Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm home visiting the parents, and they mentioned problems with the radio display in their Honda Accord (a known problem, just out of warranty). A quick search revealed that most dealerships want $900 for a new radio. I said, "That's an easy fix. Buy a new HU for $100 and I'll install it tomorrow." NOT SO FAST. Honda has a custom display molded to the console (read: not modular) that cannot just be swapped out for a single or double din radio. You can add an aftermarket HU and install it down by the shifter, but that doesn't fix the blown out display that also has the clock and climate control info on the screen. BOO HONDA.

:mob:​

I searched some Honda forums for an easier fix (circuit board replacement?), and after much effort found a how-to for taking the radio apart and replacing a resistor on the circuit board. Needless to say, the pics on the post were from a cell phone and the write-up lacking the detail I have become accustomed to on SF.org. The replies were also generally unhelpful. It also took me forever to find a post with photos detailing the removal of the stereo, which even then wasn't that great.

My point(s): We have a great thing going here. Great write-ups from members with good pictures, helpful feedback, and excellent detail covering most years and trim lines. Thank you to all that take the time to document their mods and share their experience. Also, kudos to Subaru for giving us the ability to easily install an aftermarket HU if the stocker isn't to our liking, or wears out after *gasp* 7 years.

Sorry about the rant. Wish me luck as I attempt to solder a new resistor on this board tomorrow (labeled R797 in photo below). Sirius install to follow (guess what...no Aux input on the Honda radio!).

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Yes, this is a great forum, or at least it was until I got here and as Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member," lol.

Seriously though, I think part of the problem you are experiencing with the Honda forum may have to do with what I refer to as Twitters. By that I mean younger folks who seem to be as concerned about post whoring, being contradictory or playing keyboard cowboy as they are with being helpful.

In contrast, the Subaru Forester crowd around here seems to be a well balanced group of older members mixed with enough young blood to keep things interesting without turning into a testosterone fueled free for all which there are plenty enough of on the Web already as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to the owners here for creating and maintaining a forum that is not only informative, but interesting as well and now all they have to do is figure out a way to keep out more of the undesirable element like me. :biggrin:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Agreed. I've been surfing Toyta Nation and other places for the Matrix and dammmn SF.ORG blows everything away in terms of technical knowledge, write-ups, and general intelligence level of the community. Back in my Honda days, they were just like the Toyota boards... and the current GSX-R boards. DSM boards are a bit better but there are too many asshats... just like Nasioc. :lol:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Yes, this is a great forum, or at least it was until I got here and as Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member," lol.

Seriously though, I think part of the problem you are experiencing with the Honda forum may have to do with what I refer to as Twitters. By that I mean younger folks who seem to be as concerned about post whoring, being contradictory or playing keyboard cowboy as they are with being helpful.

In contrast, the Subaru Forester crowd around here seems to be a well balanced group of older members mixed with enough young blood to keep things interesting without turning into a testosterone fueled free for all which there are plenty enough of on the Web already as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to the owners here for creating and maintaining a forum that is not only informative, but interesting as well and now all they have to do is figure out a way to keep out more of the undesirable element like me. :biggrin:
^

So true. :lol:

<<< Young blood. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
SR20Forum and several nissan forums have awesome tech info. Good thing about the sr's are they have been out for a long time so they have been well gone thru.

SF is good and getting better by the day. Members continue to find out new things and ways to do things which is awesome. Im glad that everything is not known yet.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
^

So true. :lol:

<<< Young blood. :biggrin:
Dirt was new and rocks were a secret weapon when I was born, lol.

I'm not really very old, I've just been ridden hard and put away wet with very high mileage but even though I'm older and a bit wiser for the wear, I still tend to cause more trouble than I'm worth every now and then, albeit with good intentions, lol.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Alot of us here are tinkerers. We'd rather attack a problem on our own then take the car in and spend the money on someone else doing it. Alot of it is not even because of cost, we just like working on our own cars. Subarus are awesome because they allow the owner to understand the technology and work on the car.

This forum is awesome and the community is great. The closest online community to this one that I've experienced is the aircooled VW community.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts