Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's my favorite thing about the Forester. It does it all. There are compromises on all sides, sure. But it's a very capable vehicle stock, and with a few mods it can be an even more capable street machine or off road runner. It will never handle like a BRZ or crawl like a Jeep, but it can do much of both. Cheers to Subaru for making a vehicle we can all love :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
OK..to each his own. If I wanted to drive on trails like those rails, I wold have a dedicated vehicle made for them. But not everyone is in that position.

The great thing about the Forester XT, is that getting to those mountain trails is done at 25-26 mpg, the NA Foresters will enjoy even more MPG. I had the option to take the TRD FJ cruiser, but I only went half the distance on a gas tank that has 3 more gallon capacity. That 4.0 V6 is a hog, even in stock TRD form. The FJ was sold, *It* wasn’t needed.

Ive been driving these trails for over a year in my Forester. Besides 1 busted tire, I haven’t even needed an alignment. No trail damage. They’re just that capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
I’m getting a little off topic here, but the Main Reason I purchased a 2015 Forester (XT) is because I could easily modify it to sleep in it. Cost me $30 in lumber.
I could not sleep in a 4 runner (only fits someone 5’9”), Jeep(would need the 4 door and heavy mods), Tacoma (even the long bed wont fit me).

I bought my Forester XT knowing that I would make into my perfect adventure mobile. Also, coming from a 2010 WRX, the before mentioned vehicles could never satisfy me speed or handling wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m getting a little off topic here, but the Main Reason I purchased a 2015 Forester (XT) is because I could easily modify it to sleep in it. Cost me $30 in lumber.
I could not sleep in a 4 runner (only fits someone 5’9”), Jeep(would need the 4 door and heavy mods), Tacoma (even the long bed wont fit me).

I bought my Forester XT knowing that I would make into my perfect adventure mobile. Also, coming from a 2010 WRX, the before mentioned vehicles could never satisfy me speed or handling wise.

You sound like me, had an 2011 WRX, needed a sleepable slightly offroadable vehicle with better gas mileage than a Tacoma but with still decent power! Nothing else was compatible. What did you do with the lumber, even out the back portion of trunk so it's level with with front after the back seat backsupports lowered?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I ended up getting the Black Rhinos, Geolandars, and TPMS through Discount Tire Direct. Had a couple delays (Black Rhino messed up and I'm still waiting on the black lug nuts from DT), but the customer service and price were as good as expected. Look forward to trying them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh, duh, 2nd photo, that must be your spare right there. OK, new question...how are you going to transport the spare? 8^)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh, duh, 2nd photo, that must be your spare right there. OK, new question...how are you going to transport the spare? 8^)
Ha, yep, I did 5. I haven’t settled on transporting yet. I know there are some good ideas out there for raising the floor. I like all the styrofoam storage though, I have a lot of stuff in there. Maybe there’s a way to keep it? I’m going to see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know that discussion has passed, but another reason to go with narrow wheels is you're less likely to debead when aired down. I used to run wheels that were at the upper limit for the width tire I had on my Jeep and if I would get down below 15 PSI, I'd pop right off the bead. Now that I'm running wide tires on 7'' wheels I can drop all the way to 8psi and haven't debeaded yet!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey! Yay! Glad you finally decided to join us! :smile2:

Having JUST got my (four) all-terrain tires, I'm definitely undecided on the whole 5-wheel rotation thing vs. just relying on a full-sized (but mismatched) spare only in case of emergency (my SH can do the AWD > Front Wheel Drive trick if I truly needed to log serious miles on the spare).
Please explain. Thank you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts