Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gear Head's '98 S - From Stocker to Stalker (Eventually)

Hello All,

First off, my name is James and i'm the now proud owner of a 1998 Forester S model with about ~161,000 miles on the clock. I picked it up last week and i come from the Honda side *gasp* where i had 2 civics, both of which i turbo'ed and modded the hell out of.

So the car needs some work but it's going to be my new project car. the positives are that the timing belt/wp/valve covers and a slew of gaskets were just replaced along with some balls joints, etc...it does have the DOHC EJ25D so i'm being vigilant about the head gaskets.

Here is a picture of the ol' girl a day or two after i got it:

here's how she sits with winter tires (12/30/13)

here is her now with some summer tires on and fresh wheel bearings (4/6/14)

there will be a lot of posts from me in the future regarding technical issues!

My current list of future mods are going to include:
-Rear HB Brake upgrade
-Front STi Rotors/

-Exhaust with a Borla UEL Header (probably) and some sort of Magnaflow muffler

-Suspension (this one is shot!) with perhaps some WRX struts/springs.

-Remove my remote start and alarm from my old civic
-New stereo w/ Bluetooth and perhaps a side mounted subwoofer...

-New wheels and tires of course.. powdercoat/paint the stock wheels for winter.

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i already had to tackle the clock and overhead map lights:

i took the clock all apart (thanks to the sticky here on this forum) and re-soldered the TWO resistors, one had like fell completely off:

so then i took it on a maiden voyage over the weekend to go camping/stay at our beach house:

I got back home after the weekend and picked up some parts at my local AutoZone... i'm starting the rear rotor upgrade and wanted to slap some paint on the rotors and brackets so it doesnt rust all to hell:

.....and this is where i am at for the night :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so picking up where i had left off LAST weekend:

drilling out/off the dust shield in the rear which was drilling out the 9 or so rivets that hold on the sheet metal:

all assembled, painted and looking purdy :icon_biggrin:

comparison!

painted rotors and bracket are that from the HB6..

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the other side i actually had to get a whole new caliper because this one was frozen or not working,

the old rotor friction surface was rusted still whereas the left side was nice and shiny as it's supposed to be:

...........................................................................................

so then a few days later:

i pulled the dash to replace the cluster lights and wire up my fog lights independently of the headlights.... thanks in HUGE part to the DIY on this forum

don't forget to have a cold one!

/... so that was up until yesterday, during the week i was gathering parts...

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WRX front rotors: nice and painted:

so while i was at it i decided that i wanted to paint my stock wheels and i found a DIY over on the G35 forum using plasti-dip and dulpicolor's wheel paint: i chose to use graphite color.. interested to see what it looks like on the vehicle:

comparison of front brake components: just the rear was a huge improvement, I'm excited for all 4 corners

oops! rear axle is gone :icon_wink:
this thing was CLUNKING and CLICKING so i'm really needing to replace it.... also took the time to drain the rear diff fluid and going to replace it with MOBIL 1 Synthetic stuff...

Painted the front calipers:

got the wrong brackets so back off to the auto parts store... i AINT paying that $75.00 core lol

·
Registered
2002 WRX Sedan 5MT
592 Posts
Looked in good in person man, Don't forget to throw some pictures of the put together version, eh?
Also, How many cans of Plastidip did you need for your Wheels man?

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked in good in person man, Don't forget to throw some pictures of the put together version, eh?
Also, How many cans of Plastidip did you need for your Wheels man?
awesome sir... thank you :icon_biggrin:

your rig is looking quite nice!!

so i'm going to update this now lol....

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front Brakes done:

Buuuuuuut there was a problem:
the ****ing caliper BRACKET was rubbing on the ROTOR and making a god awful sound and whenever you would use the brakes hard they would heat up make it worse so i had to dremel the **** out of it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
sooo i went down to my local exhaust shop and got me a magnaflow straight - thru muffler and deleted the resonator, added a great sound but it was missing a few touches...

added me some 3000K fog lights and removed the grills:

annnnd also removed the silencer:

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suspension Time

So i picked up a full take off suspension from a guy i met at the beer fest in downtown P-Town and they were off of a 2004 WRX Wagon which was great for the spring rate in the rears... needless to say that my stock forester suspension was absolutely shot...

comparisons:

this was how i removed the rear brake lines, i took my dremel tool with a cut off wheel:

i tried the suspension without these first:

and looked like:

added them and afterwards:

OVERALL: i LOVE the suspension, it rides just like stock with a mild drop, i still have my ground clearance and it doesnt rattle and bounce forever like an old *** camry with blown shocks :icon_cool:

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
removed all the tint with a garmet steamer:

took 'er outdoors:

Painted the grill flat black with plasti-dip:

thheeennn:

i added this this past weekend:

this is the oil filter clearance... it rubs on almost everything lol

Kinda painted my mudflaps red as well, dunno how i feel about them:

up next:

-rear sway bar
-cat pipe for a little more rumble
-cleaning
-major engine seal(s) and clutch.. OEM style

any way to get more power out of this thing?

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/tb 5 speed
1,350 Posts
Hey buddy, welcome to the Subaru side of things! I'm sure you'll love it, I've been in the Honda scene as well (Had a JDM EG6 SiR & H22 swapped EG coupe) loved both cars but really glad I made the switch & all the Subau guys are awesome very helpful people. Looks like you're already heading ib the right direction I look forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
2000 Forester 6MT STI
593 Posts
Welcome aboard, loving your foz already, careful with the UEL headers rubbing against the oil filter though a few people have had the headers burn a whole through them....

Clinically how'd you deal with the h22 hood clearance issue on the EG?

·
Registered
2002 WRX Sedan 5MT
592 Posts
Loving it man, Good work.
I have sedan springs in the back and I'm thinking I'm going to need loads of spacing... :p

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey buddy, welcome to the Subaru side of things! I'm sure you'll love it, I've been in the Honda scene as well (Had a JDM EG6 SiR & H22 swapped EG coupe) loved both cars but really glad I made the switch & all the Subau guys are awesome very helpful people. Looks like you're already heading ib the right direction I look forward to seeing more.
haha awesome! yeah thanks... my honda was super fun, i had traction issues though with my ~250whp ... i'm hoping to eventually have my suby up to that where 4 wheel traction will be an issue :rock:

Welcome aboard, loving your foz already, careful with the UEL headers rubbing against the oil filter though a few people have had the headers burn a whole through them...

Clinically how'd you deal with the h22 hood clearance issue on the EG?
yeah... you know, it's SUPER close to the oil filter, like a couple mm away i would guess, i'm hoping the heat doesnt burst it or something... how does your uel run against the filter? i know you have a 5mt right?

Loving it man, Good work.
I have sedan springs in the back and I'm thinking I'm going to need loads of spacing... :p
hahaha.... how did that rear sedan spring set up work out? i know you said it was slaaaamed? did you end up taking it out?

^^^ yeah clinically...have a fun time cutting a hole in the hood on the EG for the H22?

·
Registered
2000 Forester 6MT STI
593 Posts
yeah... you know, it's SUPER close to the oil filter, like a couple mm away i would guess, i'm hoping the heat doesnt burst it or something... how does your uel run against the filter? i know you have a 5mt right?

^^^ yeah clinically...have a fun time cutting a hole in the hood on the EG for the H22?[/QUOTE]

Here's a shot of my UELs with the Filter, and yeah I have a 5MT
When I went to buy a new filter I asked for the part numbers for every filter that would work with my car and opened each box until I found the smallest one. Conclusion I came up with is either the Mobil1 filter or OEM Subaru filter is your best bet at avoiding any clearance issues.
Hey he could have used hood spacers and had it spaced in the back a few inches instead of cutting a hole.

·
Registered
2002 WRX Sedan 5MT
592 Posts
Yeah man, its pretty floored.
I got some rear wagon springs for cheap, now I'm in the midst of A wrx engine/tranny swap...

·
Registered
2002 WRX Sedan 5MT
592 Posts
Short shoulder ones do fine. Someone told me miata ones work. Not sure if that's true

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Short shoulder ones do fine. Someone told me miata ones work. Not sure if that's true
Any update in your UEL headers and the oil filter? My only worry before I put them on.
yes sir! .... so i went to autozone and sized up the oil filters they had in stock...

here you can see that the Mobil 1 filter is BY FAR the smallest one and of course the most expensive one. but it has the pressure plug and a decent capacity... and it's not FRAM lol

here are some clearances:

·
Registered
1998 S 6MT!
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also!! installed my Hella Supertones... loud *** bastards, used the stock horn wire as a trigger for the relay:

and the next weekend... i replaced the front CV axles:

is was SOOOOO bad, i had to actually grind the axle nut off because a 6 ft breaker bar and me STANDING on it would not break it free, i had my GF mash the brake pedal while i bounced on the wrench.... then the ball joints wouldnt break free... it was a nightmare, those roll pins SUCK!!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts