Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local, finally after a couple years of no local subie center one opened up, but anyway I decided to get the gaskets there and they had them in stock, ominous sign not doubt. But they don't look particularly impressive so I was hoping you guys could double check the part number for what I was sold so I can be sure to only do this job once.

This is on an 03 2.5 both heads are now leaking coolant slowly from the bottom or top or everywhere but it is collected at the bottom and seems to be leaking from there more than anywhere else. It is also now a grayish putty like color and cosistency. So part number for the replacement gasket is 11044AA633 and it is says this is an interchange for 11044AA630. These gaskets look no better than the felpros at autozone and at $40 a pop I need some assurance these will solve my problems or at least be worth the extra cash. I intended to buy the felpro head set but now I am not sure what I should do, so anyone with some experience or know how with an 03 or similar engine please chime in, thanks a lot guys.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
For the number of HG I have done, personally it has less to do with the gasket and more to do with the procedure, cleanliness, prep, and not taking short cuts. I have had equal success using the 633 part number(single layer), as the turbo 770 MLS gaskets, Cometic and some MLS gaskets that came in some OEM overhaul kits. None have come back.

Never used the Felpro HGs, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out they were just repackaged OEM.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
For the number of HG I have done, personally it has less to do with the gasket and more to do with the procedure, cleanliness, prep, and not taking short cuts. I have had equal success using the 633 part number(single layer), as the turbo 770 MLS gaskets, Cometic and some MLS gaskets that came in some OEM overhaul kits. None have come back.

Never used the Felpro HGs, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out they were just repackaged OEM.
I work at Autozone and we sell Felpro, most of their gaskets are not repackaged, but sometimes non-regular stock are repackaged (like many of the parts there). I have never had a bad Felpro gasket come back yet at least.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking of going with the felpro kit as well, I have used them before on chevy v8s without issues, and the kit is $161 on rock auto so i am confident autozone will comp that price and they can get it in a day. So $87 for head gaskets or $160 for all the gaskets to the upper engine. Any input for timing kits?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts