Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
109 Posts
Haha, I swear, this is hands down the best visual SG Forester hack out there. It's just unreasonable for the JDM switch to cost as much as it does. I mean, it does now light up the entire switch when the lights are on rather than just the triangles, but it's just so visually pleasing to my eyes that I don't care in the least.

·
Registered
07 Forester XT 5MT
19 Posts
Build is looking great!

When you get into the suspension, definitely take the effort to replace as many bushings as you can get to. Around this past Christmas, I did latteral link, rear trailing arm, control arm, shifter linkage, the transmission crossmember and differential crossmember bushing in my 07 XT. WOW, it's like driving a new car.

Powered sub is fun, too. A shallow sub can replace the frisbee Subaru calls that speaker that's in the rear left of the cargo area. When I did speakers and a sub I put killmat (sound deadening pads) in my doors, hatch and cargo area. That cut down road noise, too.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Build is looking great!

When you get into the suspension, definitely take the effort to replace as many bushings as you can get to. Around this past Christmas, I did latteral link, rear trailing arm, control arm, shifter linkage, the transmission crossmember and differential crossmember bushing in my 07 XT. WOW, it's like driving a new car.

Powered sub is fun, too. A shallow sub can replace the frisbee Subaru calls that speaker that's in the rear left of the cargo area. When I did speakers and a sub I put killmat (sound deadening pads) in my doors, hatch and cargo area. That cut down road noise, too.
It’s like you read my mind!

I’m pretty sure most of the bushings are the O.E.

The rear control arm bushings have spewed liquid all over the place, so those need to be replaced. The “anti lift” kits seem to be the easiest option as they don’t need you press out the old bushings, but good gawd they are proud of those!

I was hoping someone made a kit that had all the suspension bushings in it, I found one for the 02-07 WRX that has quite a few from Energy suspension I think I’m going to go with.

·
Registered
07 Forester XT 5MT
19 Posts
I bought all mine individually, and all whiteline. It was pretty painless (press bushing out, two piece poly back in), except for the control arm.

There's two bushings and a ball joint.

The "anti lift kit" big *** bushing in a bracket, I ended up buying new OEM brackets with the bushing already installed. I'd read the after market one are particularly noisy (IDK for sure), and the OEM are far cheaper. The bolt that goes through that bushing torques to 185 ftlb, rofl, and is in a position you can't get a socket on it, just a standard 12 point wrench.

The other bushing has a thick metal sleeve. I attempted to cut it out, but failed. I called around and a local auto shop got it pressed out of both for me.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bought all mine individually, and all whiteline. It was pretty painless (press bushing out, two piece poly back in), except for the control arm.

There's two bushings and a ball joint.

The "anti lift kit" big *** bushing in a bracket, I ended up buying new OEM brackets with the bushing already installed. I'd read the after market one are particularly noisy (IDK for sure), and the OEM are far cheaper. The bolt that goes through that bushing torques to 185 ftlb, rofl, and is in a position you can't get a socket on it, just a standard 12 point wrench.

The other bushing has a thick metal sleeve. I attempted to cut it out, but failed. I called around and a local auto shop got it pressed out of both for me.
oof! Sounds fun...

I wanted to avoid the factory bushings as they're fluid filled and leak and spray everywhere. I also want to upgrade to the STI control arms eventually, so I may just wait until I can get those and swap all the bushings on the STI arms. And then just swap arms. Decisions decisions....

So the anti lift kits bushings are noisey eh? That's probably why Subaru went with those fluid filled bushings in the first place.

I appreciate the heads up!

·
Registered
07 Forester XT 5MT
19 Posts
I struggled to find definitive information on the front control arms. The geometry of the front end is where the Forester and the STI really diverge. The purpose of the STI control arm + ALK combo is to lower the mounting point of the control arm. This angles the front strut slightly, adding caster.

The problem is that the Foresters already kinda have an ALK, the "transverse bushing" (that's the big *** bushing we're talking about) are already in a bracket that's the same size as the aftermarket ALKs. Further more, that bracket mounts into sandwiched nut that allows you move the bracket forward, and add a little caster.

Here's a cool Forester XT blog on the subject. He ends up with a caster of 3.8 on the STI arm. I have my numbers from my alignment in January, and my caster is 3.6 edit on the stock arm, so I'm not sure what the STI arm gets ya.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
109 Posts
I know it's just eye candy, but there is something so much more visually appealing about the red hazard switch. It's that big of a change in the WRX too. Glad you satisfied the need. Besides, real JDM stuff is legit.

Reactions: senorlechero

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Another quick and easy mod today, I finally found a “deal” on a set of well visors for Goldfinger and got me slapped on today.
I really need new window seals🤦‍♂️

Also, don’t judge my garage! I haven’t had a chance to get new storage shelves and work benches built so all of our stuff is EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
95 Posts
I like those a lot, a lot less chunky and way more subtle than most I see. What is the benefit of putting visors on the windows (besides aesthetics?) just to crack the windows if it slightly raining?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yep, keeps water out with the window cracked, helps dissipate heat and cold, and you can crack the window at speed without as much noise and turbulance.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
109 Posts
Where did you find those? That is exactly what I am looking for, but I've been unsatisfied with everything I've found on eBay and such. They look really clean being one piece.

EDIT - Never mind, all I had to do was look up wellvisor and forester and there they are. Problem solved. Pricey, but still solved.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
eBay is where I got mine, I've had some in my watchlist for forever but they were absolutely stupidly priced, like $400+ and there was NO WAY I was paying anywhere close to that.

A Few days ago a seller sent me an offer for $99 shipped, I bit real fast on that one as that is about what pricing was when they were available as far as I can tell. I feel like they were worth it anyways.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Installed the speakers today, what a difference!!!

cheapest speakers Crutchfield had and the difference they make is astounding.

·
Registered
07 Forester XT 5MT
19 Posts
While I didn't do the work today, I did update my member journal today to cover my speaker install. I didn't get the cheapest, but I did get a lower end speaker, and it's still a huge improvement. Stock is just garbage.

Is your garage floor sealed? Did you do the work and if so, how'd it go?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Is your garage floor sealed? Did you do the work and if so, how'd it go?
it is sealed, I did not do it. It looks like previous owners did the cheapest job they could to make it “look nice”.

It doesn’t have a top coat, so all the flakes stick to me every time I’m on the floor working. And brake parts cleaner bubbles it up.

from what I can find online it looks like an easy enough weekend project to do RIGHT.
I’ll have to do a top coat sooner or later. I wish they’d left it bare concrete.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
109 Posts
Caulk and paint, make it what it ain't, right? That's a bummer. You should be able to handle sealing it with epoxy over a weekend no problem. To me, it just seems strange to only do it half way.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmmmm, I’ve noticed an intermittent rythmic clunking from the back of my car, I’ll have to track that down sooner rather than later.
I don’t think it’s the wheel bearings as it isn’t constant

21 - 40 of 48 Posts