Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Gauge cluster question

('09-'13) 
3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Superacerc 
#1 ·
I will be adding the SMY ClusterMaker in the near. I will be putting a boost gauge in and was wondering what most of you put in for a second gauge? What name brand gauges are good and work in this pod. In years past I always used Auto Meter gauges in my 69 SS Big Block Camaro.

Thanks
Bob

#4 ·
I think a lot of "which gauge to use" is what you intend to do with your Forester. I installed the ProSport electronic boost and electronic oil pressure gauges in mine. My Ultragauge setup already monitors most everything else I wanted.

#12 ·
Have lost oil pressure 3 times now

1)2133cc vw type 1, 1/8th mile track, blew the #3 cyl out the side of the case, snapped the crank in 2, and the cam in 3 places...all due to a broken oil pump gear keyway. NO gauge, no way to know, suspect I snapped the keyway on the warmup/burnout.
2)427CI GM big block, pulling a run, 1/2 way down the track lost all pressure, shut it down, saved the $15,000 motor. Secondary oil filter line failed.
3)Laguna Seca, 84 Honda on a track day, zero pressure registered, shut down, saved motor, oil cooler line failed

My point was, there really is no reason to have a A/F guage if you are not protecting all the other far more important things. If the A/F goes off a little, you are more than likely not going to eat a motor...oil pressure goes, and your screwed.

I would just hate to see new guys getting into tuning, to think a A/F is all you need and ignore the important lifeblood of a motor.

#15 ·
Some touchy replies here, lol. It seems that everyone does agree that the Oil Pressure/Boost/AFR are important. A third gauge spot may be needed.

As for tuning once and done, I haven't stopped tuning since I started well over a year ago. Always looking for something better. And with the crappy stock inlets that tear easy, the AFR gauge is a good indicator it's gone wrong.

I do need to add an oil pressure gauge though so I'm glad some of you guys mentioned a 2 in 1 AFR boost gauge. I'll be checking that out.

#16 ·
I ordered the Coob V3 Access Port so the cluster and gauges are on hold for now. The access port has gauges you can display so I will use that for now. I wrapped the downpipe tonight and will paint it next weekend. That's it for mods now. I hope to have the VF52 and CNT downpipe installed over Thanks Giving weekend.
Thanks for the tips and advice.

Bob

#18 ·
I bit the bullet and ordered he SMY Cluster. I took Superacec's advice and ordered the AEM gauges (AFR and Boost). I will be ordering an oil pressure gauge in the future as well. Thanks for the advice. That's it for now? It's never ending once you start. Wish list
Pro Tune
TMIC from Ray
GS BOV
GS Oil Catch
Fuel Pump
Larger Injectors for E85
Turbo Blanket from Superacec

#21 ·
Update! The VF52 and CNT downpipe were installed. The bad- it had the PO277 code or something like that. I looked it up on the accessport and cleared it. I reinstalled a stage 2 WRX map and it's running good. I put 170 miles on today in crappy driving conditions (6 inches of snow and icy roads) and averaged 27mpg. I was up to 27.3 at one time which I though was pretty good. Pro tune next. I really didn't get into the turbo too much with the conditions the way they are.

#22 ·
Just needs adjusting. Sounds like the P0244 code waste gate solenoid range a performance. Once you get a full tune youll get rid of that. It does come back every so often though. I had an issue with that whenever it was cold out or there was very dense air and the car would slightly overboost. Since I monitor a secondary boost gauge with an overboost alarm I turned that code off so it wouldn't annoy me anymore.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.