Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had enough sliding around on my worn out Geolandars. With 35 inches on the ground and counting I think I'll still get plenty of use out of a set of dedicated winters this season. The recommended tire that comes with the package is the Michelin X-Ice. They sound pretty solid from what I've read. Any experiences with them? I'm gonna get 205/65s on 16 inch steel wheels.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
You made a very good choice, the X-Ice's are a very good tire. You're going to have a lot of fun, except for when the frustration sets in that you are going ungodly slow still because everyone around you is still on all seasons. Then the smugness sets in, that rivals even the smugness that a Prius owner has, and you will soon find your eyes noticing winter tires on other cars, and nodding knowingly to those drivers in passing, for you are now brothers. Yeah. Enjoy them!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Why 205/65R16's for your '09 instead of 215/65R16's (stock size for base X model)?

:confused:
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Tire Rack recommends that size, likely because generally speaking, narrower is better for snow tires (within reason).

Plus, I imagine more winter tires are available in the 205's than 215's, just guessing though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah they are going to look funny since I'm used to the wider 17s, but that's what tirerack recommended. She's pretty helpless in the slippery stuff right now, with 40,000 miles on the stock Geos. Just lots of slippin' and slidin' and lights flashing in the dash. I've resorted to driving the Suburban until they arrive - it's that bad. I made my final decision when I was doing a Y-turn to double back on my original path on a country road, and she just slid down into the ditch. Even my old FWD Lumina could have held the road better with its all-seasons. Not impressed at all with the stock tires.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Yeah the OEM Geolandars are crap. Most OEM tires are. Like, even though there are Geolandars that are generally well regarded, the particular version used for OEM suuuucks. But hey, it keeps costs down on the new car purchase.

Besides, they won't look funny, they will say to the world "I'm smart enough to run winter tires in the winter."

If there is one downside to winter tires, it's that you really, really need to watch in your rearview mirror in traffic, like on the highway if it's snowing, you will easily be able to stop quickly if needed, but that means that the person on all-seasons behind you is coming right up your butt.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Yeah, TR "recommends" the 205/65R16, but they also list the 215 as an "alternate", and I couldn't find an explanation for their recommendation. I don't think selection is involved, as they've got 10 winter 215/65R16's available, but only four 205's.

The 205's should work satisfactorily, but the speedo and odo may read "high" by ~2%.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
You will enjoy the X-Ice winter tires; they perform very well. I've had mine for 2 winters now and they do very well in the slushy snow as well as the powder. Just remember that you still need plenty of room for braking in the snow.

Michael

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
They probably recommend the 205 as narrower tires are generally preferred for winter driving. They cut through the snow better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts