Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I just bought my first Subaru Forester and opted for the gold plus warranty. I’m now having second thoughts with the price being $2500 for 10yrs/100k/$0, and am thinking about cancelling it. I live in FL and was told that the state doesn’t let us purchase these from out of state dealers. Is that too high of a price? Are these warranties needed?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,259 Posts
Cancell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Planetsubaru.com

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
Hi guys! I just bought my first Subaru Forester and opted for the gold plus warranty. I’m now having second thoughts with the price being $2500 for 10yrs/100k/$0, and am thinking about cancelling it. I live in FL and was told that the state doesn’t let us purchase these from out of state dealers. Is that too high of a price? Are these warranties needed?
Keep it. You paid for it. You can transfer to new owner if not keeping car full term. These post warranty repairs can get costly. Search this site for more examples.

·
Registered
289 Posts
@Meghan270 -- I would conduct your own research into whether FL allows/disallows buying a Gold Plan from out of state -- instead of relying on what the salesman is telling you. You could even ask @securityguy who is a fellow Floridan and would likely know this answer.

If you want a comparison, I bought mine a few months after purchasing my car, and that plan's cost was $1,000 less than what you paid for that exact plan.

If you are able to buy this Gold Plan from out of state, Planet Subaru, I believe, is the new place to turn. There used to be a Subaru salesman from Connecticut who sold the plans dirt cheap, but, from what I understand, he is no longer associated with his dealership (He moved or something).

And, yes, having this Gold Plan -- I, personally, think -- is worth having, given the cost of part and electronics.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
@Meghan270 -- I would conduct your own research into whether FL allows/disallows buying a Gold Plan from out of state -- instead of relying on what the salesman is telling you. You could even ask @securityguy who is a fellow Floridan and would likely know this answer.

If you want a comparison, I bought mine a few months after purchasing my car, and that plan's cost was $1,000 less than what you paid for that exact plan.

If you are able to buy this Gold Plan from out of state, Planet Subaru, I believe, is the new place to turn. There used to be a Subaru salesman from Connecticut who sold the plans dirt cheap, but, from what I understand, he is no longer associated with his dealership (He moved or something).

And, yes, having this Gold Plan -- I, personally, think -- is worth having, given the cost of part and electronics.
So, buying later during the warranty is the route. Keep that in mind for the next time.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Are these warranties needed?
That's a personal decision you need to make based on your own situation.

Personally, I never buy extended warranties and never had an issue that would have exceeded the cost for one to make it worth my while. If something big did happen with say my wife's new Forester and it was out of warranty, I'd still come out ahead in my book because of all the money I saved not buying ext warranties through the years. It's really a gamble of sorts and IME / IMO, it's worth it (to me) not to buy one.

....but even so, some may take comfort in the fact that they can pay for one now, roll it into their car loan and not have to worry about coming up with the money if something does occur even if they are never able to recoup what they spent for it. It really depends on your own comfort level, experience, trust in the product, financial situation, how long you expect to keep the vehicle, resale value, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
That's a personal decision you need to make based on your own situation.

Personally, I never buy extended warranties and never had an issue that would have exceeded the cost for one to make it worth my while. If something big did happen with say my wife's new Forester and it was out of warranty, I'd still come out ahead in my book because of all the money I saved not buying ext warranties through the years. It's really a gamble of sorts and IME / IMO, it's worth it (to me) not to buy one.

....but even so, some may take comfort in the fact that they can pay for one now, roll it into their car loan and not have to worry about coming up with the money if something does occur even if they are never able to recoup what they spent for it. It really depends on your own comfort level, experience, trust in the product, financial situation, how long you expect to keep the vehicle, resale value, etc.
Yes I agree andthanks. I get it. Never been a fan with extended warranties as they are usually 3rd party. My first Sube. this gold plus is factory covered so I thought I’d give it a try. Plan on keeping vehicle for awhile.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,620 Posts
#1, Florida does NOT allow out of state purchases so we're stuck! #2, Planet Subaru, and most all other dealers across the US, can no longer sell warranties to out of state buyers. Subaru Corporate has cracked down dramatically since dealers were complaining they were losing a ton of revenue on warranties. Now, if you want one, you have to be willing to pony up the cash. However, with that being said, you can negotiate the price of the warranty (not in FL) in most states so don't take what the Finance Manager tells you at first blush. I just helped someone on this forum negotiate down a 8 year/120K mile $0 deductible from over $3200 to close to $2400 which is only a few hundred above cost. There is a HUGE markup on warranties, tint, fabric protection, wheel protection, etc. I highly suggest to anyone buying a car, do NOT let them suck you in to these extras. IMPO, if you are going yo keep it for a while, make the investment in a GOLD PLUS...stay AWAY from 3rd party warranties!!! The electronics alone in cars today will bankrupt you if anything goes south. Get your warranty and get the he** out of there:)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yes I agree andthanks. I get it. Never been a fan with extended warranties as they are usually 3rd party. My first Sube. this gold plus is factory covered so I thought I’d give it a try. Plan on keeping vehicle for awhile.
Never been a fan either but for the reasons I mentioned. It really all boils down to whatever you feel most comfortable with. Just don't let anyone try to talk you into or out of one for that matter. It's not that easy IMO / IME. You're the only one who knows your own situation and how you feel about it. I can make a list of reasons why you should get one and a list of reasons just as valid as to why you shouldn't.

Weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself. ......which it appears you have.

Congrats on the car btw.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
Never been a fan either but for the reasons I mentioned. It really all boils down to whatever you feel most comfortable with. Just don't let anyone try to talk you into or out of one for that matter. It's not that easy IMO / IME. You're the only one who knows your own situation and how you feel about it. I can make a list of reasons why you should get one and a list of reasons just as valid as to why you shouldn't.

Weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself. ......which it appears you have.

Congrats on the car btw.
Thanks I love it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Thanks I love it.
We settled on the Premium trim with the convenience package, option 15(?) and crossbars. The extras were worth the extra money IMO and added the cross traffic alert, blind spot detection, lane change assist, keyless access and push button start, power rear gate, auto dimming side mirror with puddle lights, homelink mirror, heated seats, etc.

Her '08 Premium included fogs but this one didn't. Easy enough to install though so I am going to order and put them in. I have to tell you though..... While we were waiting for the internet sales mgr my wife fell in love with the leather trim, etc. in the Touring on the showroom floor. I thought I was going to have to tell the salesman that we changed our mind. ;)

.....but she loves her Premium and felt it was the best value for what she wanted in this car. If I'm going to be honest, if it were my car, I might have gone with the Touring too.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
We settled on the Premium trim with the convenience package, option 15(?) and crossbars. The extras were worth the extra money IMO and added the cross traffic alert, blind spot detection, lane change assist, keyless access and push button start, power rear gate, auto dimming side mirror with puddle lights, homelink mirror, heated seats, etc.

Her '08 Premium included fogs but this one didn't. Easy enough to install though so I am going to order and put them in. I have to tell you though..... While we were waiting for the internet sales mgr my wife fell in love with the leather trim, etc. in the Touring on the showroom floor. I thought I was going to have to tell the salesman that we changed our mind. ;)

.....but she loves her Premium and felt it was the best value for what she wanted in this car. If I'm going to be honest, if it were my car, I might have gone with the Touring too.
All the safety features you mentioned and the adaptive cruise control set this brand apart. The touring interior (mine is brown) really took me over. Test driving it really sold me. I’ve had many vehicles ( 3 grand Cherokee’s and an Explorer all with V8s) and I’ve gotten used to the leather in those past 4 back to 1993. Wanted to move into a crossover SUV and this is it. So it’s a 4 banger now and that’s ok. Some of the comments I’ve read, Road, Wind noise, engine noise, cabin noise, etc I’ve yet to notice. It’s so smooth. On the highway and around town, which is most of my drive. Ave 24.5 mpg w about 2300 miles w a few longer trips. Had to spend a buck and get the plug and play auto stop fix. That was getting old quickly. No complaints really and so far the safety feature of dropping audio in reverse is the only minor annoyance. It has an HD radio and it does the same static mimic when secondary channels drop. That’s ok w me as it doesn’t happen often and better than having to look at the panel. Now I just punch the vol to mute when backing. You’re right, matter of preference.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
All the safety features you mentioned and the adaptive cruise control set this brand apart.
Yeah, I haven't had the chance to try it yet in her new car but I really wish her old one had it for our 120mi round trip commutes we used to make in it before I retired.

The touring interior (mine is brown) really took me over. Test driving it really sold me. I’ve had many vehicles ( 3 grand Cherokee’s and an Explorer all with V8s) and I’ve gotten used to the leather in those past 4 back to 1993. Wanted to move into a crossover SUV and this is it. So it’s a 4 banger now and that’s ok.
Yeah, that's the color we saw in the showroom. Her interior is pretty smart looking but that one was a gorgeous interior. I like leather too and have it in my Challenger R/T. Hard to go back to cloth for me but she's fine with it. IMO, it's easier to clean and maintain leather.

Some of the comments I’ve read, Road, Wind noise, engine noise, cabin noise, etc I’ve yet to notice. It’s so smooth. On the highway and around town, which is most of my drive. Ave 24.5 mpg w about 2300 miles w a few longer trips. Had to spend a buck and get the plug and play auto stop fix. That was getting old quickly. No complaints really and so far the safety feature of dropping audio in reverse is the only minor annoyance. It has an HD radio and it does the same static mimic when secondary channels drop. That’s ok w me as it doesn’t happen often and better than having to look at the panel. Now I just punch the vol to mute when backing. You’re right, matter of preference.
Yeah, I don't get it either but I guess it's a lot about expectations. IMO, her Forester is quiet, smooth and quite comfortable. We were blown away with just how much more space has been added since her generation. Ease of access, etc. (I have a bad lower back and related bum leg that's caught up to me). Everytime she drives somewhere she keeps making the comment about how it just "glides".

Yeah, I saw a company that makes a plug and play solution for the start/stop. No hacking of wires and relatively easy to remove if needed. Cost $100 bucks but I'm not so sure I want to install it while the car is under warranty. We'll see..... I wish I could remember the product I saw. You could still use the button to turn it off or on but the module would remember the setting so you wouldn't have to keep pushing it each time you start the car.

In either case, this isn't something exactly unique to Subaru as you can see with a simple search and all the hacks people post to permanently disable them.

We almost exclusively listen to music via our Google Play Music subscription so the Android Auto really comes in handy.

Glad you're liking yours too.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had the chance to try it yet in her new car but I really wish her old one had it for our 120mi round trip commutes we used to make in it before I retired.

Yeah, that's the color we saw in the showroom. Her interior is pretty smart looking but that one was a gorgeous interior.

Yeah, I don't get it either but I guess it's a lot about expectations. IMO, her Forester is quiet, smooth and quite comfortable. We were blown aways just how much more space has been added since her generation. Ease of access, etc. (I have a bad lower back and related bum leg that's caught up to me).

Yeah, I saw a company that makes a plug and play solution for the start/stop. No hacking of wires and relatively easy to remove if needed. Cost $100 bucks but I'm not so sure I want to install it while the car is under warranty. We'll see..... I wish I could remember the product I saw. You could still use the button to turn it off or on but the module would remember the setting so you wouldn't have to keep pushing it each time you start the car.

In either case, this isn't something exactly unique to Subaru as you can see with a simple search and all the hacks people post to permanently disable them.

We almost exclusively listen to music via our Google Play Music subscription so the Android Auto really comes in handy.

Glad you're liking yours too.
No that fuel economy stop thing is on a lot of vehicles. A friend complained with his Jeep but I didn’t realize until I had it. The product is

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts
No that fuel economy stop thing is on a lot of vehicles. A friend complained with his Jeep but I didn’t realize until I had it. The product is
Right. that fuel economy stop thing is on a lot of vehicles. A friend complained with his Jeep but I didn’t realize until I had it. The product is
No that fuel economy stop thing is on a lot of vehicles. A friend complained with his Jeep but I didn’t realize until I had it. Autostop Eliminator - The only no-compromise solution!
Good to year on the android. CarPlay is working fine. The STARLINK app likes to take over my iPhone. Launches when I plug in a charge cord.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring.
15 Posts

Sorry about the triple posts. Lol.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
No worries. That was the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
That description above is wrong. This plugs into the ECM connector under driver seat then the factory connector plugs into it. All good and simple.
Yeah, saw the video that showed it. Really simple. Thanks again and have a good one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts