Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Getting Rid of the Forester

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Bobiam 
#1 ·
In 2012. :icon_biggrin:

I think I'll run it right up to the point it needs the timing belt. And the odds are higher that it could need a HG also. Might just be the time to get rid of it and again have a warranty. I will be 66 then and it would be the last car I have. I would also probably get rid and not replace the 01 Sentra which now has 110K miles but those engines last forever. Alternately I suppose I could just replace the Sentra.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. :D

I'll think about it next year. :D

#3 ·
Now listen here gramps...last car ? What kind of talk is that...I plan to be buried in whatever car I'm driving when I finally give up the ghost..so you should always drive what you want...till the bitter end.

Now we'll have no more of that fatalistic mumbo jumbo here !

#6 ·
Yea..I hope I have many left. But honestly I hate driving and really want to be in a position where I really don't have to. Through the years have b1tched at old peeps drive and I have to now be honest and consistent.

I am still a safe driver but as you get older your "Scanning Rate" (ability to processes instantaneous information.) drops off I see that. Oddly enough my reaction times are still the equal of a 20 year old but the "Scanning Rate" thing is there. And I have a lazy eye which translates into no depth perception.

Its hellto get old. Wife drives very well. But she just can't do trip driving.

#7 ·
... I hate driving and really want to be in a position where I really don't have to... "Scanning Rate" (ability to processes instantaneous information.) drops off I see that... And I have a lazy eye which translates into no depth perception...
I'm about five years older, also with lazy eye (strabismus, alternating esotropia,). But I don't notice it and have motorcycled and driven since 1958 without an accident. I love driving in a good car, and will be ready for another Forester in about ten years.
But when you feel your limits, it's good to cut back. I cut back on the riding because of traffic and fear of distracted drivers. The speed and density of traffic today has sure increased the required "scanning rate".

#8 ·
I guess its planning ahead but perhaps you should leave a little wiggle room :)

Anyway you keep nice care of your vehicle (from post about spark plugs etc) so I may be in the market of a new - to me forester in 2012!

#9 ·
I think folks are confusing chronological age and functional age. Just because one is chronologically old doesn't automatically make them a functionally bad driver. Just because one is chronologically young doesn't automatically make them a functionally good driver.

Unless one lives somewhere that there is a crazy good public transportation system, it's a mistake to quite driving at age 66 unless health issues force the decision. They will become a prisoner in their own home.

#11 ·
Well..... adc I'm 63

and am also adjusting the use of our vehicles so hopefully they'll last and my wife and I will be free of car payments forever in our later years. With cars as expensive as they are now and will no doubt get even more expensive as time goes by it's just good planning as I see it. I just put my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L turbo diesel in the shed till Spring to keep it free from road salt and also to save about 4 months of taxes and insurance costs. This is the car we'll use as our RV tow vehicle when heading south for the winter next year. Our single primary winter car now becomes a 2007 Forester. Both cars have 25,000 miles on them. Well, that's my old geezer plan but I know for a poor outcome nothing will succeed like a poor plan or worse yet no plan at all! adc these young guys will come along in time, right now they got other things on their mind and rightfully so. Good luck......because everyday that goes by we need more of it. ;)

#12 ·
Not a bad decision, if you buy a new Forester in 2012. Then if you keep it for 15 yrs you will be 81 at that time. But it sounds like you'll need another car afterall at that time. If you really don't need the Sentra in 2012, sell it and don't replace it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.