Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am aware this might be a dim 'girl' question but...:icon_redface:

I just bought a 2003 Forester, 47000 miles on the clock (from one v. careful owner). Is there anything I particularly need to check or change, for example the timing belt?

Would really appreciate some advice :icon_biggrin:

Thanks,
Bella.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,724 Posts
Timing belt is at 105K miles. The spark plugs should have been changed at 30K mile, but most find they're good for many more miles. If you have them changed, go with iridium spark plugs. They'll last twice as long. If you don't have the service history, I'd have the coolant, transmission ATF, plus the front & rear differential serviced (oil/fluid changed). I just had my '03 X in for the above services & had the brake fluid replaced as well. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Good advice above.
Make sure to add Subaru coolant conditioner to the cooling system.
Helps prevent dreaded HG leak.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
All good suggestions, I would also add have a look at the brake pads, the fronts in particular. They should be fine but depending on the type of driving they may need attention. At the very least I'd suggest flushing / bleeding the brake fluid.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
I would not wait the 105 to do the timing belt. Maybe 60-70K since aging affects it too.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
And for the record, I consider it a regular question VS a Girlie one. A girlie one would be something like "Which shoes look better these or these" or "Does my butt look big in this dress?" To which every married man must master the art of answering with the proper amount of timing. Not too long and not too short, but just right. I've been married 20+ years and as soon as I figure that out I promise to pass it on.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! :icon_biggrin: Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Perhaps now the local mechanic might not sigh and wander away shaking his head the next time I appear at his garage door. I'm hoping the Subaru is a tougher beast and will be relatively stress free.

And Peaty, I would suggest that the safest response to any appearance-based question (apart from feigned sudden deafness and quickly scuttling out to 'wash the car') would be "Honey, you are gorgeous. You are always gorgeous to me, even when you have the PMS crazies...PUT THE FRY PAN DOWN DEAR...!"

For my part, I appreciate any tips any of you have for what to watch out for car-wise, and I promise to limit the "But it has big wheels and it's RED!!" girly moments.

Thanks again!
Bella.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Lucky for me I wear hearing aids in both ears so I can pretend to not hear and get away with it :)

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Lol, this makes me think of how my lady came upon buying a Legacy, she bought it because it had sunroof...seriously, there was no other reason, oh and maybe because it was white too lol.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
107 Posts
I would not wait the 105 to do the timing belt. Maybe 60-70K since aging affects it too.
The maintenance schedule is 105k miles, but also includes a calendar change at 105 months which is just short of 9 years. You may just wish to get it done now, especially if you are unsure if the previous owner changed the coolant (and therefore want to change the water pump with the belt). I'd also have them at least inspect the rest of the belts.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you :icon_biggrin:

will definately follow all your advice.

PS. I loved the sunroof and the colour, but I really wanted was the "tank-like" nature of it :icon_wink: Went off-road in it for the first time today to avoid a cement truck. Woo hoo!

Okay - another girly question, and it's embarrassing cos it might generate replies like "Have you put the key in the ignition? Duh."

In order to turn the car on, I have to push the button on the key to lock then unlock the car then turn the key in the ignition and depress the clutch.

Obviously if I've just unlocked the car, it starts straight away, but if I unlock the car then put the dogs in the back THEN put the key in the ignition, it doesn't start, and I have to lock/unlock again.

Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Am I just being dim (wouldn't rule it out) or is this a bit odd?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts