Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a rather long and very frustrating search I Finally found an XT that I was willing to pay for.
it’s not stock and it’s not an ‘05 like I would’ve preferred, but a lot of the mods are stuff that was on my list anyways, the previous owners just went the wrong direction with the suspension!:ROFLMAO:

2006 XT 4eat with 173,000

first “mod” complete! This is so much better than the factory key and separate fob. Super easy too, if you’ve been waiting, stop

and second “mod” complete. This isn’t as simple as the second gen outbacks, that’s a straight up plug and play. I had to bore out the opening with a dremel and files, then cut the connection apart to fit.

Next up to get this thing off the ground, I have to be SO careful going over speed bumps it’s driving me crazy!
JDM body bits will go, the coilovers will go in favor of factory stuff and the BRZ wheels will go in favor of smaller wheels with beefier tires.
I need to pick a double din unit as well.
And maintenance stuff.
then save for the eventual engine rebuild/replace/build.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
That looks like the key for my17.

I have a power adapter plugged into my cig lighter for cell phone charging. No cig lighter in yours?

Glad you found something,, remember you looking a couple months back.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,454 Posts
@senorlechero congratulations on the Forester XT purchase! Always good to see a member starting a new Members' Journal!

That would be this popular remote fob upgrade!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: senorlechero

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have a power adapter plugged into my cig lighter for cell phone charging. No cig lighter in yours?

Glad you found something,, remember you looking a couple months back.
I replaced the 12v outlet with a Blue Sea dual USB, I don't use the cig lighter for anything other than my charge cables and this is much cleaner in my opinion.
Got a right fancy radiator there ,Kemosabe
You going back to stock height or higher?
Oh yeah! Initially I was only considering stock vehicles, but when I met these folks and saw that most of the mods were ones I had in mind anyway, I went for it.

I think I'll just go to stock, maybe 1-2" higher at most.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed the Grimm speed good struts today. It’s amazing how nice this is.

I went to install my Hella supertones and was dismayed that the horns aren’t where they were on my ‘02 outback, that install was super simple. From pop the hood to done was MAYBE 15 minutes
Where the heck are the horns on these things? :ROFLMAO:
I only broke one clip removing the grill

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, after a very long break that included my wife involved in a serious wreck in her 4runner(shes 100% now thank to that vehicle) loss of all her clients, COVID-19 shutdown, sold our house and moved from SoCal to AZ, the Foz developed a bad misfire, compression and leakdown showed the most likely culprit was a valve, so the question became do I just fix the heads or rebuild the engine that had 174k miles?

I decided to rebuild, Subiworks in Murrieta took care of everything for me, I refreshed just about everything in or on the engine/engine bay. I left the engine stock, other than some reliability and insurance in case of future power, mods. ARP head studs, timing belt retainer, forged pistons and some other stuff. New WP, oil pump, full reseal etc etc etc. So nothing "fun" but I now have an excellent running Forrester. I have about 200 miles left on the break in before I do the first oil change.

I've ordered some parts to start getting this thing off the ground as I'll be building it up as my adventure mobile. Stock take off struts are inbound and should be here tomorrow and then I'll have to order some 225/65r17 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires. I eventually want to go with Method MR501s in 15" but I have 17" wheels on it now and that size will give me some sidewall to work with.

I also picked up a Sony XAV-AX1000 head unit, I like having a Volume knob and that's one of the few to offer one.
I plan to replace all the speakers and do a powered sub sooner rather than later.
Getting the tint redone to replace the shoddy, wrinkled, cracked tint job from the previous owner.

I want to replace the shift knob with something unique, but can't find many people that make them with 10x1.25 thread. I stumbled across lightsaber shift knobs last night but can't find anyone making them currently, that'd be cool for sure. I'll probably just commission WC Lathe werks to make me one.

Anyways, I wanted to replace the window gussets BEFORE my drive from CA to AZ but they didn't show up in time, knocked that out yesterday and identified some old brittle plastic bits that need to be replaced, ordered those up. Little stuff adds up

Lookout on the drive

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check out this guy. He‘s a one man operation and makes nice shift knobs, e-brake items, etc...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out this guy. He‘s a one man operation and makes nice shift knobs, e-brake items, etc...

I'll check him out, thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got the tint redone yesterday, the previous owners had done a very shody shade tree tint job, it was purple and full of wrinkles, scratches, gaps and was just ugly.

I did the first oil change on the new engine today, cut open the filter to take a look at the element and all looks well.
Anyone see any issue here?

I also installed my Sony XAV-AX1000 with it's bluetooth microphone, removing the windshield pillar to run the wirings for that turned out to be a huge PITA. If I had to do it again I would pick a different location for the microphone. I might just do that when I get my replacement pillar trim. There's a little vent on the dash trim to the bottom right of the steering wheel, I think I'll look into putting it behind there.
I will eventually get a backup camera to hook up to this stereo, but so far I love it. A volume dial, very simple design and feature set, Apple Carplay, and I think it looks great. BT works great so far. Speakers for the doors will be next.

Then I replaced the trim for the drivers door switches, It's nice having new trim there, I hadn't realized how nasty the old trim was.

I noticed some suspension and steering components that will need t be addressed sooner rather than later so they have been added to the list.

installed and routed the cable for my AP, drilled a hole and then snipped out some to make a little hole for the cable.

I think I saw someone here do this and really liked it, traced the outline of the original mat onto the A/W coasters and trim to fit.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So after replacing the window gussets I noticed I still had quite a bit of wind noise in the cabin, most of which seemed to be coming from the rear of the car, popped my rear hatch and sure enough the seal looks to be O.E. And was dry, flaccid and cracked all over the place.
ordered a replacement and got it installed, the hatch now shuts with more authority and the difference in cabin noise was HUGE.
Subaru p/n 63516SA000,
Hatch Seal
Weather Strip Tailgate (Rear Gate).

Unfortunately it looks like they switched the design or manufacturer at some point and you now have to trim to fit, there’s a gap in the metal strip that aligns perfectly with where I had to trim.

On the test drive I am still getting some noise from the rear area, the door seals are pretty flimsy on all 4 doors, so I’ll probably replace those soon. Sometimes I hate spending so much money on stuff that isn’t “fun” but the difference in cabin noise is great!

I noticed that these guys, and their partner on the hatch itself are also quite soft now. I’ll swap them out soon

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
replaced both O2 sensors the other day, very easy job even with how low my car is, will be easier once I get it up off the ground.

I’m pretty happy with the engine bay so far, there’s a few things I want to do but for

has anyone successfully mounted the fuel filter in the engine bay with the air pump in there?

Welp, I took a gamble hoping the wrx hazard button would be the same. Turns out it’s not.
I shouldn’t want one as much as I do, but I do....

So I ordered one for the foz, about double what I paid for the wrx one, oh well.

I need to get window seals next and then it will be suspension and tires

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
115 Posts
Nice choice in the stereo, that’s the one I got as well. I put my mic in the overhead console, got a newer one that fit and just ran the mic up there for a stock look, but having a sunroof might make that harder to find something compatible. Just a thought! Also now I want some of those coasters for the cup holders after seeing how clean they look

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice choice in the stereo, that’s the one I got as well. I put my mic in the overhead console, got a newer one that fit and just ran the mic up there for a stock look, but having a sunroof might make that harder to find something compatible. Just a thought! Also now I want some of those coasters for the cup holders after seeing how clean they look
thanks!
I got the coasters on eBay, I mangled the first go around unfortunately or I’d offer them to you. Give the bay a look though, cool little mod for sure 🤙

1 - 20 of 52 Posts