Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Thanks Roo! I have a 2.5l engine out of a '97 Leg.GT coming here in a week or so for the Impreza. Planning on some intake and exhaust mods to round out the fun ;)

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
899 Posts
nasioc actually contributes something besides sarcastic kids! I was wanting a little more power out of my 4eat 98Super and I dont want to spend more then 500 on it... so this gives me options. I have swap plans and dont want to screw that up.. LOL

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.0 N/A
73 Posts
Throttle body Spacer

Hi
I post some pic of the Throttle body spacer I have installed a month ago on my Fozie MY 2003 X. After this time of use on and off road I can confirm better performance in low/medium RPMs during acceleration with higher gears (e.g. 4th or 5th). Additionally the car easily starts and "takes off" on the second gear instead of the first. So it is easy to run the car more economically than before (higher gears selection) and this results in +50 km per tank in mix routes (rural and highway). The only short coming is that there is only one company that makes it called Group A in Ontario Canada. The good part is that they are very helpful and responsive.

Regards
Dennis

src="http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1385/796e0001fb3.th.jpg" alt="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" border="0"/></a>

src="http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7777/796e0002hc7.th.jpg" alt="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" border="0"/></a>

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
304 Posts
Here's a "white paper" written over at NABISCO:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022154

Pretty thorough.
Good stuff! I still have questions it doesn't answer.

Is there a solution to do our own reflashes, stock ECU (no piggyback)? For turbo owners, with an ODBII cable, some test equipment (wide band 02 sensor, EGT, etc.), and Openecu or similar software you can do your own tuning. None of the software I've looked at seems to support the N/A motors though.

The thread mentioned the I-speedusa solution, but that's "open loop" (they don't test it on your car). I'd rather not have my car down while I send off my ECU (I guess I could have a spare), I'd rather pay less (especially since I don't expect big gains), and I'd rather have a solution that gets tested on my car. Also it would be cool to be able to change easily. For example switch between a "premium fuel" map and a regular one. Just talking about being able to download maps from my PC, not talking about switching maps with an electrical switch like you can with some of the other EM solutions.

CAI results specifically for MAP Subarus? I've read a few claims that CAIs don't help N/A Subarus, but true or not, I think they were talking about MAF specific stuff. Haven't found anything specific about CAIs and MAP Subarus (like my 'O3). Most of the discussions don't distinguish, but I suspect there's a difference.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,760 Posts
Good stuff! I still have questions it doesn't answer.

Is there a solution to do our own reflashes, stock ECU (no piggyback)? For turbo owners, with an ODBII cable, some test equipment (wide band 02 sensor, EGT, etc.), and Openecu or similar software you can do your own tuning. None of the software I've looked at seems to support the N/A motors though.

The thread mentioned the I-speedusa solution, but that's "open loop" (they don't test it on your car). I'd rather not have my car down while I send off my ECU (I guess I could have a spare), I'd rather pay less (especially since I don't expect big gains), and I'd rather have a solution that gets tested on my car. Also it would be cool to be able to change easily. For example switch between a "premium fuel" map and a regular one. Just talking about being able to download maps from my PC, not talking about switching maps with an electrical switch like you can with some of the other EM solutions.

CAI results specifically for MAP Subarus? I've read a few claims that CAIs don't help N/A Subarus, but true or not, I think they were talking about MAF specific stuff. Haven't found anything specific about CAIs and MAP Subarus (like my 'O3). Most of the discussions don't distinguish, but I suspect there's a difference.
for the ecu a pp6 is the best we can get for a N/A http://www.rallitek.com/rapeecu.html

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
228 Posts
My only questions are....

1. Does anybody make a TB spacer for a MY 1998 Forester with a MAF?

2. What 2nd hand intakes fit a MY 1998 with a MAF?

3. Are there exhausts from other chassis's that are a direct bolt on to the Forester?

Nick.

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
6,121 Posts
Hey! Hope things work out in your pursuit of power!
#1... Read here about the TB spacer: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16369&highlight=throttle+body+spacer

#2...Hopefully people will back me up on this one, but I think the older GC chassis Impreza 2.5RS intake. I can't remember which years had MAP, and MAF.

#3...Another thing that could come from an older GC chassis Impreza. I believe the 2.5RS OEM would be an upgrade for you. Also note that these Impreza exhausts will be a few inches shorter. I for example have an Impreza STI exhaust and it overlaps just a bit right where the bumper molding begins under the car.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
228 Posts
Hey! Hope things work out in your pursuit of power!
#1... Read here about the TB spacer: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16369&highlight=throttle+body+spacer

#2...Hopefully people will back me up on this one, but I think the older GC chassis Impreza 2.5RS intake. I can't remember which years had MAP, and MAF.

#3...Another thing that could come from an older GC chassis Impreza. I believe the 2.5RS OEM would be an upgrade for you. Also note that these Impreza exhausts will be a few inches shorter. I for example have an Impreza STI exhaust and it overlaps just a bit right where the bumper molding begins under the car.
Well I've got a decent start, nothing crazy but some Phenolic 8mm intake manifold spacers will help me out in the persuit of Fuel economy + power, ultimately that's my goal for a Daily driver.

I've done alot of research on the TB/spacer but it does not seem to specify if it works with a 98 which has a MAF, Now that I think of it I'd have to assume that any chassis from 96-98 with a 2.5 would deffinetly work as they were the DOHC 2.5's opposed to the revised SOHC found from 99-02(_?_).

So the GC chassis is basically anything from 1993-2001 correct? So pretty much any mid pipe/axle back combo will need a little "tweaking" at the muff shop then? I figured as much as I know the Forester is an overstretched Legacy with some Tuff body lines. So basically any Intake from a OBD-IIa chassis will work and pretty much any exhaust will need some customizing to work.

Thank you very much for the heads up :rock:

Nick.

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
6,121 Posts
GC is the 1993-2001 Impreza. Everything for the exhaust will bolt up, just the factor that it will end about 2 inches shorter. Some people don't care (like me!) you could have a tip welded on, FWIW you could probably buy a tip that uses bolts to tighten on. Also I'm not sure, but you may need extended hangers for the muffler section. The 2 right behind the bumper.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts