Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 manual transmission Forester X. At very small throttle openings it acts like the throttle is being opened and closed - gentle cycles of acceleration and decceleration. It isn't gear dependent. It can be felt in low gears (1 or 2) at low speeds on the flat, or going down a hill in higher gears. I'm bringing it to the dealer for this and some other problems, but I'm wondering if "they all do it" or it is a known problem that can be corrected.

Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 2002 Forester, MT, non-turbo. When I run the car at or near idle, it's also behaving like a bucking horse. I assume its a mixture of a near-stopping engine and flexibility in the drive train thats causing that. No need to worry I think. Best regards Thomas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, vavrath. Are you only in 1st or 2nd gear when you observe this? My car does this in higher gears and at higher speeds also. The key is having a very small throttle opening. I can feel it going down a hill at 55 mph in 4th or 5th gear. I'm thinking it is caused by the ECU changing the fuel addition rate from the injectors. I plan to bring the car to a dealer soon, but the closest one (where I bought the car) is 100 miles away.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ouch, then it might be better to visit the dealership better sooner than later. Mine does it only in 1st and 2nd gear when going very slow in a traffic jam. Downhill there should be nothing, because the ECU should shut down injection if you go downhill, using your engine for braking. I regularly go 5th gear at ~55mph (80km/h) and haven't noticed anything there (neither when going slightly uphill, downhill or flat).

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,354 Posts
Seems to be the engine ECU programming/injection system. My X auto does it at very light throttle when the torque converter is locked up.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not sure if the NA is different than the Turbo, but its common for the MT subies, my car bucks a lot in 1st, when i 1st got the car, i too took it to the dealership and wondered about this bucking, but its normal...

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
Doing the same bit of bucking up in first & 2nd cog of my Feb. 06/'06 Forester X2500. Mind you I have been blamming it on the engine warming up since it seems to take ages for it to warm up.

I go back to thinking of my three sportbikes, two of 150hp with four pots & fuel injection, plus my four pot 85hp four with four carbs OR a '90 Mazda 2600 4X4 carb & none of them act like the Forester. True the Mazda is no longer to compare with, due to a dramatic electronical failure & so reason for the purchase of the Forester. Still it never acted strange in its yrs of '90 till sometime in Jan of '06. Plus none of my previous cars or trucks, did not act the same & of course the strange starting up procedures of the Forester with it wanting to rev up to 5 thou from original 1,500rpm---like is fuel injection this lousy especially when not so on my two Honda four pot m/cs?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
259 Posts
I notice a problem that may be similar or not. It occurs when at about 55-60 mph, 5th gear, cruise control, it will surge a little from time to time. Most time the cruise is almost flawless and maintains a constant speed, other times it surges 3-4 mph.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - The problem has pretty gone away by itself.

I bought the car new about a month ago and now have 1,100 miles on it (including a 700 mile back road trip to Minnesota). It was so annoying to begin with, I started looking into the Michigan "Lemon Law". It is almost unnoticable now.

For the moment, I'm assuming is has something to do with the default air-fuel ratio/advance settings in the ECU and that the settings eventually changed as I drove the car more.

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
Mine has around the same milage & I to am in hope that some of the problems will soon be gone away. NO I am referring to Kilometers so a different story compared to MILES. Plus I have not been booting the power plant like I would in backroads, though twice a week it must go up an illegal roads that is to narrow, to steep, with switches or turns to tight, so it is getting a bit of abuse but only in first cog.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
My 06 has been doing this since day one. Especially while in 2nd and 3rd gear. It does this going down hill. When I take my foot off the gas and coast, it stops the bucking. If I speed up and shift up to the higher gear it stops, but when I let off the gas the bucking returns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
PeterL said:
I just bought an 06 manual transmission Forester X. At very small throttle openings it acts like the throttle is being opened and closed - gentle cycles of acceleration and decceleration. It isn't gear dependent. It can be felt in low gears (1 or 2) at low speeds on the flat, or going down a hill in higher gears. I'm bringing it to the dealer for this and some other problems, but I'm wondering if "they all do it" or it is a known problem that can be corrected.
Peter
Alas, this problem has not yet been recognized as a problem by Subaru, despite the fact that in an earlier thread many complained of the same problem, as did I. Not long ago I started a thred on this vary topic, which you should see if you haven't:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=4961

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 06 FX auto does not seem to do this in MI although i was in western NC last week and it did it almost all the time. As far as being convertor induced, I don't believe so because it also does it under very light throttle in 3rd when I believe the convertor is not locked up:shrug: ....I personally think is a lean condition just off tip off whcih should be easily fixed with a computor enhancement...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Could be caused by the ECU transitioning from closed loop to open loop?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts