Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have some questions. I plan to go vf48 early spring and want to have my bases covered.

My question is what should I buy or replace while I'm doing this?

Here is my parts list that needs to be installed still for reference:

Perrin up pipe with new gaskets
Vf48 with 60k miles
Mishimoto y pipe hose kit
Dw850 cc side feed injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Gs ebcs
Wideband

Parts already installed:

Catless dp and 3 inch catback
06 wrx tmic
Hks bov

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Yup. You should trade the injectors, BOV and y-pipe for a better intercooler.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
Yep, no need for fancy BOV. Get your hands on an 06-08 xt BPV and STi TMIC. Injectors aren't absolutely required either, YMMV. I'm on stock injectors and whooping evo x's with moderate bolt-ons. You will def need the mishimoto hose kit to use with the STi TMIC so keep that on the list.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Why does he need the mishimoto hose kit? The hard pipe and red elbow that come with the STI work just fine...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
Didn't work with mine, worked on 3 cars total and we all needed it. Maybe you know something I don't.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
I had the sti IC with one piece y pipe and red elbow. I used it with both the tdo4 and the vf43. I've never heard of anyone needing that mishimoto kit. Not saying you didn't need it, but I never even knew it existed until I bought one of their radiators a couple months ago. I do know Subaru made a 2 piece y pipe at one point. Maybe that one didn't fit right? Weird.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just can't justify the pricing on an sti tmic. I can come close to an Fmic kit for that.

What do you guys think about an eBay tmic? Like a cx racing.

Also I was told a wrx tmic would do fine. And injectors were recommended too.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
I don't know where you're getting your info. But read the stickies in this forum. I got a used sti tmic with all the stuff for 250. Cheaping out on the intercooler and then spending it on injectors is a waste of money. The WRX is much smaller. You aren't going to have as easy an install with a front mount, getting behind the bumper and all the mounting issues involved. Your turbo isn't big enough to "need" injectors. You'll run it at a lower IDC, but the stockers can handle it unless your tuner is chasing the last 5 hp you can possibly get and running it on the ragged edge. Whatever fuel supply headroom you may gain by using larger injectors will be lost on your inefficient charge cooling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
My opinion for what it is worth.

I have ran a VF48 for over 5 years with 0 issues. Get rid of the injectors, bov and y pipe and buy a STI tmic and STI BPV. If you can not justify $200-300 for the tmic then do not do the upgrades. These parts were designed to work together. There is a reason CXracinig is on ebay... And there is not easy solution for a FMIC for the FXT either.

What tune are you going with?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
319 Posts
I had the sti IC with one piece y pipe and red elbow. I used it with both the tdo4 and the vf43. I've never heard of anyone needing that mishimoto kit. Not saying you didn't need it, but I never even knew it existed until I bought one of their radiators a couple months ago. I do know Subaru made a 2 piece y pipe at one point. Maybe that one didn't fit right? Weird.
I bought an '05 STi tmic that came with the red elbow, the elbow didn't quite reach enough to stay clamped in place, ended up needing a different elbow that was just slightly longer so it wouldn't slip off... If I were doing it again, I'd say it's good insurance to have a longer elbow handy during the install just in case considering they are pretty cheap.

As other have said - ditch the wrx intercooler, bov and injectors and get an STi intercooler and bpv.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
'06 WRX TMIC is pretty much same as the stock XT unit, no good tuner will tell you it is a good idea to use it with a VF48. As far as the Ebay top mounts go -- there is a thread on I think Nasioc with a good comparison of one (Godspeed?) to the atock STi unit. Result was the STi TMIC worked better. Most tuners will tell you they are great and aren't worth changing unless you are going to something like the TurboXS, APS which cost closer to a grand.

What you need to do is find a tuner who will be tuning your car and ask their advice.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Larger injectors are nice, but do you really need them? For VF48 on pump gas, IMO you really don't. For E85 tune you would need them. Stock injectors will flow plenty, stock BPV, boost controller and fuel pump will all work great too. The very minimum you need for a VF swap is STi TMIC and in case of '04-'05 XT the STi BPV and hose.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well from research and my tuner I was told a better boost controller so I bought the gs ebcs. And at least a Walbro 255. So I got that.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
I am on the fence about this upgrade but my td04 start eating oil a bit. I like TD04 Turbo Diesel like powerband. I got most of the part already.

Talk to a few tuner and some recommend turbo inlet hose just for the sake of reliability. Post MAF when they leak would cause lean condition and that is very dangerous for forced induction. I am really hesitant to do this because the install are really a big pain from what I hear. They recommend hard pipe, Tomei or Perrin.

Most recommend one step colder spark plug also. I have slight concern because I drive short distance and the spark plug might not reach its optimum temp.

If I am going to proceed with this modification I am going with e-tune. I am somewhat familiar with the tuning process. I saw how a few people tune and some are actually just pretend like they know everything. I read on e-tuning guide by phatbhotti and that guide actually give pretty good explanation on some concern I have. He is on the expensive side of E-Tune but so far he is the one I really trust because his documentation on tuning seem to fit with the way I want my tune to achieve.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Keep the stock range plugs, there are 400+ whp Subarus running stock plugs.

Boost controller depends on the tuner. 3-port will give a tuner more granularity but really isn't needed for your simple setup. Some would prefer the stock controller. Stock pump is also perfectly fine but so is the Walbro. If this is the same tuner that told you it's okay to use your exsisting IC, I would reconsider using him.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So does anybody know if these are the 565 cc already in an 04 fxt? If so I'll probably leave them alone.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
IIRC the stock injectors are the exact same in the FXT as STI so you have more then enough fuel using them with a VF48. We have been running the following for 5+ years

2007 FSXT
vf48
sti tmic
3" turbo back exhaust
73mm intake
silicone inlet
walbro pump
accessport dyno tune.

That's the basic set up, and the car went a best of [email protected] so its plenty quick for a VF car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts