Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought a 2004 2.5 XT Forester with 43K miles on it. I do mostly city driving, short distance. Dealer told me to put premium as it is a turbo. I am shocked with the mileage I am getting from it - 12 mpg with premium!! I am from NYC area. There must be something wrong. Also, sometimes I am getting raw gas smell, even from the cabin inside. I am not a car savvy. If I take it to the dealer, I am sure, I'll not fully understand what they are talking about. Any suggestion will be really helpful.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
its prety simple you have a gas leak, you are most likely getting normal MPG's just losing so much gas it seems that you are getting really bad mileage, and not to be mean but most dealerships can dumb things done pretty good, where did you get the car? the dealership?

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
I have a 2005 2.0XT PPP that runs only on 97-99 octane fuel and driving around town I get around 14mpg and on a run 20ish.
Over here in the United Kingdom we have a minimum of 95 octane fuel but the Subaru especially with the Prodrive mods run properly on a minimum of 97.
I get 230ish miles out of a tank of fuel (until red light) and it costs approx £70 UK to fill the tank.
And you guys think your fuel is expensive:biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
12 is a bit low for an XT. If you can smell raw gas, then there's a leak or something going on. I would take it to the dealer and describe the symptoms you told us.

Just to let you know, you NEED to run Premium on the XT, it's required. Also, I average about 17-19 mpg city, and that's with me driving rather briskly. If I just putted around town (which my mind just can't handle), I would easily manage 20-22 mpg.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT
1 Posts
I certainly hope everyone is right here.

I too recently bought a 2013 2.5XT forester. Currently I have about 300 miles on her and the average MPG in the city has been 12MPG and driving on the freeway about 60mph has been 15MPG. At this point, 17 in the city would make me estatic!

I'm using only premium, have gone through two tanks of gas and am not heavy on my foot. I too have reset my trip odo with each fillup. I have noticed a bit of a gas smell when I park her, but nothing too extreme. However, this is discouraging since my '94 V6 ford pickup truck got better gas mileage than this :(

:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts