for a second about tire rack and OZ Supperleggas on sale. I don't remember who posted it (aname avatar) but thanks for the info. I wanted to purchace summer wheels soon.

Ben

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
There was a post here for a second about tire rack and OZ Supperleggas on sale. I don't remember who posted it (aname avatar) but thanks for the info. I wanted to purchace summer wheels soon.

Ben
I posted it but deleted after I reread the thread and missed the keyword that FXT22 was seeking lightweight tires and not wheels.

Yes, Tirerack is currently running a sale on the OZ Superleggeras - silver. $189 each for a 17 x 7 offset 48mm wheel at 15.9lbs. I found a used set locally and it ended up being a BMW specific application :x

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tre36 said:
Benrock05201 said:

Ben
I posted it but deleted after I reread the thread and missed the keyword that FXT22 was seeking lightweight tires and not wheels.

Yes, Tirerack is currently running a sale on the OZ Superleggeras - silver. $189 each for a 17 x 7 offset 48mm wheel at 15.9lbs. I found a used set locally and it ended up being a BMW specific application :x
N00Bs! Oh, wait- we all have the same "Born On" date... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
N00Bs! Oh, wait- we all have the same "Born On" date... :lol:[/quote]

:lol:

Ben[/quote]

You sure about that ? :wink:

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-S Are pretty much the lightest out there, as far as I know. Pretty good in the wet and such, but they are solidly a summer tire. Apparently they lose a lot of their traction properties when it gets cold.

I don't know if the T1-R is similarly light, but it's worth looking into as well.

Out of the sizes you listed, the T1-S is only available in 215/50. No idea how much $$$.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
ran t1-s (215/50) on mine for the last 18months. Slightly soft shoulders & sidewalls , but just run +2psi . Great grip dry/wet - not snow though.... Used extensively by the impreza guys.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
+1 for the Toyo T1-S
Definitely one of the lightest performance tires. I had them on my 04 Prelude and they worked well. Wet traction decreased as they got older. Expensive.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I think the T1-s has been replaced by the T1-r but you might be able to find them still. Don't know in those sizes though.

The Michelin pilot sport is also a relatively light tire (24lbs. in 225/45-18")and while not an "all season" tire, perform as well as most all seasons in the rain if not better unless the temperatures drop significantly. Actually I think that this is what differentiates an all season from a summer is the temperature range more than construction or tread design.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all-season) tires are lightweight and have excellent traction in wet conditions; so much even that it is easy to get over-confident sometimes because they have a tendency to give the impression that the road isn't even wet. They also do very well in light snow.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stevem said:
N00Bs! Oh, wait- we all have the same "Born On" date... :lol:
:lol:

Ben[/quote]

You sure about that ? :wink:[/quote]

Just we Proles who were denied early access to the party :lol:

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies- I will check out the Toyos... I'm thinking the Pilots might be a little too rich for my (semi-cheap when it comes to tires) blood.

·
Registered
563 Posts
FXT22 said:
Looking for either high-perf all-seasons or summer tires that are also good in the wet, but want to keep them as light as possible, the goal being to minimize rotational mass, unsprung weight, etc. Also not particularly interested in going wide- been there, done that on other vehicles. I kind of want to keep the sleeper look, and actually enjoy slipping the wheels on dry pavement on the odd occasion...

Bought some NIB 17X7 BBS RKs (OEM Saab 9-2X Aero, ET 48 ) relatively cheap from GenuineSaab.com. (OK, and the BBS center caps to go with them. I've always wanted some BBS wheels, and likely won't find any new ones that are cheaper :) )

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=385&osCsid=762c4a3d01eabf8f499a6b49e71fdf38

These will replace the stock 16 inchers in the Spring when the snow tires come off. They are not super light, but not bad at just under 17 lbs.

Most tires I'm finding in the sizes below are in the 25 to 30 lb. range... according to Tire Rack, the stock POS 16" Geo's were only about 20 lbs.

I'm considering 215/50, 225/50, maybe even 215/55 (~25.4 to 26.3" diam.). And yes, the different diameters will affect acceleration 8)

I been thinking about these rims. Now that you have them, what is you impression about them? Quality, weight etc.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
zee lee said:
FXT22 said:

I been thinking about these rims. Now that you have them, what is you impression about them? Quality, weight etc.
Looks like those would make great track wheels, great find!

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DOHCammin said:
zee lee said:
Looks like those would make great track wheels, great find!
Can't really judge how they will look on the car yet as they are sitting in the garage (in the original BBS boxes, with the Saab center caps installed!)- but the finished quality is first rate, as expected. Someone on NASIOC stated that they were told that the wheels weighed ~16.8 lbs., however the best I could measure on the bathroom scale was 17 lbs. (still not bad for a 17").

Price aside, I liked the looks of these wheels (and had in fact eyeballed them close up on a 9-2X earlier on the same day that I heard about the Saab parts dealer selling them) and since they are OEM for the Saabaru I knew that there wouldn't be any fitment issues.

They also look easy to clean, and may be relatively rare in the future since the 9-2X probably won't be around much longer... Once they go on in the Spring I will try to give a full review...still trying to pick out rubber!

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Springtime update

Put 'em on over the weekend. Pics in the Wheel Gallery (post #57).

Ended up with Michelin Pilot Exalto HPAS in 215/50-17, which weigh ~23#, which combined with the RSK wheel (~17#) land right around 40# per corner- very close to stock.

So far, the tires perform as advertised (well in the dry and wet), and the slightly smaller than stock diameter is working out as I had hoped- it now winds out just that much quicker in all gears... :cool:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
jbleee said:
Wow, how can those BBS's be such a good deal!?
I just might get them now
No kidding. I wanted 18s, but WOW! More credit card debt, here I come! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts