Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of installing Led lights to serve like the OEM Footwell Illumination Kit inside the Fozie. I just want to know if there's anything in particular (brand, type, etc.) that you guys know that performs better than the OEM kit? Or probably, an alternative solution to this setup?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,746 Posts
Oh, goodness. Lots of discussion about this. I started by hooking up the map lights so they would go on with the dome light. That having been done, I plan (when the weather gets warm) to connect LEDs in the footwells, paralleled with their respective map lights.

I'm planning on using these LED assemblies for the job. I already have one of them installed in the cargo area.

Description of the map light mod here.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, goodness. Lots of discussion about this. I started by hooking up the map lights so they would go on with the dome light. That having been done, I plan (when the weather gets warm) to connect LEDs in the footwells, paralleled with their respective map lights.

I'm planning on using these LED assemblies for the job. I already have one of them installed in the cargo area.

Description of the map light mod here.
Wow. That post was very technical and difficult for me to understand! I just want to add the LED lights, perhaps a strip, by the foot area in driver/passenger seats. I don't want to change the dome lights. Do I still have to apply the same principles as you have described from your post?

Let's say I want to purchase this particular LED light, V-LEDS HIGH POWER V-LINK 3 LED BLUE LIGHT BULB. Do I need any other parts in order to install this?

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Technically you don't need any parts, but you have to find a way to wire that LED to a power source on your car. You'll likely need to splice them to some wires that connect to a 12volt power source: the little LED in the center storage bin is a possible place to tap. I used 22 gauge speaker cable for my mods since it was easy. Some things that would be helpful for the install would be shrink tubing, soldering iron, multimeter... Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked at V-LEDs, but I prefer superbrightleds which offers dimensions, light wavelength, and lumen output for most of their LEDs. I've ordered from them multiple times and have not been let down.
What's the difference between the V-LEDs and SupreBrightLeds?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
let me just point out that the stock footwell illumination kit on the SH's at least works pretty well. Its just bright enough to work well and not be distracting during night time driving AND it dims with the dimmer switch

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me just point out that the stock footwell illumination kit on the SH's at least works pretty well. Its just bright enough to work well and not be distracting during night time driving AND it dims with the dimmer switch
yes i agree. i've seen a few people use the oem footwell kit and were quite satisfied with the results. i'm just a little hesistant to do this because of the price, which is around $40...wherein an aftermarket LED can be as cheap as under $10.

how bright is the OEM footwell kit anyway? is it as bright as the one by the center console (underneath the a/c controls)?

how will i know if i can dim an aftermarket LED? or do all LEDs do that?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
here's a good pic of mine installed to compare the brightness to all the other lights in the car

checkout my member journal for more pics and a link to my flickr page
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/jkoppees-09-pic-heavy-69950/

I know the $40 is more than what you'll pay for aftermarket ones but the time you'll save cutting and splicing wires makes it worth it. The EOM kit just plugs right into the existing light in the pocket next to cig lighter.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,746 Posts
If you want the footwell lights to come on with the dome light and map lights, then you have to do what's in the diagram. This includes replacing ALL the existing lights with LEDs so as not to overload the controller. If you just want them to be controlled by a switch or to always be on when the key is on, then there are simpler ways of wiring that don't involve the dome light. The back of the lighter is a good place to get key-on electricity, and you can get always-on electricity (for use with a switch) at the place Peaty described in this post at Scoobymods.

V-LEDs and Super Bright LEDs are simply two different companies. People have gotten good stuff from each of them. Just buy what works for you. This isn't an especially critical application, and even appearance doesn't really matter since it will all be pretty much hidden.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's a good pic of mine installed to compare the brightness to all the other lights in the car

checkout my member journal for more pics and a link to my flickr page
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/jkoppees-09-pic-heavy-69950/

I know the $40 is more than what you'll pay for aftermarket ones but the time you'll save cutting and splicing wires makes it worth it. The EOM kit just plugs right into the existing light in the pocket next to cig lighter.
Looks nice man! Would you happen to know by any chance if aftermarket LEDs can be dimmed with switch?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I'm sure most LEDs can be dimmed with no problem but this means you'll have to tap into the wiring the dimmer switch is on for the power and then splice in the wires you want which won't be overly hard but would definitely be more of a pain then just buying the kit. you're looking at $10 - $20 for the LEDs plus wiring plus connectors plus your time to run the wires, splice them in correctly and then shrink wrap/electrical tape all the connections and install the LEDs. To me this isn't worth the maybe $10 savings you'd get by just ordering the Subaru specific part.

Now if this were something where the Subaru part is 3 to 4 times the price of the DiY (like the puddle lights which was more like 8 times the price) then I'd say go the DiY route but in this case you're really not saving any money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts