Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Since shortly after getting my 2019 Sport I have been getting a "Software download failed..." message popup on my infotainment screen. I think it only happens when I am in my driveway and the vehicle is connected to my wifi. I have checked through the system to make sure it is all up to date and it appears to be. I set the system recently to auto-download updates to see if that helps, but it did not. I cannot find anything in the manual. Nothing indicates what software it is referring to. Any ideas or help?

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
167 Posts
No idea what might be causing this but something to try might be to turn off the wi-fi connection and see if it helps. Unless Subaru enables wi-fi downloads I am not sure if there is a use for this connection.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
WiFi is not available from Subaru yet. Maybe in the future. You can update maps at Subaru-maps.com. You download to a usb drive then install in the car. Infotainment updates are done by the dealer, if out of date.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
I wouldn't trust wifi for updates like this. I'd suggest turning that off and going to https://www.mysubaru.com/login.html and download updates onto a usb flash drive then install them.
There have been way too many bricked Outback head units over @ SubaruOutback.org. I'd suggest proceeding with caution. I've stopped upgrading unless there is reason to do so. If you want to update I'd wait a week to see if there are issues with that new update.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update...after turning off all the automatic updates/downloads, I am still getting the message. Wierd. If I had to guess, I would bet it is trying to update a StarLink app

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
Go through page 69 on in the StarLink Multimedia Manual to ensure you aren't linked to a Wi-Fi network. If you are, "Forget" that network.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
156 Posts
Maybe your wifi signal is too weak. Don't know where the wifi antenna is but it doesn't get as good of a signal as my phone.
I was able to update my maps but only get a good enough signal when I'm parked in our driveway.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
I wouldn't trust wifi for updates like this. I'd suggest turning that off and going to https://www.mysubaru.com/login.html and download updates onto a usb flash drive then install them.
There have been way too many bricked Outback head units over @ SubaruOutback.org. I'd suggest proceeding with caution. I've stopped upgrading unless there is reason to do so. If you want to update I'd wait a week to see if there are issues with that new update.
Where are you finding updates on the site? I’m looking everywhere and under every heading. I don’t see an option for updates or to download.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  • Maybe your wifi signal is too weak. Don't know where the wifi antenna is but it doesn't get as good of a signal as my phone.
    I was able to update my maps but only get a good enough signal when I'm parked in our driveway.
    WiFi is great where I’ve been getting the alerts. It's really strange. Happened again this morning.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
167 Posts

• WiFi is great where I’ve been getting the alerts. It's really strange. Happened again this morning.
Two thoughts, if Wi-Fi is on for connecting to you home Wi-Fi turn it off. Subaru does not support over the air updates to the Forester at this time. Second idea is do you run the Aha App on your phone? This app (at least for the NAV units) has the ability to do software updates to the head unit. There may be a process running that is attempting to do an update if it connects to the Aha app. If you loaded this app but do not use it maybe remove the app from your phone. Hopefully one of these will reveal what is going on.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did have it connecting to the home WiFi and have now disabled it. I do not have a NAV unit but download aha at one time but have since deleted it quite a few while ago. I’ll see how it acts with WiFi disabled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts