Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a new member. I own a 2016 Forester Premium with Yokohama Geolander G91 tires (225/60R17 98H). The vehicle has 19K miles and the tires are almost at the wear bars. The dealership service manager told me that they have received many complaints on the Geolander tires for tire wear. He said that they wear the fastest on the inner and outer edges (I think he called it "roll off"). The service manager recommended General Altimax RT43 tires for the Forester. Has anyone purchased the Altimax RT43? I would really appreciate any comments on replacement tires for my 2016 Forester.

Thanks,
Tbirdtony

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
I ran them on a past vehicle for about 50,000 miles they were great for the first 20 or so and then they started to lose traction all around despite having good tread life left. They seem to be using a harder firmer rubber in the lower layers of the compound to increase life but decreased grip as it wears. I would not buy them again.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
117 Posts
While my '15 Forester still has it's original Geolanders (18k miles), I have an old Volvo with the General Altimax RT43s. I had previously run Michelin and Yokohama tires on the Volvo and I was never very impressed with the ride or the handling. A friend asked me one day how I liked the Volvo and I told him it's comfortable but the handling isn't impressive. I might as well have bought a Ford or a Chevy wagon.

Enter the General Altimax and I have a brand new luxury wagon. That '08 V70 wagon turned into a new vehicle. It rides better. It's quieter and it holds the road better even when the roads are wet. Now maybe Scooby 24 is correct about the changes in that tire over time but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set...and Consumer Reports agrees.

I'm not pleased with how my Forester rides. It'd choppy and stiff like a small truck but when the time comes I'll put Generals on it. They're made by Continental BTW.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
billshoff2,
Thanks for the information. I've been reading up on tires for a 2016 Forester and the General Altimax RT43, Continental TrueContact Tour, and Michelin Defender seem to be the ones that are always on the top 3 list. I'll go out tomorrow and check the local General Tire dealer and check his price. I know that I can order them from Walmart with free shipping to my local store. Thanks again.

Tbirdtony

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring CVT
98 Posts
I’m on my second set of Yoko G91, Both sets were bad. First set replaced under tire warranty for free. Now needs tires again and only at 51,000 on 14 Forester. My 3 choices are Goodyear Weatherready, Conti true contact tour, and Michelin Defender T + H. Goodyear’s lead only cause of rebates and no payments for 6 months.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
46 Posts
I ran them on a past vehicle for about 50,000 miles they were great for the first 20 or so and then they started to lose traction all around despite having good tread life left. They seem to be using a harder firmer rubber in the lower layers of the compound to increase life but decreased grip as it wears. I would not buy them again.
If not the Altimax, what do you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
260 Posts
I have used the Altimax RT43s on several cars over the past 10 years (' 97 Honda Civic, '99 Ford Contour, 2002 Honda Accord, 2005 Chevrolet Venture, 2013 Kia Soul) and have been very happy with them. Except for the Contour (which ate tires in spite of alignments), I typically got about 50K miles on them before they were down to 1/4 tread. We get some good snows here in the mountains of West Virginia, and they do pretty well considering they are not "winter" tires, and all of these previous vehicles were just front wheel drive. Pretty quiet, and smooth riding. The price is right, too. I get them at WalMart and get the lifetime balance/rotation for $10/tire.

When our new '19 Forester (base) Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires get too worn, I will be changing to the Altimax again. Can't wait to see how they do in the snow with All-Wheel-Drive!

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
If not the Altimax, what do you recommend? Thanks
There are a ton of tires because everyone will prioritize different aspects of the tires differently. I'm not generally a fan of the jack of all trades tires as they Excel at nothing. I prioritize dry and wet grip with cornering stability over top snow traction, quietest and softer ride, etc. So most probably wouldn't care for my recommendations.

My top all around pick is usually a Michelin. They are about the only brand who's produced a tire that truly does Excel in most categories and gives up very little. The primacy tour A/S that was recently released looks extremely promising.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
I put General Altimax RT43s on my 2006 Scion xB for the last few years before I sold it. I liked them so much I put them on our 2008 Buick Lucerne, where they have about 25,000 miles so far. They are inexpensive, nice riding tires.

For my Forester, when it was new I replaced the noisy Geolandars with Michelin Primacy. Two years ago when they reached 50,000 miles, I went with the current equivalents, Michelin Premier. More expensive than Altimax, but I think they handle better and last longer.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,309 Posts
I have the RT43s on my 15. They have 18k miles of hard driving and they show little wear. They are great on dry and do fantastic in the rain. They also preform very well in the snow. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll be replacing the Geolanders with General Altimax RT43 tires. Thanks again.
Tbirdtony

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
544 Posts
If you were not aware...the General Altimax RT43 was the top rated all season tire in the November 2018 issue of Consumer Reports. I installed them on my Forester last month and am pleased so far.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
7 Posts
I have Michelin Defenders put on mine and removed the geolanders. The steering was slower than I wanted, they squealed in parking garages which says the tread is stiff and hard. That goes with the stiff steering. Michelin makes a Premier which is also a great tire. The General tire he reccomended is $100 less per tire but more suitable for FWD cars. I would only use either of the two Michelins.I used the defender two times on a 10 year old Hand Fit. It save me lots of highway stress the way it improved my sense of confidence at highway speeds.I have come home again.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 4EAT
46 Posts
I ran General Altimax RT43's on my 2005 Impreza Outback Sport. I thought they handled well in bad weather (and were rated very well for traction- for an all- season tire). I will consider them again.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
448 Posts
Based on Consumer Reports and Tire Rack reviews and the price I couldn't pass up getting the RT43. No complaints after a couple years with them in all types of conditions.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
If you were not aware...the General Altimax RT43 was the top rated all season tire in the November 2018 issue of Consumer Reports. I installed them on my Forester last month and am pleased so far.
Depends upon the speed-rating of the Altimax RT43 you are buying. Consumer Reports tested two versions of the Altimax RT43. They compared the version with a "V" speed rating against other "performance all-season tires" and it came in third behind the Michelin CrossClimate+ and the Continental Pure Contact. However, the "T" version of the Altimax RT43 was ranked on top of its "all-season" category. Since Subaru specifies a H or V rated tire for modern Foresters, you may have trouble getting a tire shop to mount the top-rated "T" version of the tire.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
46 Posts
There are a ton of tires because everyone will prioritize different aspects of the tires differently. I'm not generally a fan of the jack of all trades tires as they Excel at nothing. I prioritize dry and wet grip with cornering stability over top snow traction, quietest and softer ride, etc. So most probably wouldn't care for my recommendations.

My top all around pick is usually a Michelin. They are about the only brand who's produced a tire that truly does Excel in most categories and gives up very little. The primacy tour A/S that was recently released looks extremely promising.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium 4EAT
9 Posts
I thoroughly liked the RT43s on my '06 Outback. The first year they were tops in snow; second year they didn't do nearly as well (despite a decent tread remaining), and convinced me that winter tires really would be worth a try. They held up well to the curves and potholes of northern WV, and I plan to go this route when the tires that came on my Forester finish wearing out (though I have been impressed at how those Blizzaks held up in August...).

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0XT
46 Posts
I have a 17 XT. What would be the issue in going to a 235 vs the standard 225? Also does Discount Tire sell them in the V rated?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts