Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I Had the fortune of picking up an old MY98 Forester L the other week (my first Subaru). Having some CEL problems though, and was looking for a reader/USB interface to pull the codes.

It turns out that its a pre OBDII car, it has the OBDII connector, but it is wired with pins 12+13 for SSM. Though it does still seem to have the something wired up to pin 7 (normally the OBDII K-Line i think).

At the moment, I'm not too in need of getting data logging going (though it would be nice in the future), I just need to figure out whats its complaining about. The dealer we picked it up through has been less than reliable so far.

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the best way to get the codes out? I don't mind building an SSM wired interface if need be...

I found Select Monitor on vwrx.com, but it seemed more geared towards real time timing information/etc...

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
98 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks. Ill try and see if I can borrow one to try. I'd just been reading somewhere else that they switched mid '98... and someone with the same wiring setup as mine had no joy with ODB...

cheers
t

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
if it was built for the US market then all foresters are OBDII no matter what, it seems that MY98 had to be OBDII in canada so it should be OBDII

·
Registered
98 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, sounds good. Thanks for the clarifications folks. Wanted to check before I spent the cash...

much appreciated

:)

·
Registered
98 Forester L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Managed to borrow an ELM327 reader off a friend - managed to get the basics to work eventually - seems like it only supports a minimal set of realtime data, but the CIL codes come out a.o.k.

Thanks again
t

1 - 6 of 6 Posts