Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 296 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
do you notice much difference in the new tires on paved roads?
Not a whole lot of driving on the new tires yet... been on 24 hour service at the rig, so I spent a whole week parked there.

The tires have a little more road noise on some road surfaces. Handling is still very good. Ride quality has not changed, for the better or worse... still a stiff ride with minimal body roll. I have not had a chance to try them out on much gravel or on wet roads.

I will be going to a new oil well starting tomorrow, which has a lot of gravel and crappy roads leading to it, so I will report back with an update after more gravel travel.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Drive out to the oil rig this morning: 45 MPH winds, sometimes a tailwind and other times a crosswind. The Geolandars seem to be slightly less affected by the crosswinds, but not much.

The 2 mile road heading to the rig is paved, but the pavement is so bad there are many gravel filled sections. Switching from pavement to broken pavement to gravel and back the Geolandars did a great job. I never felt the changes in conditions, even traveling at 45-50 mph.

The bumpiest portion of the freeway was slightly smoother... I think the rubber and sidewall might be a little softer than the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400s (stock 2014 XT tire), which helps suppress some bumps.

Just wondering if you tested the steel rim on the front? I know the manual states that a spare should only be put on the rear but I figure the full size one should eliminate this issue... I'm wondering if the bigger front discs would cause an issue with the steely. I have 17" alloys that I'm running for the winter tires and there isn't all that much clearance and I would wonder if the steel rims would have less...

MPG with geolanders

Drive out to the oil rig this morning: 45 MPH winds, sometimes a tailwind and other times a crosswind. The Geolandars seem to be slightly less affected by the crosswinds, but not much.

The 2 mile road heading to the rig is paved, but the pavement is so bad there are many gravel filled sections. Switching from pavement to broken pavement to gravel and back the Geolandars did a great job. I never felt the changes in conditions, even traveling at 45-50 mph.

The bumpiest portion of the freeway was slightly smoother... I think the rubber and sidewall might be a little softer than the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400s (stock 2014 XT tire), which helps suppress some bumps.

I'm in the oilfield as well and am thinking of upgrading to the geolanders when the time comes for new tires. I know you have not had the tires on for long but can you post an update when you have an idea on what you mpg is compared to the stocks? I work up in Wyoming and I know I will need something more aggresive when next winter hits. Thanks for all the updates.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I have 17" alloys that I'm running for the winter tires and there isn't all that much clearance and I would wonder if the steel rims would have less...
I did not test it up front, but I would imagine 17 inch rims should all be 17 inches. It should fit, but if for some reason it does not, I will put it on the rear. My main goal in buying a full size is so I can drive at full highway speeds and on all terrain without worry... none of which is allowed using a donut.

I know you have not had the tires on for long but can you post an update when you have an idea on what you mpg is compared to the stocks? I work up in Wyoming and I know I will need something more aggresive when next winter hits. Thanks for all the updates.

I will be tracking the MPGs on Fuelly. I will have a much better idea when the warm weather hits over the spring and summer.
I did drive on quite a bit of ice this morning. The tires never lost grip, even when I get it significant amounts of gas on hills. VDC never activated, nor did ABS. I was pretty impressed.

I went to my geology field camp in the bighorn basin of Wyoming near Greybull. Beautiful country up there!

I did not test it up front, but I would imagine 17 inch rims should all be 17 inches. It should fit, but if for some reason it does not, I will put it on the rear. My main goal in buying a full size is so I can drive at full highway speeds and on all terrain without worry... none of which is allowed using a donut.

Fair enough. The only reason I asked is because a tire shop mentioned the disc/calipers might be an issue on the front with steel rims (could very well have been a sales pitch). Thanks for the great info on this subject. I do a lot if highway driving and might copy this mod.

I will be tracking the MPGs on Fuelly. I will have a much better idea when the warm weather hits over the spring and summer.
I did drive on quite a bit of ice this morning. The tires never lost grip, even when I get it significant amounts of gas on hills. VDC never activated, nor did ABS. I was pretty impressed.

I went to my geology field camp in the bighorn basin of Wyoming near Greybull. Beautiful country up there!
Yes, this is beautiful country but nasty in the winter time. I found you on fuelly. Thanks for all the info you post it made my decision to buy a forester a no brainer. Was on the fence being in the oilfield. Didn't know if I would get grief for not driving a pickup. However after seeing all the pluses to the XT I don't really care. I pick mine up in Denver on the 13th. Can't wait. This seems to truly be the swiss army knife of the auto world! Fun to drive, good MPG and good enough off road to make usable in the field.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Offroading update!

Went to the offroad meet at Northwest OHV park in Bridgeport, TX. 7 Subarus there in total. Had a great time and was truly impressed with the capability of the Forester and the magical X-Mode button.

DSC_0851 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0855 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0856 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0863 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0888 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0894 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0901 by jasplund91, on Flickr

Shansen, our unofficial photographer has uploaded these photos. He drives a lowered XT but came along to take photos for us.

If you know anyone needing photography, especially automotive photos, hit him up on Flickr. He is located in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

DSC_0022 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0093 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0224 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0256 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0279 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0475 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0476 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSC_0511 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

Looks like you all had a great time, some great shots of some Fozzies get down into the stuff they were designed to get into. It looks like your new tires and mud flaps did a good job keeping your rig moving while keeping the mud at bay. :Banane35:

Thanks for the shoutout Josh! :Banane35:

Looks like you all had a great time, some great shots of some Fozzies get down into the stuff they were designed to get into. It looks like your new tires and mud flaps did a good job keeping your rig moving while keeping the mud at bay. :Banane35:
His mud flaps were too good! Couldnt get his foz all muddy lol we tried :lol:

Josh, thanks again for the great post on your tires. Your very positive posts helped me decide which model to purchase.

I picked up the XT Premium last Tuesday and made the 2 day trip home in 5 days. Hit some desolate dirt/gravel roads in Colorado, some more in Oklahoma, first interstate to get across the Mississippi around Memphis, then to Corinth, MS to run some of the TN TransAM Trail west-to-east before getting home.

The spare tire worried me. I'm going to my Discount Tire store in Kennesaw, GA today and ordering the wheel and tire you got. I've never had a vehicle with TPMS, and assume it cannot be disabled, and am wondering what happens when a spare is mounted. Also, I've read comments about keeping the circumference on all 4 tires kind-of-equal.

Do you have an opinion regarding how far you can run with your spare tire?

Oh yeah, it was snowing a little in Colorado Springs when we headed out, and I bled all 4 tires to the recommended pressure as soon as it quit snowing. Pikes Peak was open at 9 am Tuesday Morning, but the gates were closed by the time we arrived.

Here's another choice for an air compressor, which has worked very well for me.
Slime 40026 2X Heavy Duty Direct Drive Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive

Bill

21 - 40 of 296 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.