Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a new set of General AltiMAX RT43 tires put on our 14 2.5i Forester. I have only been able to drive in snowy weather at this point. Night and day better than the OEM Geolanders in snow. I have yet to drive in dry or rain.

Anyone else have these on their Forester? Experiences?

I think they are by far the best value in tires available in our OEM size. I got them installed for $405 at DT! They did price match......

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will post more details on how they are compared to the Geolanders in dry and rain in the coming weeks. We will see about MPG's too. So far snow performance in much improved. The tires are 225/60/17, but the tread width is almost an inch wider than the Geolanders. They look pretty good.

DT gave me a price match from an online site that has no tax or shipping and a new year coupon code right now. They were $375 for the tires only. DT cost would have been $129 per tire or $516 for just the tires. $16 per tire installed. The Geolanders had 13k on them. DT gave me $100 trade in credit for them.

Total, $405.90 out the door installed with tax.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
these are on my short list of tires, i'd love to know how they handle in the wet weather.

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 4EAT
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FXS Auto
107 Posts
I have about 500 miles on mine. I bought them because of the ratings on Tirerack. I would not hesitate recommending them.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,583 Posts
I'm concerned with the Section Width. it is 9.6 vs 9.2 of the stock tire for 225/55/18.
The side clearance is already very tight even with stock tires; any issues?
THX

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Discount Tire recommends 235/55/18 as an alternative for our Forester I was looking at the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology which are also 9.6". I think there is a few owners running this size 235/55/18.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,583 Posts
Thanks the tip. I have 2.5i, not as much power as it is, don't know if it will affect drivability & then again, even less room for the snow chains, almost no room as it is now.
Nevertheless, would be very interested to hear from 235/55/18 owners.
Thanks

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
I am going to buy the General AltiMAX RT43 in October for my XTP and could be lowering it at the same time.

·
Registered
08? XT Sports auto
6 Posts
I got V-rated AltiMAX's for my wife's 2010 outback. They are a huge improvement over the stock Conti's... predictable handling, firmer sidewalls, quiet ride. They are great in the rain, we haven't had them long enough to see how they work in the snow.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Order a set yesterday but not for my Forester. My Stepson showed up yesterday with his two boys 1 and 2 with his Wife's 2007 XC-90. His tires looked like racing slicks they have been struggling so I purchased these from Discount Tire as a surprise for them. Rather spend $475 knowing the 1 and 2 year old is safe. Now will see how good these actually are will just put off getting mine for a couple of more months.

·
Registered
2003 FXS Auto
107 Posts
I now have over 7500 miles on mt RT43s and still recommend them. I made it thru 4 seasons in PA with no issues. I am thinking about getting another set for my son's car.

Funny you mention the Volvo SUV with bald tires...I was at the bank and there was a young family with an XC90 with bald tires in the next space.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
I am going to get a set before winter to replace the OEM tires before the first snow. I will at least get to see the tires before buying. I never saw tires as bald as these not safe. Cannot put a price on safety. How were your tires in the snow this past winter?

·
Registered
99 Forester L 5MT
39 Posts
Just put a set on my 99 SF. 215/70/15. No rubbing issues and they are extremely quiet, responsive and seem to perform well in the rain.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts