Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for the '04 STi BBS Wheels and plan to initially use the Stock Geolanders (off a 2008 Forester XT Sports) on the wheels. However, on the tires there's a warning that says something like "Do NOT mount on 7.5 inch width wheels". My question is, whats the reasoning behind this? Are there any safety concerns? Lastly, has anyone tried mounting those tires on 7.5 inch wide wheels?

--yamsta

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I think your reading it wrong. The warning says "do not mount on 17.5" rims", which is a common trailer size. 16" tires sometimes say "do not mount on 16.5" rims" which is a common truck size.

The stock Geos will work just fine on the 17x7.5 BBS wheels.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
they will mount up fine. btw why would you want to use the geosquealers? im guessing because you dont want to spend money... the geos suck in everyway, why not something stickier?

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your reading it wrong. The warning says "do not mount on 17.5" rims", which is a common trailer size. 16" tires sometimes say "do not mount on 16.5" rims" which is a common truck size.

The stock Geos will work just fine on the 17x7.5 BBS wheels.
Ah okay, I guess I didn't get a good look at it. I assumed 7.5 b/c I didn't even know 17.5" wheels exist! I thought they were whole sizes (17,18,19, etc).

Thanks,
--yamin

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
they will mount up fine. btw why would you want to use the geosquealers? im guessing because you dont want to spend money... the geos suck in everyway, why not something stickier?
I think the 17" Geos are a decent all season tire. They don't excel in anyone thing, but they are not horrible in any aspect either. I'd say they are a good tire for an NA Forester, but they do lack on an XT.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thats why I said "initially" :icon_wink: The weather where I live really sux right now so I want something that can handle the cold/snow for now.

Thanks,
--yamsta

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
yea i was woundering, why go bbs' then use crappy tires - its like a downgrade(even in winter conditions). a nice performance all season would be better.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i was woundering, why go bbs' then use crappy tires - its like a downgrade(even in winter conditions). a nice performance all season would be better.
Haha, you guys are almost convincing me to get some new tires. I will probably need to get some TPMS too. Any place I can get a sweet deal on TPMS sensors??

--yamsta

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
all i know about the tpms sensors are they are expensive. i never replaced the sensors, only side effect is a yellow exclamation point on the dash. you get used to it after a while lol!

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all i know about the tpms sensors are they are expensive. i never replaced the sensors, only side effect is a yellow exclamation point on the dash. you get used to it after a while lol!
Haha, the car still has warranty and I don't want to cause any concern if I have to take it in for dealer work.

--yamsta

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
the dealership wont care. the car even passes state inspection w/ the light on so youd have no worries, except the light itself. its more of an eyesore than anything else.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the dealership wont care. the car even passes state inspection w/ the light on so youd have no worries, except the light.
Interesting. Well I have the sensors now on my current wheels (aftermarket) that I'm going to try and sell so I might as well take the tires/sensors off them anyway. Does it matter if the sensor's get mixed up, meaning, does it matter if say the front passenger side sensor ends up in the driver's side? Basically, does rotating your wheels require a tpms reset?

--yamsta

1 - 12 of 12 Posts