Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to order a Yakima Skybox 16S which they list at a very reasonable price. after placing my order which did not list shipping costs the company contacted me and told me the shipping would be an additional 300$, nearly doubling the cost of the item. I contacted the company and inquired about this and they were not going to budge even when I quoted other more reasonable shipping costs that other companies were offering. (amazon ~7$)

Not a fan of the shady way they handled this

oh and the service number said hit 3 for customer service and when you do it says 3 is not a valid number, forcing you to chose sales. :puke:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,877 Posts
Check to see if their is a dealer of Yakima, near you. Plenty of bicycle shops are agents. If you find one local, see what pricing they can offer. Its winter and any sales adds to their volume. I'm not sure of the states but my local bike shop said with Yakima the more sales the better prices they eventually get, not so with Thule. Ask for a quote including shipping to the dealer so you can pickup then see if they can do better on the price once you have the quote. You might find someone eager to place an order and flip a sale quickly and for less than retail. It's worth a try. :shrug: Also dealers will be ready to place their spring stocking orders and if you're not in a hurry it may be worth the wait if the price is right.

Keep in mind it is a large item to ship.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see if their is a dealer of Yakima, near you. Plenty of bicycle shops are agents. If you find one local, see what pricing they can offer. Its winter and any sales adds to their volume. I'm not sure of the states but my local bike shop said with Yakima the more sales the better prices they eventually get, not so with Thule. Ask for a quote including shipping to the dealer so you can pickup then see if they can do better on the price once you have the quote. You might find someone eager to place an order and flip a sale quickly and for less than retail. It's worth a try. :shrug: Also dealers will be ready to place their spring stocking orders and if you're not in a hurry it may be worth the wait if the price is right.

Keep in mind it is a large item to ship.
thanks so much for the info. i dont mind if it costs a ton to ship .. i just wont get it online (as you suggested) but i did mind how it was handled.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
and they were not going to budge even when I quoted other more reasonable shipping costs that other companies were offering. (amazon ~7$)
Bwahahaha.. $7 to ship a skybox!? have you seen these things??
they are 6ft long and weigh close to 60lbs!!
I guarantee you would be in for an 'adjustment' if you wanted that price..

Seriously though look around for a used one, people buy them all the time and then don't need it or don't have the room to store it.. We got our 18S for half price and it was one season old... keep watching..

How much for hand delivery? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bwahahaha.. $7 to ship a skybox!? have you seen these things??
they are 6ft long and weigh close to 60lbs!!
I guarantee you would be in for an 'adjustment' if you wanted that price..

Seriously though look around for a used one, people buy them all the time and then don't need it or don't have the room to store it.. We got our 18S for half price and it was one season old... keep watching..

How much for hand delivery? :biggrin:
yeah i ordered it off amazon i will report how this goes, i have ordered huge things before via ebay or amazon and had free shipping, even when they had to have someone deliver it in a truck, we got a full cedar playground set.

so far no problems from the order lol but it has only been 24 hours

1 - 8 of 8 Posts