Mileage: 97942
Exterior: Silver
Engine: 4-Cylinder
2.5L
Trans: Automatic
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Trim/Package: S

Options
4 Door, All Wheel Drive, Automatic Transmission, Luggage Rack, Rear Wiper, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Defrost, Tilt Steering, AM/FM Radio, CD Player, Antilock Brakes, Backup Sensors, Driver Air Bag.

I cannot post a direct URL, because I'm new to the forum though. A picture can be found on Omaha, NE craigslist under Subaru Forester. I am a first time forester buyer and I am very interested in finding one. The price is extremely high according to KBB which in excellent condition should be 4,100$. I would like an opinion if the is model a decent one, does the model year have any particular problems, and overall, should I purchase this car. If, that is, I can talk them down.

Thank you.
Ben.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I think you may have a hard time talking them down anywhere near KBB, and they'll probably tell you it has the servicing that needs to be done. Searching around there's not much being offered for sale in your area, and they are in the same price range as others.

If you're willing to travel, I'd start searching outside the Lincoln area and into surrounding states to see if something stands out. Make it a road trip with a friend if you find something and have fun doing it.

Maybe you'll find that there's a market in your area that drives the price and not KBB.

Overall if the servicing was done right, it looks good, I also thought the price should be lower.

Good Luck, keep us informed with how your search goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would gladly buy a car out of state, but it seems to be more trouble than its worth. And i don't necessarily have the money or time for a road trip.

Are there any specific model years to stay away from?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I would gladly buy a car out of state, but it seems to be more trouble than its worth. And i don't necessarily have the money or time for a road trip.

Are there any specific model years to stay away from?
The 98 (and maybe early 99?) that have the DOHC motor. The headgaskets on those -will- fail rather than "might" fail.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
$8000 for a '99 is huge money. I can buy '02s like mine all day long for that.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Kelley Blue Book Retail for that '99 Foreter is $7,300 or so, you must have looked it up wrong when you came up with $4,100.

If they are doing all that maintenance, and the car is otherwise sorted and has a good maintenance history and no accidents, I would say that car is a very good price even if you pay what they are asking.

I say that because, if that was at our dealership and was in good condition and had all that stuff done, it would be sold about 5 minutes after it was traded in. If it is sitting there still (likely because it is not a Subaru dealer) hit 'em with $7,000 and if they settle at $7,500 I'd say it was well bought. *assuming the history is good on the vehicle and all that work was done properly*

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
I would say its ridiculously expensive. Suggested retail are just like MSRP from retailer and the car have to in perfect condition. Blue book does not mean really mean market value for the car. Its more like maximum value the bank will loan you and no bank really give you book value anymore.

Its your money so if you are happy to spend that much on 11 year old car by all means go ahead but if you ask this forum opinion then majority would say its way overpriced.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/subaru/forester/12201/prices.html

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
I bought my 2004 X with 108k miles for $8,000 from local Subaru dealer, with belts and head gasket done. Even got 2 new tires after long bargaining :) . I got a very good price because other dealers had cars in worse condition costing 2000 more and unwilling to bargain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts